(solved) My Nlite'd Cds won't boot in all computers

spystyle

Hello from Maine,

I make a nice skinny XP SP3 with driverpacks, I really like it.

Most computers will boot it, but occasionally I get a real rebellious computer that will boot a factory XP SP2 CD, but not a burned Nlite'd DVD. And yes these are DVD rom drives LOL.

What am I removing that is causing this ? Are there any removable components that aid in a bios accepting the disk as a boot source ?

Thanks,

Craig

Edited by spystyle

Has nothing to do with nLite unless you are using the built in burner. Probably the media or something. What are you using to burn the disk?

BTW, nLite is for personal use only. Are you using these commercially?

Disclaimer : Personal use only, I obey every law without question, I respect every dictator, I am a mindless consumer.

Anyway, I am using Nero to burn the disks.

Come to think of it, maybe I should try to fit it on a CD and maybe I should try burning it with Nlite (?)

I guess I should have tried that before posting LOL

But the DVDs I make do work on most computers, that's why it's funky.

OK thanks, Craig

Some readers/writers will read DVD+R/RW, some DVD-R/RW, some either. Take note of the DVD hardware specifications in question.

CD's, in general, will always boot (unless really-really-old CD-reader and/or PC BIOS)

Edited by submix8c

Thanks I'll try that :)

I am glad to know there isn't a specific component I am removing that is causing the problem :)

edit :

well, just burning the DVD with Nlite did not solve the problem

I can only deduce that some older computer's bios are only willing to boot CD and not DVD

I'll try making another XP with driverpacks but no video, sound, and 3rd party drivers (those are pretty big) in an effort to fit it on a CD

:)

Edited by spystyle

Forgot to mention (re - BIOS) - If multiple (i.e. 2 on same cable) CD/DVD hardware some BIOS boot from either/or (newer) and some (older) only boot from first-one-found or second-one-found (on cable). Depends on BIOS. In addition, optical readers (depending on BIOS) may not boot (when multiple) is on different cable (also dependent on "order").

BIOS are weird (depending on manufacturer/age)!