Knowing what update / upgrade pack to use

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

I know that a lot of people have put a lot of work into collecting files, organizing them, testing them, packaging them, etc. It's a lot of good work, and I and I'm sure a lot of other people thank those that do it.

But here I am, about to create a master win-98 install image for a new PC, and I am truly baffled by the various packages, installers, or collections of files that all claim to be "win-98 this" or "win-98 that".

What I'm looking for is a single file (or at least a CLEAR road-map of as few files as possible) that will take a virgin installation of Win-98se and add every known, official or unofficial patch, fix, or update from Microsoft, plus all generally-useful (or even necessary) functional enhancement (such as comprehensive USB device support, selective win-ME file replacements, enhanced esdi-506 IDE driver, etc).

Trying to figure out how to get to that point (from, say, here: http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php) is driving me crazy.

I can't believe I'm the only one in this situation. What is needed is this:

"The practical (or dummies) guide to third-party Win-98 Update and Enhancement packages."

But until someone writes such a guide, can someone tell me what files or packages will do what I'm looking for?

...create a master win-98...baffled by the various packages...

What I'm looking for is a single file (or at least a CLEAR road-map of as few files as possible) that will take a virgin installation of Win-98se and add every known, official or unofficial patch, fix, or update from Microsoft, plus all generally-useful (or even necessary) functional enhancement (such as comprehensive USB device support, selective win-ME file replacements, enhanced esdi-506 IDE driver, etc).

"The practical (or dummies) guide to third-party Win-98 Update and Enhancement packages."

... can someone tell me what files or packages will do what I'm looking for?

1 - AutoPatcher - All files (Official+Unofficial) as-of December 2008. List is attached in thread (link is in MDGX website). Mostly selectable, generally uninstallable, extras included. No Slipstream since each package is an Installer.

2 - 98SE SP2 - No selections available. Go to Website (link is in MDGX website. Two links back to associated MSFN topics (one to thread, other to Slipstream/Installation Guide).

3 - UBCD98 Driver Pack still available (from defunct/removed UBCD98 topic) on MDGX website.

4 - There's another Topic for WUPG98 that may/may-not coincide with 1 and 2 above.

5 - There's also a link right at the top to "Post-SP2 Fixes" (FredLedingue).

6 - All other files are listed in MDGX website.

Go the the associated topics/websites to get your list and you decide (and test, naturally). FYI, to "double-check" for Fixes at the MS Website (your option), you'll need to "fix" the link to the V4 WindowsUpdate. There's a topic (at MSFN) for that as well. This "fix" is incorporated into AutoPatcher. Not sure about others. Here's the link. (EDIT! USE OPTION #3 IN DOWNLOAD!)

Edited by submix8c

Guest wsxedcrfv

1 - AutoPatcher

2 - 98SE SP2

3 - UBCD98 Driver Pack

4 - There's another Topic for WUPG98 that may/may-not coincide with 1 and 2 above.

5 - There's also a link right at the top to "Post-SP2 Fixes"

6 - All other files are listed in MDGX website.

7 - Go the the associated topics/websites to get your list and you decide

That is not my idea of a clear roadmap.

It's a list of ingredients - but it doesn't tell me how to bake this cake.

That's not a "list of ingredients"... it's three flavors of "cake" (methods vary, but still a "cake").

You have 3 options (all "single file" solutions, duh!) -

1 - AutoPatcher - Update after Initial Install

2 - SESP2.x/3.x - Update after install or "slipstream"

3 - WUPG98 - Similar to AutoPatcher, but "not selectable"

MDGx keeps a list of Official and Unofficial on MSFN as well as these 3 projects - follow the "Stickies".

The only other option is UBCD and I'm not ready to F#$% with that right now as I have my own personal projects. Even so, many files might need updated (based on MDGx' Updated list), e.g NUSB.

Read the lists and judge for yourself. Each has a different method; download the one you choose and test it for yourself. UBCD was based on AutoPatcher and used Unattended method of which I've (and others) tried to help you with (say "thanx").

Edited by submix8c

Hmm, you know what, that sums it up for me, Autopatcher (also by name) is the tool for turning virgin OS into fully updated OS (December 2008).

All you have to do is keep an eye on mdgx'x list for things after 08' and also try 98-me, kex and rp.

Trev

P.s. Everyone gets confused from time to time.

Hmm, you know what, that sums it up for me, Autopatcher (also by name) is the tool for turning virgin OS into fully updated OS (December 2008).

All you have to do is keep an eye on mdgx'x list for things after 08' and also try 98-me, kex and rp.

Trev

P.s. Everyone gets confused from time to time.

Note - All 3 "also try" are in AP98 - the reason I said "as-of Dec. '08" and mentioned MDGx for "updates".

Again, judge for yourself. "To each their own". Generally speaking, these packages should prevent "Blue Screens", but there may be other "fixes/workarounds" you may need (since you're installing to a rather new Asrock MoBo).

Attached is the AP98 list (as-of '07, not including the Update).

FIXES.txt

Edited by submix8c

That's not a "list of ingredients"... it's three flavors of "cake" (methods vary, but still a "cake").

You have 3 options (all "single file" solutions, duh!) -

1 - AutoPatcher - Update after Initial Install

2 - SESP2.x/3.x - Update after install or "slipstream"

3 - WUPG98 - Similar to AutoPatcher, but "not selectable"

MDGx keeps a list of Official and Unofficial on MSFN as well as these 3 projects - follow the "Stickies".

The only other option is UBCD and I'm not ready to F#$% with that right now as I have my own personal projects. Even so, many files might need updated (based on MDGx' Updated list), e.g NUSB.

Read the lists and judge for yourself. Each has a different method; download the one you choose and test it for yourself. UBCD was based on AutoPatcher and used Unattended method of which I've (and others) tried to help you with (say "thanx").

WUP98 exists since 2005.

So you may say "Autopatcher is simiar to WUPG98 but "selectable" and is 300 mb big (WUPG98 not even 30 MB slim) because it exists of dozens of unofficial updates and a lot of updates from 1998 till 200x.

WUPG98 has even 1 update from 2010 included.

Anyway the main different is that you cannot select updates in the now nearly 6 years old WUPG98 because of its reliability in the former setup routine which never changed. Its called Upgrade Pack because it doesn't only install updates but other good things too (like Movie Maker 1, Internet Games etc,a "Superbar" alternative etc.)

And 98SE SP2 (existing since 2004) is the first ever unofficial Service Pack that existed on this board and was main idea for many now know packs/patchers.

Edited by winxpi

Such a file would have several problems. Where do you draw the line on what's included? Should it include IE6? WMP9 modified to install on 98? A complete single file would be huge, and very difficult for those who don't have high speed internet to download. Unless a lot of components are optional, a single file could end up installing items others don't need or want, like all the IE6 updates on a 98lite system that doesn't have IE. If users are given the option of selecting the items they want, what real advantage would this have over downloading the individual updates? The user still has to make the decisions.

I don't see a single update that contains everything as a viable option. What would be useful IMO would be to combine a lot of the updates into component packages. A core component package could include NUSB, the shell update, the copy 2GB fix, the hard drive size limitation fix, 98kernel update, and non-IE updates. Another could include everything related to IE6, MDAC, etc. IMO, KernelEX and RP9 should remain separate for now as they are both being updated regularly. In the future when they're more or less finished, they could be combined into a 98 enhancement upgrade. To me, the updates look like they could be combined into 3 or 4 independent packages that could be used separately or in combination, depending on the users setup. As for the way it is right now, I definitely agree. It can be confusing. MDGX's site is definitely comprehensive, to the point of being an overload. A lot of the updates overlap and duplicate. It's hard to tell what is and isn't included in the packages, and at times even harder to determine which ones you need.

I don't see a single update that contains everything as a viable option. What would be useful IMO would be to combine a lot of the updates into component packages. A core component package could include NUSB, the shell update, the copy 2GB fix, the hard drive size limitation fix, 98kernel update, and non-IE updates. Another could include everything related to IE6, MDAC, etc. IMO, KernelEX and RP9 should remain separate for now as they are both being updated regularly. In the future when they're more or less finished, they could be combined into a 98 enhancement upgrade. To me, the updates look like they could be combined into 3 or 4 independent packages that could be used separately or in combination, depending on the users setup. As for the way it is right now, I definitely agree. It can be confusing. MDGX's site is definitely comprehensive, to the point of being an overload. A lot of the updates overlap and duplicate. It's hard to tell what is and isn't included in the packages, and at times even harder to determine which ones you need.

You probably never will. People tend to lose interest over the years, move on to other things,

whatever the case may be. I don't understand why there are so many packs that serves the same purpose.

Then these packs get outdated or full of bugs and now we are ..........

Why not have 3 main packs with optional features with No 3rd party software

1. System files/apps only (reg tweaks sys performance etc...)

2. IE 6 all updates/outlook express

3. Mdac, Dotnetfx, etc...

each pack can be downloaded separate and only applied as needed.

Why not have 3 main packs with optional features with No 3rd party software

1. System files/apps only (reg tweaks sys performance etc...)

2. IE 6 all updates/outlook express

3. Mdac, Dotnetfx, etc...

each pack can be downloaded separate and only applied as needed.

If you want to take the time, download AP and modify it accordingly. It's all done with BAT files... Maybe you should contact soporific for his approval first. ;)

Note that the others are prepackaged and "not selectable", in addition you would have to inspect each file and determine whether a newer one is available or if any should just be removed.

edit - For the other packages I guess you could request the authors to create the packages you suggest as they're still active projects. Doubt if soporific will bother as he's moved on AFAIK.

Edited by submix8c

I've always liked the Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.3.05 for Windows 98SE ... includes all the following and installs everything very easy.

Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.3.05 for Windows 98SE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Includes more than 100 updates received from service WindowsUpdate and from Microsoft web site.

* Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives (NUSB 3.3).

* Native support WIA and PTP (WIA 1.1).

* Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

* Support for hard drives larger than 137GB (BHDD 3.1).

* Zip-folders (Optional components)

* Spider Solitaire (Optional components)

* The detailed description of the order of installation Windows 98SE, necessary updates and components.

* Includes:

mdcu305e.exe - Actually file of a update

wininst305e.txt - description of the order of installation

pchio98.exe - see wininst300e.txt

q313829fix.exe - see wininst300e.txt

bhdd31e.zip - Support for hard drives larger than 137GB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

english - http://rapidshare.co...CU305E.ZIP.html

russian - http://rapidshare.co...CU305R.ZIP.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Size: ~16mB

What's new:

add:

*Unofficial 951072

*Unofficial MSVBVM60.DLL (6.0.9802)

*Unofficial Crypt Update

*ZipFolders and 329048 (Optional components)

*Spider (Win Me) (Optional components)

*Unofficial extrac32.exe (WinXPSP2), cabinet.dll (WinXPSP2), regsvr32.exe (Win2000SP4)

*sens.dll(IE6sp1)

*scandisk.exe (WinMe)

...... it's on page 7 in the "Windows 9x Member Projects" forum ... it's another one to look at.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a thing i've not understood... for a possible way i'd like to follow

I'd like to do this

- Fresh 98 Se install

- 98SE 2 ME

- Kernel Ex

- Revolution Pack

Is it in the right order? Where is WMP10 ?

What can I add to this line?

Are there any DUPLICATED things?

There is a thing i've not understood... for a possible way i'd like to follow

I'd like to do this

- Fresh 98 Se install

- 98SE 2 ME

- Kernel Ex

- Revolution Pack

Is it in the right order? Where is WMP10 ?

What can I add to this line?

Are there any DUPLICATED things?

Autopatcher is still needed? Or all pre-2008 fix are already incluced into uno of preceding pack ? The 'Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.3.05 for Windows 98SE? is an alternative to autoppatcher or is something to install AFTER appliying autopatcher?

sorry for my english...