msgsrv32(Not responding) - Solution

rodalsa

I had a severe attack of this malady. I found many references to it on the internet along with suggestions for solving it. I found few solutions. All attempts to apply the suggestions and solutions failed until....

I have not been bothered with the msgsrv32(Not responding) message since 02/01/11 7:47 PM -- and that with heavy use of my computer utilizing typical program usage and the test sequence of program operations that I finally found would reliably trigger the fault. It is now 02/04/11 8:31 PM.

How did I do it?

I cleaned out all of the Win 98se components except the following...

ACCESSORIES

Calculator

Imaging

Paint

WordPad

MULTIMEDIA

Audio Compression

CD Player

Macromedia Shockwave

Macromedia Shockwave Flash

Sound Recorder

Video Compression

Volume Control

SYSTEM TOOLS

Character Map

Immediately my test sequence was clear of all problems for four iterations. Prior to the clean out every use of the sequence bombed.

I removed in excess of 14 components during this operation. I will not list them here. I also will not attempt to define exactly which one of or combination of them produced the problem. <-- enough is enough!

Night has turned into day!

I place this post here hoping it may help some of those that have suffered with this malady.

Rod

For me to believe is insufficient for you to know.

-rodalsa-

Edited by rodalsa

You know, I remember working my first tech job and encountered this issue quite often. At that time I had actually gone about and debugged Win98 and determined a clear-cut solution to msgsrv32 errors and problems. Unfortunately, that was so long ago that I forgot it (and how to debug Win9x) :(

But just seeing that file name for the first time in 10 years warmed by heart! :lol:

rodalsa ... I have had this problem "msgsrv32(Not responding)" on and off for years. I can go for weeks and nothing happens then "msgsrv32(Not responding)" shows up for a few times. I've noticed it seems to mostly happen when I'm on the interent or at least I think so. I have searched on Google as to what "msgsrv32(Not responding)" exactly means ... I did notice many others also having the same problem and looking for answers. I'm glad you posted some information on this, I really didn't find much help to the problem. I guess you mean to "delete" when you say ... "I cleaned out all of the Win 98se components except the following." I'd be interested in knowing what the list of components were that you deleted, you say in excess of "14 components". It would also be of interest to me (maybe others also) to know what you discovered when you said ... "I also will not attempt to define exactly which one of or combination of them produced the problem." Unless all this is too lengthy to type it all out.

Also, Tripredacus ... I'd be interested in knowing anything about what you did when you said ... "At that time I had actually gone about and debugged Win98 and what determined a clear-cut solution to msgsrv32 errors and problems." ... as you said it was a long time ago but if anything comes back about what you actually did, I'd like to know what triggers this to happen. As I said earlier, at least for me, it doesn't occur very often but when it does, it's a nuisance. ... thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm what duffy98 said (my own and many other people's experience).

I have had this problem "msgsrv32(Not responding)" on and off for years. I can go for weeks and nothing happens then "msgsrv32(Not responding)" shows up for a few times. I've noticed it seems to mostly happen when I'm on the interent or at least I think so.

On a hunch, it happens 90% of all times because of "delayed start" applications like certain browser addons / plugins, firewalls, antivirus programs etc. A longer response time is completely normal for these under true win32 systems (w2k, XP etc.) but w9x Message Server gets crazy on encountering them.

Running Zonealarm and a few Firefox plugins I learned to be patient when w9x boots into GUI, take my time when surfing the net (wait a little after the browser starts) etc.

Proof Other people also found the "be patient" method effective:

http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup+1/05F3B90BE3992523CA256FBA002EBFCC

Edited by Jolaes

With all due respect to everyone :), "proof of a guess":

At a guess I’d say that ...
Of course, there’s always the chance that my guess is wrong, and that something else is causing MSGSRV32 to stall. It also handles other Windows functions, such as reading the Registry, and loading device drivers. Sometimes, if it encounters a redundant entry (a left-over bit of something which is no longer there) it can stall and hang, and perhaps this is what has happened in your case.

I am sure that often this is part of or the whole issue :thumbup , but "proof" has another meaning. :angel

:cheers:

Wonko