Slow network big files

remush

Hi all,

I'm a volunteer IT guy for a community centre with about 30 computers. Most of them used for free computer lessons.

The centre relies on donated computers and networking equipment.

We have an adsl modem that feeds a primary network switch which feeds 2 other network switches, all 3 network switches are 10Mega bit max speed.

I've noticed that copying a 150mb file from the file server to a computer to install avg free, takes a very long time, and if i try to copy it on 5 computers at the same time, it takes for ever. In the past I've tried coping 1GB files from the file server, and staff members complained that they could not check email or browse the web.

If I'm copying a small file which is only 8mb in size to 5 computers, no one complains.

I'm thinking of using a program like 7zip to split the avg free install file into very small chunks, say 1mb in size(total of 150 chunks). And then copy lots of little files across the network to a few computers at a time, unzip the installer and then run it.

What do you guys think of this approach ?

Eh, may help...

Switches work differently than Routers in that they're "sort of" hard-wired to "shift" between pc's, whereas a router has an "embedded DHCP server" and happily parses the work (AFAIK). 10mb is not so hot either - a choker. If you could manage to get hold of a router and use it on the "front-end", it would probably help too.

BTW, the method you propose is how old-skool BBS groups (back when) used to trade files (with MODEMS!). At least the way you're going will give "pauses" between bursts...

Good luck.

Never heard of 10MB switch, it might be hub and then the total bandwidth of the hub is shared between all computer and it could explain the problem.

Yep they are HUBS

heres the details of one of them

SynOptics LattisHub 2803

RHTNHB1

Max speed 10 Mega Bits.

We do not have the funds to purchase computer gear, everything i the centre is donated.

Think my idea is worth trying ?

All hubs... ouch! Collisions and blockages. Only one PC gets to "fully utilize" the network at any given time. Internet Web Pages (usually) and Small Files won't give too much of a problem in that kind of network but large file transfers will (consuming the transit path, for want of a better term). I have an old LinkSys 4-port Workgroup Hub (that I seldom use); works fine until...

I'd say probably your idea is definitely worth pursuing. Try to "stall" each PC between "piece bursts" to allow other traffic to pass through, e.g. "split" file, transfer a BAT file to each PC, go to the PC's and run it; inside the BAT file could maybe be a "timer" between pieces.

A word of warning - if the PC's are "older slower with low amounts of RAM" AVG Free may bite you (PC's will lag). Less than a P-II (100mhz FSB) and 256MB may not be sufficient. Worst case, those that "lag", just uninstall and find an alternative.

FWIW, check "thrift stores" occasionally for Routers (got the one I use for $5US); maybe speak with the Manager about setting one aside if one comes in (Thrift Stores are, after all, donation-based). You could put "regular users" on all ports but one and the last port hook in the remainder via the hubs.

Again, good luck!

You might be able to find 100Mb/s switchs as most of companies aren't using them any more.

Your idea should work but you're going to face another problem : all computers will download from internet the virus definition and most of the time those are about 70MB.

You'll need at least to setup the update at different time on each computer.

Download full file once from here (top/bottom?) and use same method (not really sure how to "install" tho). And "turn off" auto-update, repeat when necessary. I find "auto-update" a real aggravation for anything (including the OS). Test the method on a single computer that can be backed-up/reloaded first (the "install).

edit - apparently there's an "update from directory" option in the "update" area of AVG. (browse the technical faqs section of the website).

edit2 - and if you have 98/98SE/ME systems, you'll need to use version 7.5 524.

Edited by submix8c

I ran a test today,

i've cut up the 150mb avg free installer into 100KB chunks, there are 1500 files :)

takes 3min and 37 secionds to copy the files across network. No complaints from other staff, I will do a new test on monday and copy the files to 5 computers at the same time, while using another 5 computers to browse web pages, check email.

I have a batch file that does;

copys files to c:\avg\archive

runs 7z.exe to extract to c:\avg\setup.exe

runs unattended switches

pause for 10 seconds

deletes the c:\avg folder

I've noticed that avg free 2011 really slows down computers, they are mostly p4 1.8ghz with 512mb ram.

takes 3min and 37 secionds to copy the files across network. No complaints from other staff, I will do a new test on monday and copy the files to 5 computers at the same time, while using another 5 computers to browse web pages, check email.

I've noticed that avg free 2011 really slows down computers

Wise man - Full testing! Glad you got that far...

The PC's (CPU/RAM) should be sufficient. Haven't checked, but is this version of AVG Free including an additional "extra" (like a Toolbar or some such) that "runs" at Startup?Also check for Options (like AutoUpdate) that you might be able to "turn off" or "set to a scheduled download" (as was pointed out earlier). Some"free" packages give you "extra junk" (e.g. fictitious Google QuikSearch) that you really don't want. Check a PC in-question with CTL+ALT+DEL to see "what's running" and report back. Maybe some "extra" is running in background.

Curiosity - what OS is on these? Must be 2K and up, otherwise this version won't run. Maybe the 2011 version is more of a "hog" than the previous? :unsure: I use a different AV (not free), so I can't say...

Worth noting - be prepared to "uninstall" after this test run in case you need to "fix" your install before you proceed with the other 24(?) PC's. Don't want to have to manually "fix" them. ;)

Hi submix8c

All computers running a ms os use xp home or xp pro. I've got the latest version of avg on most of them.

I use msconfig from the run prompt and then look at whats in the startup and services tab, to find any unwanted stuff. I'll have a look and see if there is anything I don't need. Does the avg IE plug in really suck much system resources ???

Sorry, don't remember... I use a "vendor" A-V. AFAICR certain "items" can be disabled. You may want to "disable" (if it has "extras") anything that IE already does (newer than e.g. IE6). I think it "nags" you about it being disabled - not sure if some can be "not installed" via Custom Install (AFAICR, you can).