Setting up Home Network

bookie32

Hi folks :thumbup

OK! I know this isn't a standard windows question...and if there is a better place for it..feel free to move it. :unsure:

I have just installed FOG on a computer that will be included in my home network. This is the layout at the moment: I will be using FOG for taking images of my computers and those that I build for others.....for purely backup purposes...

I have a D-Link DIR-825 which up and till now I have had set up as follows.

Gateway = 192.168.0.1 and I have the DHCP server enabled to automatically give out ip's to my computers. I also have reserved my personal addresses.

The range set has been 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199. I installed FOG on the latest Ubuntu 10.10. No hiccups so far...:)

I checked on my router what address had been allocated to the Fogserver as I have called it and I reserved that one for my server and I manually set the computer for that address as well.

OK! What is my problem you are wondering.....I would like to know how to best set up the network with my FOG server? As it is now it doesn't work so well....

I set up a test computer to take an image using fog, but when I looked at the ip address it was under the start range on my router? this led me to believe that DHCP in FOG has allocated the address?

I couldn't reserve this address on my router without changing the range.

Can someone give me a general set up for a network with a d-link like mine and how I should set up the ip's? I have never been what you can call an expert on network questions and am open to any suggestions....almost any.... :w00t:

My router goes to switches for my system but they are just that switches...

I would appreciate any help I can get on this problem.....sure it is me that is the problem....:)

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

Firstly I have no idea what FOG is so a little more info or a link or something would be useful.

Secondly I would strongly suggest setting a static IP for a server. Generally DHCP is ok for clients/desktops/laptops/etc but many routers only give time limited leases, even if this is not the case (or you disable it) if you don't bind the MAC to the IP (in the DHCP setup) if there is a power outage or the router is reset for any reason you will most likely end with a different address for your server. Easy solution: go static.

Edited by JedMeister

Router explanation -

The Range is what it passes out as a DHCP server.

Here's what's in my router -

LAN MAC Address 11-22-33-44-55-11 (sample)

LAN IP Address 192.168.8.1 <--also used as the Gateway assigned in the "clients"

DHCP Server 192.168.8.17 - 128 <--here's the range

Assign fixed IP1=192.168.8.17 to MAC1=11-22-33-44-55-22 (sample)

Others dynamically assigned 18-128

Usually, the router has a way of assigning a "fixed IP" to a certain MAC (the physical identifier of the NIC). Remember, that a Router is (usually) just a mini-Linux (embedded). All PC's (including the Server) are set to "Automatic", allowing the Router to provide the IP's. For the Web/FTP Server, I set the IP to the "fixed IP" and in the Router provide a "pass-through" for that IP and the associated Port(s). In my router, it's called "Virtual Server".

1 - ISP assigns your WAN IP

2 - Router assigns Internal IP's within Range

3 - Server (or any other PC's) assigned a Fixed IP for given NIC MAC

4 - Pass-Through set for associated Fixed IP

Basic explanation done... works for me!

Edited by submix8c

Thanks for the link bookie32.

FOG looks very interesting and I will definitely have a closer look at that when time allows. But from the brief look I had at it I think I see what the issue is. From what I can gather FOG has DHCP built-in and 2 (or more) DHCP servers on one subnet is bad! They will clash! Because FOG requires DHCP to do its thing over the network (ie give IPs to the PCs booting from the FOG server) for it to function properly you will need to leave that one enabled and disable the one in your router. AND definitely set a static IP for your FOG server.

Hi JedMeister !

YES, I agree and I have made the changes. I have been cataloguing my computers and giving them static addresses just to keep tabs on everything. I have a netgear nasduo and that was a bit of a pain when I disabled the DHCP function. It set itself to standard ip address and I was forced to physically attach it to one of my computers and change the static ip of my computer to one in the subrange set as standard by netgear...then I could set a standard ip for it....:LOL.

Been on the FOG forum at sourceforge and a guy has showed me that I can update my firmware on my D-Link 825 with DD-WRT firmware.

This is getting really interesting...Been a bit put out when I got in contact with D-Link about my router and they didn't have anymore plans for updating firmware to solve problems in Windows 7. There are a lot a bit annoyed about that....!!

Now I have the opportunity to make my router more useful....BUT it requires some reading...LOL

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

bookie32