What Windows Product Key to use ?

leoliver

A few years ago, I made a Nlite slipstream for a Windows repair install. But I sort of forgot some of my settings. I have a Dell Dimension 4550 computer, that Dell sold to me. At that time it had a Win XP Pro SP1 operating system. And I used Nlite to slipstream to a SP3 install disc.

Now my question concerns which Windows Product Key i should use on a new install disc. I have both a Generic Windows Key, with OEM in the number. And a Actual Product Key , which displays no OEM in the numbers. Which of the 2-numbers should I use on my new Nlite build ? And how can I find out what settings I used 2-years ago with my last nlite build? Are the settings displayed some where when I restart Nlite ?

Feedback will be appreciated, because I'm going to have to perform another repair install soon.

If Dell sold you the computer, it probably sold you a reinstall disc with it. I guess you used that disc to make your new disc. If you kept the inattended settings, it will have kept the Dell key that allows (allong with a few "oem" files on the cd and a check with your motherboard's Bios) auto activation of your install. That key can also be found in an andwer file on your original disc (a .sif file?) . There are also numerous programs that allow you to read the install key of a running XP.

Or you could use the key that's on your case but then with a standard XP OEM disc (no automatic activation here).

The presets you used at the time (Last session.ini and last session_u.ini) are either on the root of your CD or in the computer you made it with, in Program Files\nLite\Presets\. They can be loaded with nLite (load presets) at the start of the program.

It is also possible that it shows part of them on the running XP, in the Properties of "My Computer" (if you have a "Support" button).

A few years ago, I made a Nlite slipstream for a Windows repair install. But I sort of forgot some of my settings. I have a Dell Dimension 4550 computer, that Dell sold to me. At that time it had a Win XP Pro SP1 operating system. And I used Nlite to slipstream to a SP3 install disc.

Now my question concerns which Windows Product Key i should use on a new install disc. I have both a Generic Windows Key, with OEM in the number. And a Actual Product Key , which displays no OEM in the numbers. Which of the 2-numbers should I use on my new Nlite build ? And how can I find out what settings I used 2-years ago with my last nlite build? Are the settings displayed some where when I restart Nlite ?

Feedback will be appreciated, because I'm going to have to perform another repair install soon.

Thanks for your reply. I checked the locations you mentioned and I found that 2-years ago I used the Product Key without the letters OEM in the key. My original SP1 install disc, that Dell shipped with my computer, has a OEM folder so that would probably be enough info for automatic activation. I hope anyway.