WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

No, I generally don't read any PC related magazines.

JFX, do you read "c't magazin"? It looks like there are very good articles in the current issue (2014-17) about SSD and Wimboot.

I could send you the PDFs of the article if you like. (Of course, not to "educate" you, just to "inform").

All the info on creating the install.wim is very interesting (at least to me, having never used it, not being able to without the proper hardware), but luckily, for the apply phase we have it much easier with WinSE and WinNTSetup!!

Edited by Atari800XL

JFX, do you read "c't magazin"? It looks like there are very good articles in the current issue (2014-17) about SSD and Wimboot.

I could send you the PDFs of the article if you like. (Of course, not to "educate" you, just to "inform").

All the info on creating the install.wim is very interesting (at least to me, having never used it, not being able to without the proper hardware), but luckily, for the apply phase we have it much easier with WinSE and WinNTSetup!!

Hello 'Atari800XL'

I want to read current issue (2014-17) of  "c't magazin" about SSD and Wimboot.. Can you please send me the PDFs of the article ?

Thanks in Advance

Edited by devdevadev

@jamisir

Either you an aggressive AV software or your windows distribution have missing or corrupted registry hives.

@Atari800XL

Well, don't think there can be much interesting stuff about WimBoot.

But you can send me the PDF in a PM.

@jamisir

Either you an aggressive AV software or your windows distribution have missing or corrupted registry hives.

Thanks for the reply JFX, I found that to be Install.ESD the Tweaks don't work, but worked perfectly in Install.win. 

(Y)

I will add more details to the error message in the next version. So we can figure out why it fails to load the registry.

But for now you should be careful with this install.esd, cause it's most likely corrupted. 

Hi JFX,

Winntsetup doesn't seem to recognise the images install.swm from a sony vaio recovery usb.

Dism reveals the images have no names, but they do have descriptions.

Index : 1
Name : <undefined>
Description : FOUNDATION IMAGE 1
Size : 14,264,405,102 bytes

Index : 2
Name : <undefined>
Description : PUSHBUTTONRESET Image
Size : 32,068,376,490 bytes

Edited by SIW2

Sorry if this is OT, but I need to install Vista x64 with WinNTSetup. and before I use WinNTSetup, I would like to service the install.wim with all of the updates after SP2. I was under the assumption that I could use dism to service the wim. I can do things like dism /Mount-Wim,  /Unmount-Wim,  /get-wiminfo and imagex.exe /export, but when I try /get-packages or /Add-Package, I get the errors below:

C:\>dism /image:r:\Offline /get-packages /format:table /English >R:\$WVista\DrWin\VBSP2_a-r.txtDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 6.1.7601.17514Error: 50The command specified is unknown or not supported when running DISM.exe against a Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 or a Windows Server 2008 target image. For more information, see the Help documentation available in the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows-AIK) or the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK).AlsoC:\>dism /image:r:\Offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:R:\$WVista\DrWin\Repo-Dir\Deployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 6.1.7601.17514Error: 2An error occurred while processing the command.For more information, review the log files.

Is adding patches to a Vista install wim (SP2 RTM 6.0.6002.18005) supported?

I don't know how to get past these errors to use WinNTSetup.

DISM.txt

dism.log.pkgmgr.txt

Edited by click-click

Is adding patches to a Vista install wim (SP2 RTM 6.0.6002.18005) supported?

No, You can not use Dism for a Windows Vista Distribution. You should be careful adding patches this way to newer Windows, too.

Updates in pending state can cause problems with the fast install way.

To add updates to your Vista you have to install it, update it and than generalize it with sysprep again.

Hi 'JFX'....

Suppose I have a 64-bit UEFI firmware/system based PC along with UEFI/GPT 'WINDOWS' drive partition as follows-

IC514408.png

After booting through 'Win8.1U1SE_x64_boot.wim' in 64-bit UEFI firmware/system , I will use 'WinNTSetup v3.61' in order to install 32-bit 'install.wim' into 'WINDOWS Drive'

Will 'WINDOWS Drive' boot in '64-bit UEFI mode' after windows installation ?

Can I use 32-bit 'install.wim' in order to install 'Win 8.1 U1' in 64-bit UEFI firmware/system in place of 64-bit 'install.wim' ?

Is it necessary to use 64-bit 'install.wim' file in order to install in 'WINDOWS Drive' in 64-bit UEFI mode ?

Regards........

Edited by devdevadev

• 2 weeks later...
Small Update to Version 3.6.3

- error code get's logged if offline registry fails

- Description field is used if the WIM index has no name

- Winntsetup_iso.cmd can be moved into Tools folder