WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

JFYI

Just in case some of you are interested on FFU format, I started a thread about this subject on reboot.pro:  http://reboot.pro/topic/22182-capture-and-apply-windows-full-flash-update-ffu-images/

Where you can see more info about the use of this format, and about DismMountService a GUI tool for Dism (from Retokener) capable to capture/apply on FFU format, and recommended version of Dism (10.0.17763.1 on 10 v1809) for this task, since Dism Version 10.0.18362.1 ( on 10 v1903) seems to have some bug related to this feature.

Best Regards

alacran

Edited by alacran
Typo

Hi JFX, just a quick question, if I may...

What would be the best. quickest/ easiest way to get the display settings to (say) 175%? (we're talking about the apply stage, obviously). Can this even be done with simple registry stuff? Thanks...

Hi Atari800XL,

well you can't change the DPI inside a PE after booting. But you can force it before boot inside the registry.

_RegWrite('HKLM\PE_DEF\Control Panel\Desktop', 'Win8DpiScaling', 'REG_DWORD', 1)
_RegWrite('HKLM\PE_DEF\Control Panel\Desktop', 'LogPixels', 'REG_DWORD', 168)
_RegWrite('HKLM\PE_DEF\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics', 'AppliedDPI', 'REG_DWORD', 168)
_RegWrite('HKLM\PE_SOFT\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI', 'LogPixels', 'REG_DWORD', 168)

Edited by JFX

Hey, that was pretty quick :-)

Thanks, I will try it for the PE as well, but my question was more about the best way for the "Main OS" that we apply from PE (using WinNTSetup or other).

So the four settings you mention should be enough. Thanks again, I will try them...

> Maybe for version 5 (in a few years) ...

Maybe a separate option for scaling in version 5 as well :-)

Edited by Atari800XL

Changelog is inside the rar comment:

WinNTSetup 4.0 RC2

- added capture mode NONE
- added apply mode Wimboot:WIMCOPY
- update offreg.dll
- allow creation of expandable VHD with any size
- non fitting expandable VHDs will stop from auto expanding on boot

4 hours ago, JFX said:

Wimboot:WIMCOPY  - copies the wim file into "\System Volume Information" folder of the installation, than apply it in wimboot mode.

Ok, thanks for the Info :)

It is working OK when Applied to real drive, but when Applied to VHD then booting fails with Error 0xC0000225

Edited by wimb

thanks for update. no problems yet using "capture wim" from local installations.
is there a log of the "capture" process ? in case of failures , to know more details (at which file was the error to skip it on next backup) , or in case of sucess to check exclusions.

@Sonic, there is no log. With VSS for local installations there should be no need to exclude trouble some files.

8 hours ago, josywong said:

do i have to copy the wim to "recovery image partition" 1st then apply? so it will create pointer files?

Yes, if you want it on "recovery image partition" than you have to copy it yourself.

@JFX

I need to make a Win7 VHD capable to run from USB on an old PC with only USB 2.0 ports, checking Win7USBBoot.ini it seems to me it is actually oriented for USB 3.x,

I remember there was an older version of this file for USB 2.0 (using Win 7 generic driver), hope you still have it available.

Could you be so kind and give me a link to download it? or just attach it on your post.

In case the old version of Win7USBBoot.ini (for USB 2.0) is not compatible with curret version of WinNTSetup, also an old version on WinNTSetup made before the current version of Win7USBBoot.ini (dated October 5th 2016) will work for my actual needs.

Thanks in advance

alacran

Edited by alacran