WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

I had to reinstall Vista on one of my partitions (Drive0 P0=XP, P1=Vista and Drive1 P0=W7 P1=W81 P2=W10) and I can't get it to boot as the c drive. Even though mount installation drive as C is set, the system drive keeps ending up being assigned to D. Volumes 0-6 are on Disk0 and volumes 7-10 on Disk1. Below is a list of volumes from setupcomplete.cmd. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. i don't have this problem with the other systems because they all boot as C. Is there any way to change the Vista boot drive back to C ?

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6002Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Microsoft Corporation.On computer: 2082-52G  Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  -------  Volume 0     K   WinXP_Pro    NTFS   Partition     20 GB  Healthy  Volume 1     D   Windows Vis  NTFS   Partition     20 GB  Healthy    System  Volume 2     E   SYS_Misc     NTFS   Partition     20 GB  Healthy  Volume 3     F   Temp         NTFS   Partition      8 GB  Healthy  Volume 4     G   Make_PE      NTFS   Partition   4511 MB  Healthy  Volume 5     H   SysInstall   NTFS   Partition     67 GB  Healthy  Volume 6     I   Lenovo       NTFS   Partition     10 GB  Healthy  Volume 7     C   Windows 7    NTFS   Partition     20 GB  Healthy  Volume 8     L   Windows 8.1  NTFS   Partition     20 GB  Healthy  Volume 9     M   Windows 10   NTFS   Partition     20 GB  Healthy  Volume 10    J   SysMaint     NTFS   Partition    215 GB  HealthyLeaving DiskPart...
Edited by click-click

Parameters not working ?

Trying to build an unattended Setup with winntsetup.exe

But still nothing happens when using Parameters, my actual Line looks like this:

WinNTSetup_x64.exe NT6 /source:o:\extern$\install.esd /unattend:c:\osd\unattend.xml /syspart:c: /Sysletter:c: /wimindex:1 /drivers:c:\drivers /RunAfter:c:\osd\SetupFiles\$$\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd /setup

I'm using Version 3.8.1.1

thx for reading

@click-click

Vista doesn't let one change the drive letter in fast install mode.

You will need to make a normal setup, sysprep and capture that one.

This new image will always apply as C:.

@simplex

Seems with last rewrite of commanline parsing, I forgot '/' and it only accept '-' as commandline prefix.

But you should also define the installation drive with -tempdrive:C:

EDIT: fixed command line in Beta4

Edited by JFX

@click-click
Vista doesn't let one change the drive letter in fast install mode.
You will need to make a normal setup, sysprep and capture that one.
This new image will always apply as C:.

Do you mean sysprep/capture the drive from a winntsetup install, or do I have install from the CD?

Everyone here raves about WinNTSetup. But, before I use it I’d like to know what it does internally.

With Microsofts official way, on reading about MS WTG there are 2 ways to create WTG:

1 - Using WTG Creator

2 - The second way specifies a Powershell/ DISM/ BCDBoot way to build this with any custom .wim Windows Image, which is typically how I’ve been creating VHDs.

It also adds another step, that adds policies {SAN} to hide the Host System’s OS & disable WinRE; which are things I don’t care much about. 

Before I use WinNTSetup, I'd like to know, what it does internally - steps?

What does it do differently? as compared to above 2 methods. 

There isn't a real difference in the method in any of these 3.

WinNTSetup ignores the Edition check, means you can apply other images than Enterprise,

but the licensing / activation problems will be yours.

It also skip the setting of sanpolicy and the removal of recovery console.

That can be done by adding the options to your unattend.xml.

For Windows 7 installs it also raises the PollBootPartitionTimeout

Everyone here raves about WinNTSetup. But, before I use it I’d like to know what it does internally.

With Microsofts official way, on reading about MS WTG there are 2 ways to create WTG:
1 - Using WTG Creator
2 - The second way specifies a Powershell/ DISM/ BCDBoot way to build this with any custom .wim Windows Image, which is typically how I’ve been creating VHDs.

It also adds another step, that adds policies {SAN} to hide the Host System’s OS & disable WinRE; which are things I don’t care much about. 

Before I use WinNTSetup, I'd like to know, what it does internally - steps?
What does it do differently? as compared to above 2 methods. 

There isn't a real difference in the method in any of these 3.

WinNTSetup ignores the Edition check, means you can apply other images than Enterprise,

but the licensing / activation problems will be yours.

It also skip the setting of sanpolicy and the removal of recovery console.

That can be done by adding the options to your unattend.xml.

For Windows 7 installs it also raises the PollBootPartitionTimeout

Even with DISM I can & have applied non Enterprise editions.. i.e. Pro to my VHDs. .. with 8.1 Update 1

No worries, I'll take care of the licensing & activation. :)

I dont care much for the SanPolicy and Recovery Console thing as well. 

So, does it do/ add any thing else? Any registry stuff.. apparently WinToUSB maybe does {some threads on their forums}. 

I ask because of this little gem - http://superuser.com/a/919119/183467

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PortableOperatingSystem /t REG_DWORD /d 0

The value PortableOperatingSystem is the flag you want to change. If it is 1, Windows Thinks it is a WindowsToGo.

Is this something that Windows starts thinking automatically? I am curious. 

I dont intend to use an external Flash.. Just internal drives.. but everything contained in VHDs. 

Edited by crashnburn4u

• 2 weeks later...

When building VHD of Win10x64 Pro Compact mode Xpress8K I used the tricks to dissable hibernate and page file, all working fine, but there is another big file called Swap.

Is there a way (register trick) to dissable it's creation?

alacran

EDIT: Excuseme my please, This was during install on HDD not to VHD.

Edited by alacran

$OEM$ folders are supported for all sources.

You can either define it using command line or change the default "\sources\$OEM$" location by clicking on that label.

A separate "SetupComplete feature" doesn't make much sense, just use a $OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd.