WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

I'm using OSFMount for mounting iso's in WinPE (it's based on IMDisk).

It's fully portable, I use it like this in (any) PE:

osfmount.com -a -t file -f y:\portable\q.iso -m q:

This example mounts an iso of portable software to letter Q: in PE.

As I said, the IMDisk developer probably deserves all the credit, but for me OSFmount is just a bit easier because it is completely portable. The only problem I've found so far is it doesn't run in w10-10586x86 PE (it's fine in the x64 version, just not in x86). It looks like 10586 is not very good anyway (there are several problems with it), for now I'm testing build 14295 PE, and here everything seems OK again.

If I only needed to mount iso's for WinNTSetup, I would have used the standard JFX method, but if you need it in PE for other things, OSFMount might be an option. I use it for mounting my Q: drive, but also to mount driver iso's for WinNTSetup. A script determines which hardware I'm on, OSFMount mounts the drivers for that PC (and bitness), then WinNTSetup is started with the "-drivers" command line option, and it integrates them just fine! I like this a lot better than manually inserting the drivers into the wim files (which can lead to all sorts of interesting problems).

• 2 weeks later...

JFX, Thanks for this wonderful tool.

Is there is a checkbox in the GUI for forceunsigned and testsigning ? ( I cant seem to find it ) Or is it only a command line option ?

Any plans of making the code open source and maybe hosting it on github ? I would love to contribute to this project.

Hi agni,

yes, currently unsigned driver can only be used via command line. I'll will add gui option in next beta.

Sorry no plans for making it open source.

I have a question, sorry if it's a lame one: I created a VHD and want to setup Windows 7 on it. I'm not interested in booting from it --just extract the files. WinNTSetup insists that I select a Boot Drive and will not allow to select the VHD as Boot drive. Is there any way to get passed this? All I want is to extract all WIM files to a vhd.

Also, I think I found a bug:

After the creation of VHD through WinNTSetup, and clicking again on the VHD>> menu, it displays: Universal Windows Installer stopped working.

Edited by AlexCeed

Why this tools have dependendes with Dropbox?

jKjjzk2.png

I have another question. Why does the copy procces takes so long? It tooks around 1 or 2 hours while other tools like Nt 6.x only took half an hour...

Thanks

Hi, there is not dropbox dependency, but dropbox inject it's buggy dll's into every Process.
Especially on latest Windows 10 build this causes many problems. 

No idea why it takes so long for you, usually it only take a couple of minutes.
Maybe an antivirus program interference here, or again it's DropBox.

Edited by JFX

• 2 weeks later...

Hi . I'm new here 

I'm using Windows XP , I want to dual-boot with Windows Vista but BOOTMGR PBR is yellow ( Both BOOT PART and MBR are green ) what will happen if I install it? 

Edited by Hamper

Welcome Hamper,

If you install Vista your PBR will be updated to load Vista's BOOTMGR loader.
Also an entry to boot XP will be added to the new boot menu.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried installing W10 to a vhd from an active system and towards the end, I see the following msg:

The update operation may be unreliable since the volume could not be locked. Continue anyway?

If I select yes, I get Write file failed! Access is denied.

I'm not sure if I'm following the correct procedure for installing to a vhd.  I've always used an empty partition up to now. Anyone know why I'm getting an error?

Edited by click-click

This happened using the latest version of WinNTSetup (3.8.6.0). On my W7 (Starter) system, I created a VHD via Disk Management. Initialized  the disk and selected volume type 'New Simple volume'. I then mounted the volume and started WinNTSetup.

Select location of Windows installation files:
R:\Win10_1511_2_English_x86\install.wim
Select location of the Boot drive: c: (Using current boot drive since VHD not allowed)
Select location of the Installation drive: c:\W10_Home.vhd

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Once started, I got the standard message about changing the boot code. I selected BOOTICE in order to later see the boot info. Everything ran to near completion when I got the mentioned errors which most likely came from W7 since you don't use such a dialog .

If I run the same configuration and select  'do not change boot code' I do not get any errors and can install and activate W10. I did notice that even though I selected 'do not change boot code', WinNTSetup shows a msg  '"changing boot code" at the end of the setup stage.

Edited by click-click