WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Not sure if it's a bug or configuration. But "System Reserved (Z:)" drive doesn't disappear when WinNTSetup v423, v424, v425 is closed. Opening and closing WinNTSetup v421 removes "System Reserved (Z:)" from the Explorer.

Edited by pcclp2004

Yes, when v421 exit it did scan for mount points that have no valid target anymore.
But this caused trouble with VMWare mounted drives. I have improved that function,
but it's still disabled by default. You can set it in the ini file:

[Options]
RemoveObsoleteDosDevices=1

On 12/1/2020 at 4:32 PM, JFX said:

Yes, when v421 exit it did scan for mount points that have no valid target anymore.
But this caused trouble with VMWare mounted drives. I have improved that function,
but it's still disabled by default. You can set it in the ini file:

[Options]

I added the option like this

[Options]

# Disables Windows 8+ FastBoot
NoHiberBoot=0

I also tried loading WinNTSetup.ini by using CTRL+L shortcut. Unfortunately Z: disk still doesn't get removed automatically by closing WinNTSetup v425.

11111111.jpg.be860a4a2e20392023fcb7db61f793ad.jpg

Also is there any option to remove these automatically by closing WinNTSetup?

Edited by pcclp2004

RemoveObsoleteDosDevices will not remove existing mounted boot partitions.
It thought for removable USB or VHD disks.

For the mounted ImDisk ISO files, by default they should be removed in v425. (KeepISOAlive=0)
Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

If you do not have imdisk installed try WinNTSetup's system menu --> imdisk and see if you can unmount them there.

Edited by JFX

WinNTSetup 4.5.0 Beta 1

- Dropped 32-Bit version, system requirements are now Windows 7x64 +
- VHD functions no longer uses diskpart.exe
- VHD Attach / Detach supports ISO files
- VHD Creation supports GPT Partitionsttyle
- VHD Install will always create internal boot files depending on partition style
- Fixed open file dialog pattern not working on default WinPE 3.x +
- Fixed wimgapi capture build number on H2 Systems (19041 instead 19042)
- Support multiple "-regtweaks" cmdline switches
- DPI-Awareness for Imdisk
- Darkmode and DPI-Awareness for Bootice
- Workaround Win10 MessageBox Font bug

Download links are shared folder that include older version. If I have some time I'll make an XP special version with delta patch for the lost ADK files.

Edited by JFX

• 4 weeks later...

A rquest to dev of this great Tool WinNtSetup have been using it since a long time . i tried to create Win10 VHD EFI Based to be used via Ventoy boot USB but when i tried to boot it results into error . Please if somebody have any time to test so that dev will look into it & will resolve it asap in next release.

but

if we create win 7 or 10 VHD or VDI via virtualbox then it works flawlessly with Ventoy.

@JFX Thank you for this great tool! I would like to ask a request too if possible: what about to add an extra option to create the default installation's partition layout MBR/UEFI when creating a VHD? With the default partition layout i mean what Windows 10 creates when you install it using the setup:

Example (UEFI):

Partition 1    System (FAT32 - EFI BOOT FILES)                     100 Mb  1024 Kb
  Partizion 2    Reserved (MSR Reserved)                                16 Mb   101 Mb
  Partizion 3    Primary (NTFS - Primary for OS Install)            XX Gb   117 Mb
  Partizion 4    Recovery (NTFS - Recovery)                            509 Mb    XX Gb

Thank you again for the great work!

Edited by graphixillusion

Hidden EFI drive is not automounted anymore in 4.5.0 Beta 1

That means it is not easy to select the Boot Drive for install on GPT partitioned disk.

Previous versions auto give Boot Drive is Z: as the automounted hidden EFI drive.

In Create VHD the Fixed size (recommended) option is not preselected as default option anymore.

Edited by wimb

@graphixillusion I don't think there will be much use of it. If anyone really wants this there is diskpart or bootice.

@wimb Yes, as 4.5 now always creates the VHD internal boot files depending on partition style,
I thought it would not be necessary to give it a drive letter. Do you need one?

30 minutes ago, JFX said:

@wimb Yes, as 4.5 now always creates the VHD internal boot files depending on partition style,
I thought it would not be necessary to give it a drive letter. Do you need one?

That is not the point that my remark was about.

My point is: (probably due to the fact that my normal OS is running in VHD instead of partition)

Just when I start WinNTSetup then the hidden EFI drive of GPT partitioned disk is Not automounted anymore as drive Z:

and the Boot Drive is not autoselected as that drive Z: anymore. This has nothing to do with creating VHD.

In my case I have OS in existing VHD located on GPT SSD with Hidden EFI drive as Boot Drive

WinNTSetup_2021-01-08_112812.jpg.406b551cf094f3c0a2115214c6780746.jpg

Also In Create VHD the Fixed size (recommended) option is not preselected as default option anymore.

WinNTSetup_2021-01-08_113232.jpg.f8699739f14922e52b101ad99e282e3f.jpg

Edited by wimb

Ah, found it. It's about structure alignment for 1 call it needs a 4 byte padding at the end and for the other it don't.:dubbio:

For VHD creation, yes the default type has changed. I'll remove the recommend.

I think Fixed VHD is preferred and should stay as recommended.

- Dynamic VHD will as it grows gradually results in fragmentation of the VHD file itselves which is undesired behaviour.

- Fixed VHD is needed for the very new UEFI booting from RAMDISK using UEFI Grub2 and UEFI Grub4dos

Edited by wimb