WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Yes, the folder you select will be recrusively scanned for *.inf files.
However Dism will create a driver package for every inf file, so don't add too many.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add a reg update that can only be updated with elevated privileges. I was able to update it  running as TrustedInstaller,  but I'm not sure if something less will also work. The key is as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UpdateHandlers\Driver]

"DLL"="-wuuhext.dll"

I'm trying to keep WU for W10 from offering Driver Updates. Is  WinNTSetup able to update these kind of protected keys during setup?

Edited by click-click

I have been using this, it seems to work for preventing driver updates (added to the WinNTSetup tweaks section):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
"SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

Thanks, I tried that, but when I select check for updates, I get about 8-10 driver offers for my Thinkpad. So far, breaking the driver check with -wuuhext.dl is the only thing that worked for me, but I'm not sure what ramifications doing this on my system will have. Setting SearchOrderConfig doesn't seem to be enough.

Edited by click-click

OK, sorry for giving wrong information. On a test laptop, this does seem to prevent a Synaptic driver from getting updated (and borked), but maybe there are other settings that I forgot to mention. Maybe JFX can help out here...

(Maybe it also helps that I use this setting from the earliest stage of setup? Nah, that can't be it).

15 hours ago, click-click said:

Is WinNTSetup able to update these kind of protected keys during setup?

Yes, registry permissions are no problem.

For me the SearchOrderConfig tweak Atari800XL mentioned is enough, but maybe that has changed once again.

Edited by JFX

okay, letting WinNTSetup run the SearchOrderConfig tweak is working now for me too. When applied with WinNTSetup, the tweak tends to influence WU differently than at the point when I applied it. Before, I set  the tweak via a remote registry edit after WinNTSetup had finished installing the image. Seems like either way should have worked. I don't know why my test did not work since I checked the registry after booting to make sure my remote edit was there.

Very interesting... Thanks again for testing. Hope we can find out why your first attempt didn't work (JFX?)

At least your test confirms it can work in WinNTSetup, so I can still suggest this solution to others (forced w10 driver updates are a big problem for some, specially on older hardware).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 6:22 AM, Atari800XL said:

Very interesting... Thanks again for testing. Hope we can find out why your first attempt didn't work (JFX?)

At least your test confirms it can work in WinNTSetup, so I can still suggest this solution to others (forced w10 driver updates are a big problem for some, specially on older hardware).

I'm not sure it confirms anything now. I just did a new clean install as before using the tweak via WinNTSetup and this is what I am seeing below. The only difference I  can make out is that this time I was connnected to the network after the final install reboot. Drivers for my Ethernet  are already included and I happened to be on my docking station which has an Ethernet connection. I checked the registry and it agrees with the tweak.  The interesting thing is that the event viewer shows a lot of warnings: Access to drivers on Windows Update was blocked by policy, but somehow WU ended up offering the drivers anyway.

WU.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is VHDX also supported by WinNTSetup when installing W8.1 and W10 to a vhd and will WinNTSetup create it for me? The reason I ask is that VHDX supports trim and VHD doesn't. Using  a VHDX would allow me to use a USB3 attached SSD for installing W8.1 or W10.

Yes, you can use a VHDX. But I don't know about about trim support.

Microsoft is only talking about the new Hyper-V Generation 2 emulation that supports it.
They did not mentioned native VHD(X) boot.

VHD and VHDX use the same driver and it's the drivers job to tell the OS that VHD(X) is located inside a SSD.
It should than pass through the trim command.

So I would guess both or neither formats support trim.