WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Patient? Well, I don't know, but I would call it grateful.

You found 4 bugs in a couple of days.

That more than most other report in a whole year.

Anyway download problem should be solved.

Was a quite evil bug, that corrupted a value, this time it lead to crash.

Happy it's found and fixed now.

Edited by JFX

:thumbup JFX, it WORKS!!! I'm very very very happy!!! Have a beer on me!!!

Well, you ARE patient, because you always respond to questions, and even though I've told you countless times to "shut me up" if you get bored, you never have. I really appreciate that!

Now I can go back to my preferred method of leaving the original wim files as original as I can (only add NetFX3, remove appx and let update), then in PESE I check which machine I'm on, mount the correct driver iso (if needed), then integrate drivers with WinNTSetup. Very nice and very clean.

I've learned a lot this week about DISM, so that's an added bonus.

Just wondering about one thing: why did the download fail? (See, I'm never satisfied...)

No kidding, you have my deepest respect, sir, and I wish I could buy you your preferred beverage right now. Cheers!!!

You found 4 bugs in a couple of days.

JFX, something's "up" with the latest beta. XP apply doesn't seem to work anymore. No error messages, but it looks like it's only creating the empty folders.

I've gone back to beta1, everything's fine there.

My commandline for drivers also doesn't work anymore:

-drivers:L:

(is this the old semi colon issue? Must have something to do with the 8.1 DISM changes maybe?)

Please note: once I click the drivers button, adding the letter works just fine, I think it's the commandline option only.

I've removed the rest of this message, I don't want to bother you too much (again).

I hope you can fix it. I have to add that I use WinNTSetup a lot, these little issues in beta versions don't bother me at all, I'm just very happy with this great tools, it's fantastic you still support all its uses, really appreciated!!!!

Edited by Atari800XL

Oh, yeah, there was something.

I had that good idea to separate my FileExists() function into 3 more, like DirExist(), DeviceExists() and a universal PathExists().

But that also meant, to go through 31.597 lines of code and rethink all occurrence again ...  :whistle:

Well at least I call it Beta  :angel

Well at least I call it Beta  :angel

Why not share the source code with me immediately B)

So beta4 has the fix?

[OK, firing up old laptop, booting with Gena* this time (!!?) - You fixed it again!!!]

* Tried Gena again after more than a year. So my testing tools now include Gena [peXP], Win7PESE, Win8PESE, W8.1SE for booting, xp/w7/w8.1/w10 for setup. Who said "overkill"?

Edited by Atari800XL

Who said "overkill"?

It's just like it happens everyday with DVD's or cable/movie on demand (and happened everyday yesterday with VHS's), you spend more time deciding what you are going to watch than what it takes to actually watch it.

jaclaz

Very nice installer.

Did a search of this topic for "Windows to Go" in quotes, but only got the top post, where it says "Support "Windows to Go" for Windows 7 and later installs".

Don't see any options for creating a Windows to Go install.

How does WinNTSetup do this?

Will WinNTSetup create a Windows to Go install on a 'removable' stick drive?

The "Windows to Go" creator -- via Win8.1's Control Panel -- will not do this on 'removable' stick drives.

Thanks

Windows 8.1 will not boot from a Removable USB drive - you just get spinning circle of dots.

Windows 8 will boot OK.

I installed Win8.1 To Go onto a Lexar Jumpdrive USB drive set as Removable and it would not boot.

Then I flipped the RMB bit so the drive became a Fixed Disk type and it booted fine.

Then I flipped the bit again to Removable and it would not boot again.

I'm stuck with Removable since no firmware available for my SanDisk Extreme for flipping that RMB bit.

Also, there is supposed to be a way to do this, from what I understand so far, via an image of 8.1 WTG.

Here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/19868-ultimate-super-smart-secret-removable-usb-drive-with-mega-booting/#entry186023

Edited by RUSerious

Hi RUSerious,

there no extra option for Windows to go, just install it on a USB device.

Can't say much about removable drives, never tried that.

'm stuck with Removable since no firmware available for my SanDisk Extreme for flipping that RMB bit.

Also, there is supposed to be a way to do this, from what I understand so far, via an image of 8.1 WTG

May be the VHD method will work for you. I never personally tested it .

http://agnipulse.com/2012/11/windows-to-go-all-versions-windows-7-8/

Edited by Agent47

Hi..

I had successfully tested both 'WTG + VHDX' and 'WTG + WIMBoot + VHDX' configuration of 'Win 8.1 U1' by using 'WinNTSetup'. It works perfectly. But I could not test it for 'Win 8.1 U3' till now.

Can anybody plz also confirm both 'WTG + VHDX' and 'WTG + WIMBoot + VHDX' configuration for 'Win 8.1 U3' ?

But It's looking that either of the above configuration is not working for 'Windows 10' till now........? 

Regards....

Edited by devdevadev

Thanks to work of devdevadev, I've used WinNTSetup in the making of a bootable Win8.1u3 To Go on a removable USB flash drive – only took like 10 tries ! ! !

In WinNTSetup, I used “Mount Installation drive as” set to ‘W’ so to not have it push its way in as ‘C’, and thus not rearrange all my other letters and screw up all my shortcuts / cross references.  I did NOT use / check the preassignment option since could not get a good idea from this thread of what that actually does.

Result is a drive that does boot as ‘W’, but the rest of the drive letters, for the system I’m plugged into, are all jumbled.
Any way to boot to this USB WTG OS, and not end up with a drive letter assignment mess?

Thanks for the great app.