WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

On 9/11/2021 at 8:01 AM, wimb said:

Windows 11x64 Compact LZX in VHD  UsedSize = 5.7 GB   -   Mini-11x64 Compact LZX in VHD as RAMDISK UsedSize = 2.1 GB

Very good work on trimming down Windows. If you only use this VHD for RAM booting, you could save roughly 80 MB of NTFS logging.

format /FS:NTFS /v:RAMDISK /Q /s:disable /TXF:disable /LogSize:1024 /NoRepairLogs X:

format.png

Edited by JFX

15 hours ago, JFX said:

Very good work on trimming down Windows. If you only use this VHD for RAM booting, you could save roughly 80 MB of NTFS logging.

format /FS:NTFS /v:RAMDISK /Q /s:disable /TXF:disable /LogSize:1024 /NoRepairLogs X:

Thanks for info on NTFS logging. I will try this option to save space.

I have made Win_Reduce_Trusted-43 and used wimlib Capture and Apply in Compact LZX mode for trimming down Windows in a few minutes.

In case of Windows 11 at first I got boot problems that were solved by WOF UnCompress of the entire DriverStore folder.

The nice thing of WinNTSetup is that it knows what driver folders of the DriverStore must be UnCompressed and that helps a lot in space saving.

In my case for booting Windows 11 it is needed to UnCompress only 14 driver folders of the DriverStore as shown in the figure.

Can you give information on how to decide from registry what driver folders of the DriverStore need to be UnCompressed ?

Win_Reduce_2021-09-13_080520.jpg.595a8431a5e32baf78f093a650877fac.jpg

Edited by wimb

Load offline registry and enumerate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\sys\ControlSet001\Services.

Check if ImagePath starts with \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\ or System32\DriverStore\.

6 hours ago, JFX said:

Load offline registry and enumerate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\sys\ControlSet001\Services.

Check if ImagePath starts with \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\ or System32\DriverStore\.

Thank you, I see now how to make the list of DriverStore drivers that need to be UnCompressed :thumbup

• JFX changed the title to WinNTSetup v4.6.5 / v5.0 Beta 3

1) v5 Tweaks disable Windows Defender by default ?!
it ignore the .ini section [WinNT6\TWEAKS] NoDefender=0
missing something ?

2) Nice v5 dropdown destination selector, but keeping keyboard input would be perfect :-)

3) Sometimes the progress bar is yellow instead green, why ?

4) Sometimes v4 & v5 slow to start then I check taskmgr and previous winntsetup.exe process was not closed fully, .exe run but no more gui.
it seems to hang on efi parts but unsure, no occurs in winpe perhaps because only started 2 or 3 times,
but in my main live system where I apply multiple times it occurs , not always ( i have 4 internals disks (2 with efi boot part) + 4 externals  )

Edited by Sonic

1 - will be fixed
2 - you can use UP DOWN to select an entry in the list or press A - Z to select a drive letter directly
3 - progressbar should only be yellow while canceling a progress with the cancel button.
     Maybe it does not get reset sometimes.

4 - Hmm, have not seen that, but I have an idea ...

• JFX changed the title to WinNTSetup v4.6.5 / v5.0 Beta 4

WinNTSetup 5.0 Beta 4

- fixed various bug on Windows 7 Host
- fixed WinRE could not display PNG compressed icons
- fixed MessageBox font on Windows 11
- fixed tweaks incorrectly loaded from ini
- lighter disk access during disk scanning

Thanks, @JFX! The problem is solved!

Minor problem - on tweaking windows down right mistyped "Disable Windows Serach Service"
One more thing - would you add to Tweaks screen Classic context menu for Windows 11?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32]
@=""

Of course I can ad this registry via RegTweaks...

Edited by belivakov

Don't know about add any more tweaks. The development of Windows requires more and more tweaks to get it usable.
So I tend to always collect tweaks in folder and select it in regtweaks combo box.

Than we have the problem of the name, I mean 3 years ago I wrote a shell extension called ClassicContextMenus,
to fixed the blurry menus in Windows Explorer.