WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_7/A_8951-Boot-from-VHD.html

Following Point is described in above Site under Tips, Gotchas, and FYIs-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In case of VHD booting Hibernation is disabled, so you cannot hibernate your laptop.  However, if you expect to be in one given install regularly, you may be able to hibernate by placing that installation directly on the hard drive and putting subsequent alternate installations in VHDs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could not properly understand exact meaning of above para. Can you please explain above para in more simple way....

Could above point may be useful in my case ?

Regards..

Edited by devdevadev

@Atari800XL

Would you mind sharing from where i can download the unofficial SP4 and how to integrate it to XP SP3 MSDN edition ?.

I think this is a better link, here you can read all about SP4, it also has the official download link. Please, never trust any other link!

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10321&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

In that forum, you can also ask about integration. If you're stuck, just ask!

Here's a quick howto:

(1) extract your XPSP3 to a folder, eg. d:\xpsp3

(2) Download sp4 (eg. to d:\WindowsXP-USP4-NOPOS-x86-ENU.exe)

(3) Execute this from command prompt:

WindowsXP-USP4-NOPOS-x86-ENU.exe /integrate:d:\xpsp3

(4) Rename d:\xpsp3 to xpsp4

(5) Rebuild the iso

Please note: I still like the OnePiece solutions better!! (For one thing, those are available in more languages), but still the Harkaz SP4 is an amazing piece of work!!

Edited by Atari800XL

OK...'JFX'

Sorry for disturbing you too much..........

post-65263-0-56456900-1408876221.png

As you said earlier that 'Hibernate' does not work if booting from 'Microsoft Native VHD'. But what if we boot Windows within from 'Raw Hard Disk Image' or 'Raw Partition Image' either via 'EasyBCD NeoSmart Bootloader' or 'Grub4dos' ?

Can you please tell me how to create 'Raw Hard Disk Image' and 'Raw Partition Image'. I don't know about how to create these Raw Images. Actually till now I was using either your 'WinNTSetup v3.7' or 'Bootice v1.33' in order to create VHD Images but none of them allow to create Raw Images........

So please suggest me a good tool/method in order to create 'Raw Hard Disk Image' and 'Raw Partition Image'.

Sorry once again for my stupid questions......

Thanks in Advance....

Edited by devdevadev

OK...'JFX'

Sorry for disturbing you too much..........

As you said earlier that 'Hibernate' does not work if booting from 'Microsoft Native VHD'. But what if we boot Windows within; from 'Raw Hard Disk Image' or 'Raw Partition Image' either via 'EasyBCD NeoSmart Bootloader' or 'Grub4dos' ?

Can you please tell me how to create 'Raw Hard Disk Image' and 'Raw Partition Image'. I don't know about how to create these Raw Images. Actually till now I was using either your 'WinNTSetup v3.7' or 'Bootice v1.33' in order to create VHD Images but none of them allow to create Raw Images........

So please suggest me a good tool/method in order to create 'Raw Hard Disk Image' and 'Raw Partition Image'.

Sorry once again for my stupid questions......

Thanks in Advance....

Maybe I can help you out.

Hibernating from anything except the physical hard drive isn't exactly impossible, however with Windows there is no way for to happen. This is due to how hibernating and Windows works.

Hiberating a computer is the equivalent of taking everything on the system's RAM and saving it to a file on the hard drive. When you resume from hibernate, this file must be completely loaded into RAM at a very early stage in the boot process.

So early in fact, that the computer doesn't have any understanding of VHD files or how to access them. It can only read a whole file from disk into memory. (it reams the hibernate file). It isn't possible with raw disk images either becuase Windows has no way of knowing where the hibernate file resides when you boot from what is initially the same general concept as VHD boot.

Normal sleep, or Suspend-to-RAM should work just fine on any kind of boot however.

As for creating a raw disk image, a VHD (not sure about VHDX) can be stripped of its VHD header and become a raw disk image. Though it will probably not boot, if you set up Windows to VHD boot on the OS from within the image, and then tried to boot it as a raw disk image after stripping the header.

The other way to create a raw disk image is to create a byte-for-byte image of a hard disk, by directly reading the partition to a file. This can be easily accomplished from OS X by using the 'dd' command as the root user, and copying the partition you want to make into a raw image to a file residing on a partition which grub4dos can access (not HFS+)

For your needs, coupled with your level of technical expertise, I'd say you'd want to stay away from raw disk images. Try perhaps, a virtual machine. If you must boot natively, then I'd stick with the current VHD boot situation you've set up.

Hiberating a computer is the equivalent of taking everything on the system's RAM and saving it to a file on the hard drive. When you resume from hibernate, this file must be completely loaded into RAM at a very early stage in the boot process.

So early in fact, that the computer doesn't have any understanding of VHD files or how to access them. It can only read a whole file from disk into memory. (it reams the hibernate file). It isn't possible with raw disk images either becuase Windows has no way of knowing where the hibernate file resides when you boot from what is initially the same general concept as VHD boot.

Not really-really, a RAW (or non-native VHD) booting actually has the disk drive image mapped BEFORE the bootloader gets control and is "hooked" by the suitable driver (say Firadisk or WinVblock) just like a "real" hard disk is "hooked" by the controller driver.

As a matter of fact a "fixed" VHD is ALREADY a RAW image (with a sector appended to it).

Which BTW does not mean that hibernate work (or does not work) with RAW image booting.

As for creating a raw disk image, a VHD (not sure about VHDX) can be stripped of its VHD header and become a raw disk image.

Which actually (the header for monolithic, fixed, non-sparse, non-growing non-differential VHD's) is NOT a header but rather a footer, i.e. a single sector "appended" to the RAW image, JFYI:

http://reboot.pro/topic/9715-firadisk-and-vhd-img-images/?p=83781

http://reboot.pro/topic/8480-clonedisk/

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the new Windows 10 build 9860 (released yesterday). It's only available as .esd (for now), so I used Qad's ESD Decrypter (MDL) to convert it from esd to install.wim (and also added NetFX3, using the previous TP iso as source).

The decrypter worked very nicely, so I was wondering if it could ever be possible to decrypt a similar esd "on the fly" with WinNTSetup? I guess probably not, but I would still like to hear JFX' take on this...

For me, this is the first time I "had" to use esd, no real alternative this time. Still, very nice to see I can still use WinNTSetup for the latest build, this makes a new install so easy (still fully unattended, with tweaks etc).

Thanks!

Hmm, I don't really think decrypting on the fly would make much sense.

Making changes to the source isn't something I like.

However, you can ask synchronicity, what he thinks about adding that decrypting code to wimlib.

Hmm, I don't really think decrypting on the fly would make much sense.

As this new Windows 10 build is only available as esd, the easiest solution would be using an unmodified file. At first I guessed true "on the fly" decrypting might not even be possible, but this is how the standard Windows setup works as well, so it has to be possible, right? Let's just hope not all new releases will be esd-only.

Thanks for the wimlib tip, maybe we should ask him about the decryption.

There was some debate about this on MDL as well, but the esd for build9860 (downloaded from original Microsoft server) can be decrypted and converted to wim, this results in a complete wim.

Again, I tested with this esd:

9860.0.141008-2044.fbl_release_clientpro_ret_x86fre_en-us_4268ed97873110ab801beb19b3f5016090623c7c.esd

Decrypted with esd-decrypter-v4c

Exported to wim.

Result is a complete 2,5gb .wim file.

I don't like to use strange update images anyway, never used those, only clean installs (using WinNTSetup, of course).

EDIT: Hope this link still works:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/57024-DISCUSSION-Windows-10-Technical-Preview?p=964130&viewfull=1#post964130

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/57024-DISCUSSION-Windows-10-Technical-Preview?p=964130&viewfull=1#post964130

Edited by Atari800XL

Hello My Friend JFX.

its been a while since we shared information. i still miss those days. When i was around more and more and bug you, wimb. Shao. Jaclaz etc regarding different stuff.

I just stop here to congratulate you on your never ending work and continue supporting this very valuable tool.

I am away from the scene since 3/4 years due to my 2 jobs hence lack of time, and recently i got married as well.

Anyhow few days ago a friend asked for my help / regarding his new hp laptop having win8.1 . Windows startup had issues / and as expected he had all the data on single partition along with windows. So he requested to please rescue data and install windows 8.1.

I knew about uefi very less. So i had no idea that it does not like NTFS at all.

I had 32 gb flash drive in NTFS formatted with rmprepusb and using easy2boot files from same developer for installing win7 and 8.

Anyhow i thought that first i ll boot into my custom win7 pe. Copy data to my 1 tb usb drive and will install win8 natively from usb.

I went into bios settings and disabled secure boot / but when i try to boot from usb / it went straight to grub4dos command line. So i thought i ll fire up winpe from command line. This time it gave me " disk read error "

It was beyond my understanding that why the fuck would it do that even though secure boot was disabled.

Anyways when i re-format my usb as fat32 / this time it recognised grub4dos menu successfully ( still booted as legacy).

anyways long story short i was able to salvage data and install windows 8 from this tool.

Problem was only with EFI boot flag ( it was shown red by Winntsetup.) remaining 2 were shown as green.

So my question is / is that possible for you to add this efi/bcdboot repair option in your tool. which your tool only does when we select install.esd file.?

you use bootsect.exe for this purpose i guess.

All we need is one efi partition of 100 mb formatted as fat32 , select it as BOOT device from your tool / and select C:/windows from your tool as INSTALL device.

This way your tool will only check and repair/copy files required in Efi partition /mark it as Active.

Thank you once again for this awesome tool.

Kind Regards

Maanu from Pakistan