WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Yes, this could happen with 3.8 version, i changed folder deletion to SHFileOperation, but I did not read the remarks posted there.

Will be fix in Final version.

BTW: there will be a "-nosearch" switch, too.

Is there anything else that uses much CPU and slowdown a postinstall phase?

With "-nosearch", do you mean the Windows 10 "Search" service, which I mentioned briefly in my last message (but later removed)?

That would be another great addition, because it's completely useless to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm working with a lot of files every day (office-like use), but these files are stored according to very clear rules, so I know where to look for them :-)

Other search-related stuff is done with nirsoft's SearchMyFiles (to find files created in the last x days, etc., great for backups etc.)

The Windows "Search" service indeed takes a bit of cpu and memory, but it looked like it settled down a bit later, so I didn't want to bother you anymore. But removing it would be very welcome!

Of course, maybe you weren't talking about this at all....

I will do some more tests to see what else is eating cpu/memory at (Windows 10-) postinstall, but the last test with 3.8RC2 was already very fast, that was a nice surprise!

Edited by Atari800XL

Here new problem. Not big issue, but all the version has the problem. 

The auto reboot function.

In win8 based pe system. Reboot wont work.

It will count 30 sec and do nothing. 

Is there any other reboot method can be used to force reboot? Thank you.

There would be some ways to force a winpe to reboot, but I would not like to integrate these.

For example killing some of the critical processes, starting by your defined CmdLine in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

Better to find out why 'wpeutil reboot' don't work.

There would be some ways to force a winpe to reboot, but I would not like to integrate these.

For example killing some of the critical processes, starting by your defined CmdLine in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

Better to find out why 'wpeutil reboot' don't work.

Sure. But will you able to let the software close if reboot not successful. I can use  some cmd make pe force reboot. But I called your program from a cmd. After that if the process is not finish. Cmd will not keep going. Thank you.

Have you tested the -nosearch yet? That would be nice to test...

Looks like we'll have yet another new preview soon (maybe in a few days, 10036 or 38 or something?), after that I guess there will not be any major changes, as the release date of 29 July is not that far off. I must admit I thought Windows 10 would have a lot of other new (unwanted) stuff, but from the looks of the previews, it's not really that bad (also: not that necessary, but that's another story).

Most of the unwanted stuff can be turned off, and combined with the nice WinNTSetup tweaks, the resulting system can be nice and fast, compact, and "non-obtrusive" (=not as "Metro-in-your-face" as the first Windows 8 release was).

Of course, giving up things like the original control panel is not all that great, but the feeling I get from all this is "It could be a lot worse". Maybe they can use that as a slogan for Windows 10 :-)

• 2 weeks later...

@JFX about v3.80RC3

1.-  Tried to install a Win10 Insider preview last update from a Win7x64 to a VHD (located in internal HDD) compact mode from install.wim in HDD and it didn't work.

2.- Tried to install a Win10 Insider preview last update from a Win7x64 to a VHD (in USB HDD) compact mode from install.wim in USB HDD and it didn't work.

3.- Then I made a full install to VHD (located in internal HDD)  from a Win7x64 install.wim in HDD and everything was OK.

4.- Latter booting from the Win10 IP x64 VHD (located in internal HDD) made a new VHD (in HDD) compact mode from install.wim in internal HDD and it worked flawlessly.

5.- Booting from Win10 IP x64 VHD (located in internal HDD) made a new VHD (in USB HDD) compact mode from install.wim in internal HDD and didn't work.

6.- Then booting from Win10 IP x64 VHD (located in internal HDD) made a new VHD (in USB HDD) compact mode from install.wim in USB HDD and it worked flawlessly.

7.- Latter I deleted install.wim (in USB & internal HDD's) and 4 & 6 booted just fine, so it is my guess the compact mode do not require an install.wim as it is a full install just compresed, so no pointer files to the .wim

Acording to these it seams to me you can remove the requirement of install.wim in same HDD when compact mode installs, this can help to install in compact mode to USB 3.0 sticks in better time and less space required (as no need of install.wim in it). MY MISTAKE, I was doing it wrong way see post #1232

Also compact install do not work when you make an install from from Win7.

Best Regards

Note: I didn't put any links to external pages, they were created when I saved the post.

I opened the compact install in VHD using 7Zip v9.38Beta, it is a full install but all files and folders are compressed as you can see in the attachment, (NTFS is not compressed just files and folders in it).

Compact install in VHD is 5.70 GB (31.32% smaller) and standard install in VHD is 8.3 GB, (both not containing page file and hiberfile).

post-131319-0-15553300-1435035047_thumb.

Edited by alacran

Hi alacran, to install compact mode from Windows 7 you need the WofADK driver from latest ADK to be installed.

Not sure what you mean with requirements, there aren't any set for compact mode.

Edited by JFX