WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Yes compact mode is the next "version" of wimboot.

But WIMGAPI does not allow to set the compression option, it seems to always use Xpress4K.

Don't know if it makes sense to add such an option,

or would it not be better to use compact.exe later?

Ok, new almost stable version ready.

You can now apply in compact mode, if you start like this: "WinNTSetup_x64.exe NT6 -compact"

This version now depends on latest wimgapi.dll, and automatically downloads it.

So do not just replace the exe files, let it download the files once. 

Version 3.8.0 RC1 http://1drv.ms/1HbUDQM

- fix VHD checks for windows 8 Core edition
- fix dpi issues
- fix reg import of empty values
- fix win 10 bcd error
- fix VHD GUI
- fix user creation
- fix gui issues
- fix vhd creation may trigger format dialog
- XP/Vista will try to load Tools\x??\wingapi.old if exists
- added support for new WofADK driver
- post processing PrepopulateList
- support for METADATA_ONLY Wimfiles
- downloads ADK 10 RC wimgapi.dll
- support for custom.wim wimboot images
- new command line option -ref:{reference.wim}
- new command line option -wbc:{custom_wimbootcompressed.ini}
- new command line option -compact
- reattach Wof(ADK) after bootsect volume dismount
Edited by JFX

JFX, today I tested Windows 10 build 10122.

I always use WinNTSetup (of course), using this as one of the command line options:

"-DisableUAC"

This sets this setting in the "Tweaks" window: "Disable UAC and Defender".

Until this new build, when setup had finished, both UAC and Defender were off, so my Postinstall would run with full speed.

Now with build 10122, I believe something has changed. Maybe "Defender" has a new place in the registry? Because even with "-DisableUAC", I thin Defender is still on (and PostInstall runs slower). Please note I don't have network on at that point, so it's not cheking anything online, just offline Defender.

When I press Alt-I to bring up the (ugly and cumbersome) new "immersive" settings screen, I can choose "Security", then turn off Defender manually, but of course I would like to do this by script (or even better, using WinNTSetup as I have done for years now).

I did a quick check with Regshot, and it looks like the new setting is somewhere in HKCU\S\M\W\Curr\Security and Maintenance\Checks\{E8...  but I'm not sure where it is exactly...

I would be interested to hear what you think about this.

Edited by Atari800XL

I guess the problem is what they wrote on defender settings GUI:

"You can turn this off temporarily, but If it's off for a while we'll turn it back on automatically"

It seems with every Windows start defender is enabled again. 

I guess the problem is what they wrote on defender settings GUI:

"You can turn this off temporarily, but If it's off for a while we'll turn it back on automatically"

It seems with every Windows start defender is enabled again.

Well, I guess that in due time someone will find which setting/service/Registry entry does that and a way to disable it will be found.

If we set apart the sheer fun of it (which is always a good thing BTW) it is IMHO largely wasted time to "fine tune" any program for each new beta build of Windows 10, since the good MS guys continuously change things underneath at each build, while it is nice that Winntsetup is compatible to make installs of the betas more convenient, minor glitches like this one seem not like a priority.

jaclaz

I only mentioned it as a "heads up" for things to come (maybe).

To me, Windows 10 looks far from finished (I don't even understand the whole point of it, only if it was named 8.11, or maybe 8.2), but there's talk of a summer release, so I'm sure this Defender stuff will not change a lot until then.

So I just mentioned it to let JFX know there might be a new setting, nothing more, nothing less.

And of course, I always "promote" WinNTSetup on other boards, and like you said, it's a bonus that it supports the latest preview versions.

The whole point of testing these previews to me is testing/ adapting my PostInstall as quickly as I can, to remove all the Metro and other crap and make it work like I want to (which is 99% business oriented). If it wasn't for WinNTSetup, this would be a horrible job to do.

I only mentioned it as a "heads up" for things to come (maybe).

To me, Windows 10 looks far from finished (I don't even understand the whole point of it, only if it was named 8.11, or maybe 8.2),  ...

Yep :), we are now at 8.11111111111111 if I am not mistaken ;).

jaclaz

Good question how to disable it on the fly, but next version will fix this anyway.

But what bothers me is, that the disableuac tweak cause a reboot loop right before user creation  :thumbdown

Thanks JFX!

I had no problems with a reboot loop, but I guess we used different settings?

All previews installed fine with WinNTSetup, all fully silent, no animations, etc. (I -LOVE- WinNTSetup!)

I used wim files which were converted from esd (in some cases), NetFX3 added with DISM.

-edit- Oh wait, maybe you were talking about a *new* disableuac tweak in the upcoming version?

Edited by Atari800XL

It's Indeed the disableUAC tweak that cause the reboot problem.

Never noticed this, cause it does not happens with fully unattended setups.