WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing product, thank you. 

One quick question, I don't think it was answered here, but is there a way VIA command line to change the amount of time on the timer before the restart? Not a huge issue, but 30 seconds seems like a long time. 

Thanks again!

Yeah, 30 seconds is the quite long default timeout that MS choosed.

Next version will add an option for that.

is it possible to kill itself after execute reboot? my nas will leave the ghost process running behind, prevent me to startup winntsetup on next reboot

is it possible to kill itself after execute reboot? my nas will leave the ghost process running behind, prevent me to startup winntsetup on next reboot

In this case it should be better you launch it with a cmd file.

WinNTSetup_x64.exe NT6 -silentshutdown -r -t 0rem wpeutil reboot

• 2 weeks later...

JFX, it's pretty quiet here (because WinNTSetup is now perfect, I guess <g>).

I know you're a big Windows 7 fan, so I always wanted to ask you about something. This is driving me completely nuts, so I would really like to hear your opinion about this. It might be a bit off topic, but it's 100% W7 install/setup related, to WinNTSetup related as well.

Before (approx.) July of this year, I always made a new Windows 7 updated install.wim (almost) every month, with all updates. I created this on (of course) an old test laptop: [WinNT]-setup clean w7sp1, let update (normal Windows update service), audit mode, sysprep, capture. This always worked fine, as long as I made sure the wim wasn't sysprepped more than three times.

For a few months now, there have been some weird lags and "freezes" with "online" updating (specially, but not exclusively, with clean installs), I'm sure you've heard about this (plenty of topics on this). Now, the strange/ stupid thing is: every time I think I found a solution, this so-called "solution" turns out to be worth nothing. I tried kb3102810 first (this is supposed to fix the lags), then ie11, then the rest of the 150+ updates. This actually worked for a while (few weeks ago), but the captured .wim from that, is very slow with searching again now (slow= freeze). Others report similar problems. Looks almost like MS killing W7 updating...

I'm trying a lot of other options as well now, like Simplix updatepack (working fine, but again: search is freezing), WHDownloader with Abbodi install scripts (this is working perfectly, but this solution is completely bypassing Windows Update service, it's a "manual" updating procedure, which is perfect for my own use, but what if I install it on someone's PC, they could never use Windows Update (different updates/ hotfixes, etc., if you don't know about this solution, I could explain more later).

All this is just to ask you: I know you're a brilliant PC Expert (proven with WinNTSetup, PESE, etc. etc.), so I would be very interested in any insights you might have! Anything left for me to test/ change/ read/ research? That's all I can ask from you, like I said, I've been meaning to ask you this for some time, but never had the feeling I did enough to test and try by myself, but now I'm out of options :-)

If not, no problem, at least I tried!!! THANKS!

I tried using this in Hiren's BCD and got an error msgbox with "26" in it.

What does that mean? is it an Error code?

I use a Windows XP CD, more specificly an MSI Recovery DVD with XP Home SP3, but for some reason WinNT detects it as XP Professional SP3...

Is my CD incompatible with WinNTSetup?

Edited by Affiliate60

@Atari800XL

Yeah, you not alone with this problem.

The Windows Update Service is besides Windows Installer, WMI, .Net Framework, Component System and Driver Store,

one of the most pathetic implementations in Windows, one I can think of.

However after installing KB3083710 and KB3102810 the initial search takes less than an 30 minutes here,

what's okay for me, creating new sysprep images every couple of month.

@Affiliate60

First, don't don't use Hirens BCD!

Second, msgbox with "26", it to vague

For your recovery DVD: if it detects the edition wrong it's certainly not good sign.

However after installing KB3083710 and KB3102810 the initial search takes less than an 30 minutes here,

Thanks for replying. I really wanted to hear your opinion/ findings on this.

Things are getting really weird now, on some days it's not working at all (last week), in those cases it sometimes doesn't work all day, then yesterday all of a sudden it started working again!!!!??? I'm doing these tests on 3 different laptops at the same time now, so there's no coincidences.

Yesterday, after 5PM, WU search started working on all systems again, very strange and totally undependable.

If you ever find out more on this issue, please share with us (I will do too). THANkS!

@Atari800XL

Yeah, you not alone with this problem.
The Windows Update Service is besides Windows Installer, WMI, .Net Framework, Component System and Driver Store,
one of the most pathetic implementations in Windows, one I can think of.

@Affiliate60

First, don't don't use Hirens BCD!
Second, msgbox with "26", it to vague

For your recovery DVD: if it detects the edition wrong it's certainly not good sign.

Why not use hirens?

And the msgbox with 26 means vague?? (Sorry if I didn't understand right, I'm dumb)

Hmm, nothing wrong with the CD itself, as it works for virtualbox when installing directly from it....

Hirens BCD is Warez and we don't discuss nor support this here.

With vague, I mean what the exact error text that shown?

Direct install from CD is very different from the setup WinNTSetup does.

Hirens BCD is Warez and we don't discuss nor support this here.

With vague, I mean what the exact error text that shown?

Direct install from CD is very different from the setup WinNTSetup does.

Oh, thats why...

Well it literally said "26" (???) which is weird. any clue why is says that?

EDIT: After minutes of Experiencing, I found a FIX! The CD I use is Multi language, and had different install folders with language names in them(Ex. ENU(English US)). So I had to link WinNTSetup to them, and it found the right XP edition! So now I have no errors...

Edited by Affiliate60

@Atari800XL

You need to filter some of the useless updates that slowing down windows. You cannot do this on your own, you need either a script or tool.

The best sollution that I can give you is to stop using windows updates, disable them in your unattend.xml and use a 3rd party tool like http://download.wsusoffline.net/. Within it you have the possibility of filtering your updates as to exclude the ones you do not want. By default it already excludes quite a bit of useless updates and it works better than windows updates, and faster too.