WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Most excellent to see all you veterans here again lately!

Yes, I agree using wimgapi for apply and wimlib for capture.

I often use UUP direct apply (for insider previews), for this I use (from the PE command line) an older version of Imagex (15063, I believe). Later versions could never apply UUP files without errors, we discussed that before, but that part of the thread seems to be gone.

...or WinNTSetup, of course. JFX, I notice that after downloading the DISM files, for x86 it has wimgapi version 15063, but for x64 it is version 18362.

What is the reason for that? Does the 18362 version not have the problems anymore?

If I recall correctly there were 2 problems: the UUP apply and the "registry save bug" that only occurred on x86 systems.

First one seems to be gone with newer wimgapi.dll but the second one still remains.

Edited by JFX

16 hours ago, JFX said:

Yes, for applying a wim wimgapi is the best solution.
Now it even have multi core decompression and supporting "recent" settings like "PinningFolderList".

For Capture of course wimlib is much faster so I added a new setting:

[Options]
UseWimLIB=2

The WinNTSetup.ini Option UseWimLIB=2 is quite convenient so that always the best solution is used:

wimgapi for Apply and wimlib for Capture of WIM files :thumbup

What is the function of PinningFolderList section in WimBootCompress.ini ?
In wimlib it is giving WARNING Unrecognized Section

Edited by wimb

19 hours ago, JFX said:

Very sad the he lost the source code,

OT :w00t::ph34r:, but this seems - sad as it it is - like a very good reason (not-so-often cited) to release the source code/publish it, that generally speaking applies to any non-Commercial/Free program.

jaclaz

PinningFolderList is about STORAGE_TIER_CLASS. The files will get performance class.
Microsoft is using WimBootCompress.ini for everything, mine is fine for what it's used.

@jaclaz
Nah, I've a paranoid backup solution, no need to release the source code.

Edited by JFX

In VHD_WIMBOOT I am using WimBootCompress.ini file made by alacran that contains in the [PrepopulateList] files bootmgr and Boot\BCD and EFI\BCD occurring inside VHD.
The files bootmgr and Boot\BCD are needed as file instead of as pointer when you want to boot with VHD from RAMDISK using SVBus driver and grub4dos menu.

In your WinNTSetup.ini file the [ExclusionList] section is missing, but that section is probably useful during Capture :rolleyes: e.g. to exclude the Windows\Prefetch folder
It seems to me that your WinNTSetup.ini file is designed for Apply of WIM only and not for the new Capture of WIM option :unsure:
It seems to me that in your program WimBootCompress.ini is NOT used at all for the case of Capture, sice also my WimBootCompress.ini is Not effective.

WimBootCompress.ini

Edited by wimb

17 minutes ago, JFX said:

There are 2 ini files.

Tools\WimBootCompress.ini is only used for wimboot/compact applies

Tools\WimScript.ini is used for capturing of WIM file.

Ok, Thanks for the Info :thumbup

Edited by wimb

21 hours ago, JFX said:

Yes, for applying a wim wimgapi is the best solution.
Now it even have multi core decompression and supporting "recent" settings like "PinningFolderList".

For Capture of course wimlib is much faster so I added a new setting:

[Options]
UseWimLIB=2

Not that this info really makes a huge difference to this topic but I ran a little test applying a wimlib capture image (29gigs but 12gigs compressed). I applied the image with wimgapi in 10mins25secs and 11mins27secs with wimlib on the same exact test machine I use to test my images.  

Edited by laddanator