WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

@ JFX

Thanks to you for this new version, just downloaded beta 3, I'll test install in compact mode using as source an *.esd and report back.

Also I want to share the easiest way to install wofadk.sys in our current 7 or 8.x OS, to make it able to run wofadk service on it:

Once you run WinNTSetup the first time, just copy wofadk.sys from folder Tools\x64\DISM or Tools\x86\DISM according to your current OS to:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers then run the attached WofAdk.reg to register it and reboot.

After reboot open a command as administrator and type net start wofadk and enter to make sure the service is running.

Best Regards

alacran

EDIT: From a 7SP-1x64 PC, I made an install Compact mode Xpress8k to a VHD using as source 10x64 install.esd, It ended fine, WinNTSetup.log looks there was no issue,  It took long time to finish unfortunately I didn't measure it. Latter booting from this VHD all is OK.

Wofadk reg file.7z

Edited by alacran

well, i picked green and i`m good to go.

and I said windows 10, not 7.

Try installing usb at this time.

I see that wimboot isn`t an best option.

test:windows 10 64 bit kn-not technical preview or insider review.

post-408196-0-21908000-1440848143_thumb.

I tried with adata usb 128gb using mode express k.(usb 3.0ver but It worked with u2.0 because there is no usb 3.0port)

yeah it failed. It ends with blue screen

I tried at windows 8.1 version and it tooks 24 hours to do it and I can`t spend more.

the iso or wim file what I use is windows 10 kn pro series and it is not insider preview.

don`t mess with windows 7 and 8.1, please!!!

Hi changuk98,

it's a bit hard to understand you and the problem you have.

What exactly are you doing and what bluescreen do you have?

Does it work if you apply in normal mode, no wimboot/compact?

Are there any 3th party driver need for your pc?

@alacran

Next version will log the time required to apply the wim file.

Multiple operations fail if Windows 8 is improperly identified as a Windows To Go installation

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2778881

Consider the following scenario:

• You have a computer that is running Windows 8
  • The Windows may report that it is running as a Windows To Go (WTG) installation, while it is not.
  • Running or configuring certain Windows components may fail since the OS is reported as Windows to Go. Since these components are not expected to work and should not work when running Windows To Go installations.

In this scenario, you may notice the following issues:

• Refresh your PC fails reporting: 
    Your PC can't be refreshed because it's running Windows To Go
  • The Windows To Go control panel reports: 
    Can't change startup options when you're in a your Windows To Go Workspace
  • Windows Store fails with error
    Windows Store isn't available on Windows To Go Workspaces

Anyone face this in any of the following for a WTG that you have.. that was.. created using on of the 3 below..

For those who have created or use WTG Windows To Go using any of the following ones? 

- using WinNTSetup

- using this WTG Creator: Windows to Go x64 x32 for Pro and Core RTM
- using the Geniune WTG in Windows Enterprise...

Also, the following questions..

- What kind of license does the created WTG have? 
- Does it take on the license/ activation of the "creating" system? 
- Does it have to be activated with a license separately.. if so what/ which license will work on it? 

My question is for Win 8.1, but I think the same might apply to Win 10?

Edited by crashnburn4u

- Does it have to be activated with a license separately.. if so what/ which license will work on it? 

Yeah, very difficult to find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go#Licensing

In a nutshell you need an Enterprise license and Software Assurance.

On technet (for Windows 8/5.1):

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj592680.aspx

How is Windows To Go licensed?

Windows To Go allows organization to support the use of privately owned PCs at the home or office with more secure access to their organizational resources. With Windows To Go use rights under Software Assurance, an employee will be able to use Windows To Go on any company PC licensed with Software Assurance as well as from their home PC. Additionally, through a new companion device license for Software Assurance, employees will be able to use Windows To Go on their personal computers at work.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

JFX, I was wondering if you could help with disabling automatic drivers updates in Windows 10.

Please read my post on MDL:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/64804-Finally-found-a-way-to-disable-automatic-driver-updates-in-Windows-10?p=1134905&viewfull=1#post1134905

As you can see I did try "something", I hoped it would work, but it didn't.

Any help on this would be great, but if you don't want to be bothered, that's fine as well. Never hurts to ask, does it?

I do have a less-than-perfect solution for this, and that is to install offline, then disable Windows Update completely, but that is of course not the best way to go. Also, Windows 10 Pro seems to activate better when it has an internet connection *during* setup (activating later does work, but can take days, and give strange errors, like "key blocked", when it really isn't, etc.)

Thanks again x1000 for WinNTSetup!!!!!

Thanks for those insights. I get that. We do have several Enterprise MAK licenses.

The typical WTG scenario I read about is Mother{ W Enterprise} - Daughter {created on USB using WTG} system. 

What I wish to do is avoid this and move my primary OS to a .VHD/ VHDX {As I read people doing on several blogs - But no clarity on what/how}

Could I do this with a DISM/ APPLY to VHD with a Win Enterprise ISO/ WIM? thereby avoiding the M&D and this VHD is good to go automatically? moveable across hardware. 

Do I have to create a Mother - Daughter thing and when mapping WTG Creator I map it to the mounted VHD drive? 

Yeah, very difficult to find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go#Licensing

In a nutshell you need an Enterprise license and Software Assurance.

On technet (for Windows 8/5.1):

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj592680.aspx

How is Windows To Go licensed?

Windows To Go allows organization to support the use of privately owned PCs at the home or office with more secure access to their organizational resources. With Windows To Go use rights under Software Assurance, an employee will be able to use Windows To Go on any company PC licensed with Software Assurance as well as from their home PC. Additionally, through a new companion device license for Software Assurance, employees will be able to use Windows To Go on their personal computers at work.

jaclaz

Edited by crashnburn4u

To JFX

I booted up with my usb named adata uc340 and last time I booted up to winodws 8.1, no drivers are needed during booting.

I wiped up the usb and installed the windows 10 kn pro series, not  the pe version.

It never booted because the first screen never turned to first setting.(I hope you understand this. when we install windows, first windows logo and turning wheels shows up, and next the setting screen shows up.)

And than, some error comes to bootmgr, spitting 0x000000e(I guess. It says the boot manager didn`t exist or broken.)

When I first check the windows 10, It take 12 hours, and it`s stuck. I only see the windows logo.

That`s what I have for now.

Finally tested this, and it seems to work!!! To be honest, I wasn't sure about this one, because I did so many failed testst before (also other stuff related with forced updates, activation delays, w7 delays on Windows Update, etc. etc.)

But never mind all that, THIS seems to work!:

(1) Create this "NoForcedW10DriversInstall.reg" in a folder called "w10tweaks"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]"SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

In the link you mentioned, different locations and explanations were used, but HKLM seems to be the correct one, and "0" seems to be the correct value (=turn off).

(2) Run WinNTSetup, select "Tweaks", select the "w10tweaks" folder.

(3) Install with internet connection. This way, my W10Pro is activated instantly, without the forced driver updates.

After setup, I can still select any Windows updates (including driver updates) with the WUInstall powershell module.

This seems to be the best solution for now, thanks for the help!!!

@changuk98

Turning wheels is a very common problem, if it takes more than 5 minutes

you can usually forget this installation.

0x000000e is either related to mismatch of the device data stored in \Boot\BCD

and the actual partition settings, or the device is really not accessible.

There is not much you can do in that case. Maybe trying the original setup of Windows 10.

I am not sure if WinNTSetup can do this, but thought I would ask.

I have a Windows 7 x64 machine that I can log into in Safe Mode, but in the standard boot, I can't.  I get to the logon screen and when I click the user icon it just flashes/flickers and returns to the user icon screen, no password prompt.  The shutdown and accessability buttons work there.

This happened after removing fingerprint reader software getting ready for W10 upgrade.  I figure that did something irreversable.  I wanted to do a repair install but unfortunately the standard Windows reinstall requires you to be in the standard desktop which is odd.  Is it possible to do a re-install with WinNTSetup like the re-install from Desktop that will keep all my applications and other settings in tact but replace the system itself?

Thanks.