WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Update Russian language DLL v3.7.5

@JFX, 2 questions:

- How to install Windows 8.1 WIMboot mode? What partitions on HDD must be created? What size?

- What key changes in registry tweak "Disable security warning for downloaded files"?

1049.zip

Thanks for the update kreker,

1) A single NTFS partiton would be enough for wimboot, but the size is a good question.

With every upate you install your wimboot installation grow more, cause the obsolete files in the wim can't be deleted..

Depending on your usage and hibernate and page file size, I would say at least 25 GB.

Keep in mind that you have to place the install.wim on an NTFS drive before using WinNTSetup.

Also it have to be a install.wim not install.esd nor install.swm.

2) Disable security warning for downloaded files is the following reg tweak

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001

Hi JFX,

at first I wolud like to congratulate you on your fantastic WinNTSetup tool, which I've known through the Wimb's thread "VHD_W8_Compact - Make Mini 8".

I'm making some experimentation with your tool (last 3.7.2 stable version) by building a "compact" Win8.1 on a penflash but, while building the vhd image, I was always constrained to load the related install.wim as source, because I always was not able to load the .iso image (R-click on Source).

Whenever  I choose the iso loading procedure (R-click), nothing seems to happen after I select the ISO from the file dialogue window and click Open.

I've made a lot of trials (even a manual installation of imdisk) but without success.

Besides, in some other occasion (loading the install.wim as source) I could see a "stop" red warning icon in the Source section and I do not know what is this warning for.

I wonder if I'm missing something important...

Thx in advance for your support

mariella

Hi mariella,

For the ISO mounting yes imdisk have to be installed.

Does it help if you move WinNTSetup_iso.cmd from the tools folder next to the WinNTSetup_x86.exe?

The red icon should have a tooltip if you hover the mouse a while.

It's properly the CPU check, that telling the current machine doesn't support this OS.

Hi mariella,

For the ISO mounting yes imdisk have to be installed.

Does it help if you move WinNTSetup_iso.cmd from the tools folder next to the WinNTSetup_x86.exe?

The red icon should have a tooltip if you hover the mouse a while.

It's properly the CPU check, that telling the current machine doesn't support this OS.

Hi JFX,

the first suggestion (for ISO mount) have worked nicely.

For the red icon, it comes up when I try lo load the 8 Enterprise evaluation and and it says "CPU Win 8 not ready".

This is strange though, because I've tried successfully to install different version of Win 8 !

mariella 

Hmm, can you post the output of Sysinternals Coreinfo

Coreinfo.exe -f

Here it is (dumped output attached).

Anyway, before posting on this thread, I had already checked with coreinfo and I saw that PAE, NX and SSE2 were OK, so that the CPU should have to be compatible with Win 8, I guess ...

On the other hand, as i said, I installed and ran it on the same machine, even if this is not surely a proven proof!

coreinfo.txt

@kreker

Bootice can't create a "Recovery image" partition.

But It can create a GPT partition scheme with ESP and MSR.

You have to use diskpart, to set the right ID to the recovery partition.

@mariella

That actually strange because I just use IsProcessorFeaturePresent API to determine if the CPU has PAE, NX and SSE2

for Windows 8 installs.

And the Win8.1 x64 required CX16 and LAHF are also very easy to receive.

Not sure whats going wrong, but you can simply ignore this warning.

Edited by JFX

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question: I've done hundreds and hundreds of OS installs with WinNTSetup (XP, W7, W8, W8.1, now W10 tests, etc), but hardly ever Vista installs. Lately, I've had to do a few, so I decided to try it out with WinNTSetup. From page 7 or 8 from this thread (around 2 May 2012) I've read that with Vista, the system drive is named D: instead of C:.

I just wanted to make sure if anything has changed in this regard. If I install Vista with WinNTSetup, will I have to accept that the system drive is always D:?

If so, not a big problem, but maybe in the meantime new solutions came up? Again, just want to make sure.

THANKS!!

Edited by Atari800XL

No, there has nothing changed til now.

I could replace all D:\ strings in the registry, but I guess there are also xml and some binary files.

Just do a normal install once and make a new sysprep image.

Edited by JFX

Just do a normal install once and make a new sysprep image.

Yes. good idea. I need to make a new wim anyway (170 updates, I believe. Still, only 500-600 mb for 32bit, which is reasonable, Windows 8 updates are almost that big each and every month).

Then the new (captured) install.wim *can* be used with WinNTSetup? (Hmm, guess not...?)

JFX, in the 2012 discussion you mentioned to somebody to "start setup.exe" instead of WinNTSetup (this is the initial setup we're talking about again). Was that after the WinNTSetup apply phase, or do I need to do a completely "normal" Vista setup, without any WinNTSetup involvement at all? (I like to document all steps).

Edited by Atari800XL

Yes, you will need to make a normal install before, with original setup.exe or you boot from the DVD / ISO.

This usually results in a system drive C:.

This installation sysprep, generalize and capture. The new WIM can be used with WinNTSetup and will always have C: as letter.

Yes, you will need to make a normal install before, with original setup.exe or you boot from the DVD / ISO.

This usually results in a system drive C:.

This installation sysprep, generalize and capture. The new WIM can be used with WinNTSetup and will always have C: as letter.

OK, will try that. Thank you very much for replying!

I must admit I can't "get my head around" how this is supposed to to work, but I will test it as soon as I get home. What I mean is this: I can't understand (without actually trying it) how a normal setup would use C:, while WinNTSetup would create D: as system drive. But of course, you will be right and I'm looking forward to "playing around" with that.

The update, sysprep/generalize and capture steps I always do anyway to create an updated wim, so that would stay the same.

And than again, I can't yet understand how a new install of the new wim would then ("suddenly") **DO** work correctly with WinNTSetup (and why this time the drive letter would be C:).

So I'll try the whole shabang, hope I won't have to bother you with my stupidity too much :-)