WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Hi Joseph,

There shouldn't be such a problem with The EFI loader on MBR disks.

But actually very EFI seems to following it's own will.

I don't want to add check boxes for everything, so for now I added just a new switch

run it like this WinNTSetup_x86.exe NT6 -nombrefi

and it will not create EFI on MBR disks

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=0053f5d45a736673&id=53F5D45A736673%21219&action=Share

bạn ơi phiên bản 3.4 ở dạng thí nghiệm chưa phải chính thức đứng không bạn

My friends version 3.4 in the form of formal experiments not stand not you

Edited by tranngocyd

Tranngocyd, I'm not really sure I understand you.

This version is not experimental, it just have a new and still not completed feature.

Only reason for using it would be the new command line switch.

Everyone else should wait for the next final version, which is coming soon.

Tranngocyd, I'm not really sure I understand you.

This version is not experimental, it just have a new and still not completed feature.

Only reason for using it would be the new command line switch.

Everyone else should wait for the next final version, which is coming soon.

cảm ơn bạn winntsetup đã hổ trợ "windows 8.1 update 1" chưa bạn ngày 4/3/2014

thank you winntsetup has supported "windows 8.1 update 1" yet you dated 04.03.2014

New Beta version 3.4 Beta 1

So for the end of Windows XP, WinNTSetup now finally supports syspreped WIM images for NT5 systems.

Just select them using right - click and setup as usual.

one requirement for XP wims: ntldr and ntdetect.com needs to be in the root of an image

Thanks JFX, I must admit I never tried sysprep with XP, but I use it with W7 and W8.1 all the time. I'm not a pro, but I do like creating updated install media, and through the years I figured out how to do it.

For XP, I just created my latest (final?) iso, using RyanIntegrator (for updatepacks and addon packs), nLite for latest hotfixes, DP for sata drivers, then Ultraiso for adding everything to a multiboot iso thingy, etc. etc. I can use this iso for burning a CD (if I ever need it for an old system), or for using with WinNTSetup, of course.

For W7, I install a clean wim in audit mode, let it update, generalize/shutdown, capture.

For 8.1, I install a clean wim in user mode, let it update, enter sysprep, cleanup image/ resetbase/ etc, then capture.

As you can see, I have some limited experience with this, but just in a very narrow field. My question is:

What is the advantage of using sysprep with XP, how can I do that, maybe you can link me to some info? That would be great, I'd love to try it (only if it makes sense, of course).

Thanks JFX, you're the best!!! :thumbup

As you can see, I have some limited experience with this, but just in a very narrow field. My question is:

What is the advantage of using sysprep with XP, how can I do that, maybe you can link me to some info? That would be great, I'd love to try it (only if it makes sense, of course).

While you are at it, you could experiment with Offline Sysprep (which uses sysprep anyway but allow for much more "flexibility"):

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showforum=43

jaclaz

Well, main advantage is that the setup time, is reduced.

The disadvantage is that is a bit more complicated to create a hardware independent image of XP than Vista and later.

The HAL has to be set to oldest require standard.

Some drivers like intel processor driver needs to be deactivated else AMD machines could blue screen.

All mouse and Keyboard drivers needs to be set to run.

Maybe you find some good info, search for "universal XP image ghost"

Thanks JFX, specially for the info that there is a lot more work involved to create a hardware independent XP image. I think I will pass on it. I just didn't know if there maybe were new developments in this field, etc. (I was wondering why you added the new functionality).

Keeping w7/w8.1 install.wim files up to date is enough work for now :-) Even the latest 8.1update files are not without "issues". I was used to modifying new Windows 8 install.wims with DISM (adding netfx, removing most AppxPackages), but with the new 8.1update iso, I even have to add kb2934018 in the wim, or else the new ("Update") install will require you to install the "Update" all over, straight after a fresh new install! (Unbelievable...)

Thanks JFX, specially for the info that there is a lot more work involved to create a hardware independent XP image. I think I will pass on it. I just didn't know if there maybe were new developments in this field, etc. (I was wondering why you added the new functionality).

Not in any way to "force" you onto anything, of course :), but really preparing an "universal" XP with Offline Sysprep is not at all "difficult", the program takes care of HALs and of mass storage drivers (of course it needs to be used with some attention, i.e. it is not an "automagic" app) but there is nothing particularly complex.

Giving up is NEVER an option ;), and giving up without even trying is even worse :ph34r:

jaclaz

Hmm, I said a bit more complicated not that it's all too much work.

And since XP did not get updates any more, you will only have to create it a single time.

Thanks, I will check it out someday...

I've also tried the new Nonno Fabio "ultimate" Update pack last weekend. Looking good, and he was kind enough to build it in a bunch (around 20?) localized versions!! I tried the Dutch version. Now I know JFX doesn't like "nlited sources", etc., but this one (as I'm sure you know) is very clean, it only requires one RyanVM run, then one DPbase run for storage drivers. I tested it and it works OK, it just can't find 5 files at textmode filecopy stage (ie4uinit.mui, iedkcs32.mui, ieframe.mui, mshta.mui, msrating.mui). I mentioned this on the RyanVM board, they told me to install from a normal CD first. It's just that I never use CDs/DVDs anymore, only Win8PESE from USB, never had any trouble with using WinNTSetup with XP installs for two years now, even with my somewhat "thrown-together" iso (well, it might sound that way, but it's actually very "clean": Dutch updatepack from oct/2013, NetFX and IE8 addon packs, then nLited with newer hotfixes, no tweaks or weird stuff except for classic setup screens, DPbase for storage drivers). I've used a selfmade monthly updated iso this way for months, never any problem. And I still use it (mostly on offline systems now).

So please could you give any hints or tips on how I can prevent the "not found" errors on the new Fabio source?

Maybe the entries in txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf will help (I must admit I don't know myself what these mean, I just provide them for info):

txtsetup.sif (looks like these are the only files with both "_x" and "244", not sure what that means...):

ie4uinit.mui = 100,,,,,,_x,244,0,0,ie4uinit.exe.mui
iedkcs32.mui = 100,,,,,,_x,244,0,0,iedkcs32.dll.mui
ieframe.mui = 100,,,,,,_x,244,0,0,ieframe.dll.mui
mshta.mui = 100,,,,,,_x,244,0,0,mshta.exe.mui
msrating.mui = 100,,,,,,_x,244,0,0,msrating.dll.mui

dosnet.inf (double entries!)

d1,ie4uinit.mui
d1,ie4uinit.mui,ie4uinit.mu_
d1,iedkcs32.mui
d1,iedkcs32.mui,iedkcs32.mu_
d1,ieframe.mui
d1,ieframe.mui,ieframe.mu_
d1,mshta.mui
d1,mshta.mui,mshta.mu_
d1,msrating.mui
d1,msrating.mui,msrating.mu_

I've tried removing the double entries, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Any tips would be very welcome, but if you can't be bothered, that OK as well, I have my "other" source as well, and as I said, that version is working perfectly with WinNTSetup. Thanks guys!!!!

Edited by Atari800XL

If I remember right, the problem with these double entries could be fixed by adding these files in both states (compressed and uncompressed).

so you would have 2 files in i386 or AMD64 folder

\i386\ie4uinit.mui

\i386\ie4uinit.mu_

ie4uinit.mu_ could be a simple copy of ie4uinit.mui and doesn't have to be compressed

ie4uinit.mui needs to be decompressed (using expand.exe)

YES!!!! That did the trick! Thank you!!!

You really are THE MAN, JFX! :thumbup

I will make a post on the RyanVM board, i just hope I won't be treated *too* harshly :-)

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6438&start=2900

As I said, OnePiece is sure there's nothing "wrong" with the updatepack, and of course I believe him, but do you have any idea what the cause might be of this? Of course, the easiest way is for "us" here at the WinNTSetup forum is to blame *them*, and for *them* to blame WinNTSetup. :whistle:

Never mind, the important thing is I now have an extra brand new "Ultimate" XP, which might come in handy sometimes. (There are still a lot of expensive [industrial] peripherals that "happen" to be connected to XP PC's!!)

So if anybody's looking for a localized "Ultimate XP", look here:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10445

Edited by Atari800XL

ie4uinit.mu_ could be a simple copy of ie4uinit.mui and doesn't have to be compressed

ie4uinit.mui needs to be decompressed (using expand.exe)

And possibly it can even be a hardlink/graft-point. :unsure:

Added:

If both are uncompressed, as JFX suggested, not if compressed, as Atari800XL "alternate solution" posted on RyanVM.

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6438&start=2920

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz