WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Your question: "In v2 do you have an winnt.sif file?": Yes, see point (1) and (2), these are from the working v2 version (2.3.6).

To me (with just basic scripting abilities, no real programming) it seems like a case of path=oldpath+newpath, where maybe something has gone wrong :-)

You *did* know you already coded this correctly in v2, right? :whistle: If not, then who are you, and what have you done to "our" JFX :o

Edited by Atari800XL

Well that I'm not the one how wrote it, should be clear by now.

Nonetheless I'm the one behind the development for over a year now.

Technically v2 does only work in your case by mistake, it's not designed to accept 2 different driver integrations on one source,

Well that I'm not the one how wrote it, should be clear by now.

Nonetheless I'm the one behind the development for over a year now.

Technically v2 does only work in your case by mistake, it's not designed to accept 2 different driver integrations on one source,

Well, it may be one of those rare "by pure chance" mistakes that open a new way, you know, something like:

http://www.rsc.org/chemsoc/timeline/pages/1928.html

Penicillin was discovered by chance, after Fleming accidentally left a dish of staphylococcus bacteria uncovered for a few days.

;)

jaclaz

Thanks guys. No, I did not know you were *not* the original developer. Sorry about that...

Very strange about the driver line. It seemed so natural to me to just "add" the new path, instead of replace.

So your advice would be to "take care" of that line myself, prior to reboot? If so, I'm still glad we figured this one out...

Or maybe still a chance that WinNTSetup can use "add" instead of "replace" like in v2? I would really like that!

Edited by Atari800XL

Or maybe still a chance that WinNTSetup can use "add" instead of "replace" line in v2?

Sure it will be done in next version, but there is much more I have to change here.

Next version have to wait a bit longer (holidays are over ....)

Edited by JFX

Yep, but it has to check all winnt.sif files,

- one created by driverpacks before winntsetup

-.one create by the MSSTMake integration

- one create by the driverpacks integration

- the one in the root of the XP source

- and the one supplied by user

I think the "one supplied by user" should naturally *replace* the winnt.sif in the xp source. The same goes for the first one in your list. The others look like they could/should be appended.

I'll patiently await your best decision...

Edit: Something like this might tie me over until a new WIP version (take your time!)

(sorry, Autohotkey is about as fancy as I get)

Untested Tested and working

; I use an XP source (iso) with already integrated DPbase mass storage; drivers, the paths to these drivers are located in winnt.sif, in; the variale OemPnpDriversPath; This winnt.sif file is located in the WinNTSetup folder, for easy; maintenance: when a change is made, there's no need to rebuild the iso.; When I use WinNTSetup (version 2.x), more drivers are added using; its "Add Drivers" option, this time from an ISO file (determined by PC; type, eg. video, sound, etc.). ; WinNTSetup 2.x **APPENDS** the paths; to these drivers in the OemPnpDriversPath.; The new 3.x version of WinNTSetup **REPLACES** the OemPnpDriversPath; when it adds drivers. In my case this means the MassStoragedrivers path; is gone, and XP won't boot from a SATA drive.; To solve this, I need to replicate the 2.x behaviour, and **APPEND**; the MassStorage to the OemPnpDriversPath.; Luckily, this can be done after WinNTSetup finishes, and prior to the; final reboot (that starts the XP setup) by using the "-RunAfter" parameter.; This script should be compiled with Autohotkey to ModifyDriverPath.exe.; Then the following switch can be added to the WinNTSetup 3.x commandline:; -runafter:"ModifyDriverPath.exe"; ===================================; This script starts execution after WinNTSetup has written all XP install; files to c:\; We now have to append the path in our original winnt.sif (from the; WinNTSetup program folder) to the modified (replaced) path which now; resides on the c: driveoriginalfile=%a_scriptdir%\winnt.sifmodifiedfile=c:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\winnt.sifIniRead, ExistingPath, %originalfile%, Unattended, OemPnpDriversPathIniRead, ModifiedPath, %modifiedfile%, Unattended, OemPnpDriversPath; Now we join the original path with the new path (using ";") and; write it (in textquotes) to the winnt.sif file on c:IniWrite, "%ExistingPath%;%ModifiedPath%", c:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\winnt.sif, Unattended, OemPnpDriversPath
Edited by Atari800XL

Yes, that should help until next WIP comes.

After checking a bit more about driver packs, I tend more to scan the \$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\$1\D folder so no need to rely on winnt.sif.

But this biggest part should be logging what's happen :angel

I was going to be quiet for a change, but I decided to modify my previous message with an updated and tested script, with comments, for people who are trying to figure out what all the fuss is about...

But a funny thing happened that I had to share:

- The "runafter" command doesn't seem to work (yet?) with version 3 and XP (nt5). Sigh... :-) just when I thought I had a clever way of working around the drivers thingy...

Never mind, just thought I'd mention it. I will execute the command manually for now (it *does* work!), and try (again) to wait patiently...

Okay fixed driver stuff and runafter switch for nt5.

Current version WinNTSetup v3 (WIP 07/09/2013) Rev 1

PS: I'm away for the next week :hello:

Edited by JFX

I didn't expect a new version so soon from what you said, but was very curious, so here we go again.

(Just saw your message again from 28 aug, :"Please report any Bugs you find.", until you say otherwise, I will keep on testing and replying). A little Q and A:

- Driverpath now modified with existing driverpackpaths?: YES

(path is added, not replaced).

- Driverpath takes *all* paths from supplied winnt.sif: NO (but that's OK, as long as we know the behaviour, we can work around that).

- Winnt.sif looking good prior to reboot?: Hmmm, it has shrunken considerably, only a few lines left, not sure what that's about (lines like Productkey, Resolution, Adminpassword, etc are gone. Not sure about the consequences of that).

- XP installs OK anyway? NO, this is what I get after reboot (after loading textmode drivers, translated):

"Please insert the cdrom named 'Windows XP professional edition sp3' in the drive"

Just reporting... I'm back to the previous version 20130904rev1 for now (and, of course, version 2.x).

Too bad we can't just take the existing winnt.sif and only add the path of the newly added drivers from the "-drivers" switch. I know why this is, you explained that, but still, too bad to see that things have become a bit more complicated in this respect.

Take your time please...

Edited by Atari800XL

JFX, have a happy holiday, thanks for quickly fixing the last issue I mentioned in my last message. (I noticed you changed 20130907 to 20130907rev1 after I had written it). You didn't mention it, but I had a feeling I should check it out once more.,, :whistle:

The only driver you have to worry about now is the one driving you to the nightclubs :thumbup