WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

JFX, I use this tool install Windows 7 Lite

After Installed by WinNTsetup 2.3, I use Norton Ghost create image file (A.GHO)

Extract A.GHO image file to other PC

But after install, Partion installed Windows 7 is named D: (I want it is named C:)

do you used the option in that picture?

sysletter.png

Also drive letter is hard code for a partition, you should not use disk imaging here.

I used the option in that your picture, and this fail:

2211201291432796.jpg

Meigyoku, good but you can not use Norton Ghost after WinNTSetup has run.

WinNTSetup only tells the windows setup that the selected partition is wanted as C:

If you use disk imaging like Ghost this don't work, as the partition is not found !

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Meigyoku, good but you can not use Norton Ghost after WinNTSetup has run.

WinNTSetup only tells the windows setup that the selected partition is wanted as C:

If you use disk imaging like Ghost this don't work, as the partition is not found !

cheers.gif

Maybe I wrong (did not choose Mount install driver as C:), thank you, if have fail I will tell you! :thumbup

Edited by meigyoku

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Version 2.3.2.1

- unattended file selection remembers last location

- Fixed a bug in command prompt tweak (Thanks Lancelot)

- Fixed a bug with XP MC/T Editons

- Fixed rare appcrash

- cmdline option win8noanimation now trigger tweak check box

- added new command line options:

DisableSystemRestore, DisableSFC, DisableHibernate, DisablePagefile

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Except for DisablesSFC, do the added command line options do the same thing as the related entries in the Admin Tweaks section?

Yes, they only activate the respected tweaks check boxes.

Also what is the advantage of disabling System File Checker?

During Setup SFC creates NTFS compressed copies of most system files (DllCache), this usually takes a few minutes.

Also you save this ~400MB disk space, that is practically wasted

The SFC on-the-fly protection was long time the most useless feature of windows, but now there a new one called Secure Boot. rofl.gif

Thank you JFX for this new Sinterklaas gift (I know you don't understand, It's a Dutch thing...)

I was just doing some testing with Windows 8 DISM, to remove Windows 8 apps from the install.wim. eg. like this:

dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.BingFinance_1.2.0.135_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

OK, that doesn't directly have anything to do with WinNTSetup, but it *IS* a very big coincidence that I was just checking out this forum, to see that you have more stuff for me to try out (new commandline options, YES!!, I will try out all new ones: DisableSystemRestore, DisableSFC, DisableHibernate, DisablePagefile).

Lucky thing is that I timed my latest install, so I will time it again with these new switches, I'm looking forward to finding out how much time/ space it saves. I have absolutely no need for SystemRestore and SFC, I always use TrueImage, or WinNTsetup with my own PostInstall system for my programs. UltraClean, and also very fast!!!

Thanks again!!!

(PS, if you use the DISM commands below, you are greeted with extactly 3 (!!!) Metro icons upon a clean install!! "Desktop", "Internet Explorer" and "Store").

dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.BingFinance_1.2.0.135_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.BingMaps_1.2.0.136_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.BingNews_1.2.0.135_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.BingSports_1.2.0.135_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.BingTravel_1.2.0.145_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.BingWeather_1.2.0.135_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.Bing_1.2.0.137_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.Camera_6.2.8514.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:microsoft.microsoftskydrive_16.4.4204.712_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.Reader_6.2.8516.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16.4.4206.722_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:microsoft.windowsphotos_16.4.4204.712_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.XboxLIVEGames_1.0.927.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.ZuneMusic_1.0.927.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
dism /image:d:\mount /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.ZuneVideo_1.0.927.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Edited by Atari800XL

No coincidence, for today release. Thought about our version of Sinterklaas called Nikolaus.

Thanks for the dism tip, there are definitively too many icons on the Metro screen.

JFX, could you please elaborate a little on "DisablePagefile"? Is it recommended to turn it off? In which situation could it be a good thing/ or a bad thing to turn it off? Thanks...

Edited by Atari800XL

Well, the tweaks in the red group should not be used if there is no specific reason tongue.gif

For example, I disable UAC because after installation I have to set up a lot stuff and don't want every time an UAC prompt. But after all done I set UAC to maximum level.

Or I disable Hibernate cause I have too much RAM and my old TV-card don't survive a wakeup form hibernate state.

DisablePagefile should generally not be disable, but I often need to install Windows in a VM with very limited space and i sure there is no need for a pagefile.

With my PC that have 16GB RAM I actually could disable it, but i don't.

I set it to a small minimum size.

Often people say, that some program needs a pagefile to work, but if you ask them which program they instantly get some Alzheimer attack cheesy.gif

Well I never found such a program, but a small configured pagefile don't hurt

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Thanks. I fully agree on UAC. For the "Postinstall" program I made it's better to have it turned off, temporarily.

Thanks for the pagefile explanation. Before, I couldn't imagine a situation where you would want to turn it off, but lately, when creating VM's (like those nice systems that "help" new W8 systems), I understand that in some VM cases, you can turn off the pagefile.

Testing the new switches worked very well, except for "-disableSFC" in Windows 8. Now I'm not sure if that's intended? (It shows "error at line 1026).

Edited by Atari800XL

Testing the new switches worked very well, except for "-disableSFC" in Windows 8. Now I'm not sure if that's intended? (It shows "error at line 1026).

Ohh, that one I fixed already, but the final *.zip file was not recreated cause by silly AV software that didn't like the mpress packer.

Okay re-uploaded and version remains the same.

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

With my PC that have 16GB RAM I actually could disable it, but i don't.

I set it to a small minimum size.

Often people say, that some program needs a pagefile to work, but if you ask them....

PhotoShop 5.5 do not work without page file :ph34r:

check ps55try.exe (available at adobe ftp)

(and I know, nobody uses it anymore )

Ghost 11.5 complains about low memory without page file, besides my tests shows no trouble with/without pagefile.

Other things I can not remember, years past from my last trial ..

But my impression was:

some programs (or bad programmers) do not think about available ram provided by user :whistle:

aside Windows apps naturally aware so there is no trouble setting pagefile to none if you do not fill windows with lots of apps.... (virtual tests ;) )

In very past I also disabled pagefile, but than I decided to set it on 2nd hd,

Well, If I had 16 GB Ram (Current 2 GB ;)), I would reserve some of them for pagefile with ramdisk,

probably with Gavotte RamDisk to forget anything about pagefile....

I like not living with troubles :angel

Thanks for the new version,

my next tests, months later.....

See You