WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

WIP 09/13/2013 is up!

It fixes a lot of bugs and should be closed to an alpha version.

Driver integration should now work in all cases.

- it should not matter how driver in the XP source were integrated (dpase all methods or nlite)

- no need to use winnt.sif ini from dpbase method 1

- OemPnPDriversPathUpdate is cleaned form possible duplicates

http://sdrv.ms/13YWwCY

Edited by JFX

Well, no bad luck for you on friday the 13th. I tested (my usual) triple setup W7/W8/XP on one PC, everything A-OK!!! Beautiful!!!!

:thumbup

So now we're back to cosmetics-only remarks, because the only thing I noticed was the "ready?" screen timer counts down from 10 to 1 with XP (nt5) , while with W7/W8 (nt6) it doesn't count down, but mentions "30 seconds".

Sorry, once a nitpicker...

On to 3.0 alpha!

Would it be possible to let WinNTSetup check for the new Windows 8.1 processor requirements? As luck has it, I was testing on a p4-630 (which runs Windows 8.0 just fine), this system can't install 8.1 x64 because it lacks CMPXCHG16b, prefetchW, LAHF/SAHF. I used Sysinternals' Coreinfo.exe to check for these requirements. Of course the apply stage goes without problems, but on reset the system errors out. I think it would look really professional if WinNTSetup could check for this.

Just an idea, please put it on the "maybe next year" list...

Now I'm on to checking 8.1 x64 on more systems...

EDIT: Hmm, never mind, forget about that, not worth the trouble, besides: easier to check in my own program prior to calling WinNTSetup. Thanks for listening, anyway... :blushing:

Edited by Atari800XL

Should be possible to add these checks, thought I wonder about prefetchW,

Coreinfo.exe tells me I have it, but on this 4 years old Intel CPU it's have be kidding me.

EDIT: Here's small console app, please check out if is display correct data

cpu.zip

Edited by JFX

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz

Your console app reports:

Windows 8 Support:+  PAE+  SSE2+  NXWindows 8.1 x64 Support:+ CMPXCHG16B+ LAHF/SAHF- PREFETCHW (AMD)

But Sysinternals' Coreinfo says (Asterisk means: supported):

CX16       * Supports CMPXCHG16B instructionLAHF-SAHF  * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit modePREFETCHW  * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

And Windows 8.1 x64 installs OK.

..so it looks your console app doesn't report PREFETCHW correctly (yet?).

Thanks for picking this up anyway, after some more thinking about this, I do believe it would be pretty cool if WinNTSetup would report this info beforehand. Thanks!!

Edited by Atari800XL

..so it looks your console app doesn't report PREFETCHW correctly (yet?).

Actually I think it reports it right. You don't have an AMD CPU.

No sure why coreinfo lies here, but you should not have the prefetchw feature with this CPU.

I found this amd-only-prefetchw-instruction-is-generated-in-x64-optimized-code

Well if I understand this right, than an x64 Windows simply ignore a prefetchw instruction if the CPU don't support it.

So it doesn't make much sense that it is a system requirement for x64 Win8.1

On a test of two systems, these were the differences in the CoreInfo ouput:

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel

SSSE3      - Supports Supplemental SIMD Extensions 3LAHF-SAHF  - Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit modePDCM       - Supports Performance Capabilities MSRTM2        - Implements Thermal Monitor 2 controlCNXT-ID    * L1 data cache mode adaptive or BIOSPREFETCHW  - Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13, GenuineIntel

SSSE3      * Supports Supplemental SIMD Extensions 3LAHF-SAHF  * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit modePDCM       * Supports Performance Capabilities MSRTM2        * Implements Thermal Monitor 2 controlCNXT-ID    - L1 data cache mode adaptive or BIOSPREFETCHW  * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

So I concluded that it had to be Prefetch and LAHF/SAHF, as they were mentioned in the Windows 8.1 x64 requirements. Also, Windows 8.1 installs on the Core2, but not on the P4-630. But I guess everything might be a bit more complicated.

WinNTSetup v3 Alpha0

- fixed WinNTSetup_iso.cmd wasn't found in some cases
- fixed shutdown countdown timer
- fixed password reset could not remove the used service
- added Product key decoding support for Office 2013
- added CPU check for Winowd 8.1 x64*

*) if CPU is not supported, hotkey will be removed and warning icon set on OK Button

Thank you very much for the new version. Of course I already saw your message two days ago, but I wanted to wait for other reactions first. Well, there aren't any (yet). Now there must surely be (a lot?) more users of WinNTSetup, right? With every new version, I'm amazed by this wonderful tool, and of course the fact that you want to share it with us, for free! Thanks x1000

I like the new "Product keys" feature! It finds all keys on all my OS partitions. When multiple keys are found, only one is saved, is it possible change that, or to add "Save all"?

The new WinNTSetup cpu check on the P4 (mentioned a few posts up) says it is W8.1x64 ready (but it's not). But never mind for now...

Edited by Atari800XL

Hmm, yeah for the download count there is very few respond on the forum.

The save button was thought to save all and will do so with next version.

The CPU check has a small bug I just found.

Seams that would occur if neither CMPXCHG16B nor LAHF/SAHF instructions are supported.

Latest WinNTSetup v3 was used in Win8 x86 OS to Install Win7 x86 Ultimate in fresh 10 GB VHD.

Dialogue to collect Files like bcdboot.exe does not appear so that bcdboot.exe is missing in Tools\x86

WinNTSetup v3 - Failed to create Bootfiles.

post-132150-0-39654100-1380224742_thumb.

Then Manually I made Bootfiles using Admin command window with

bcdboot Z:\Windows /s D:

After reboot then Install of Win7 in VHD is going OK.

=====================================================================

For XP the Caption of the Tweak 'Disable Hibernate' is wrong and reads now "will not prompt you to create a user"

For XP the winnt.sif inside i386 is not anymore recognised auto to set Unattend Checkbox.

Why is folder CMPNENTS copied to Installation Drive in case of XP ? It is not used and it was not done before.

Drive Details do not appear at Program Start in case of preset Boot and Installation Drive.

Drive Details (Size + Free + Format + Align) only appear after Selecting Boot or Installation Drive.

After Format by using F button, then Drive Details should be refreshed.

It should NOT be possible to use F button, when the Drive is not selected (e.g. when there is no drive letter :ph34r:)

When Win7/8 Source is not yet selected, then pressing Enter key or click on Setup Button brings up the Ready dialogue.

XP mode gives the better answer - the popup - Error - Windows Source invalid !

In fact the Setup button should be disabled as long as the three main choices are not valid.

When Setup is running, then all edit fields and all buttons (except Cancel) should be disabled,

since you don't want the user to make changes anymore.

Edited by wimb

Wow 8 bugs at once, thanks a lot wimb :thumbup

Also a good idea to disable the GUI options during setup phase

Although, for the setup button, it's the easiest solution to have it available all the time.

So a button click can always tells the user what's wrong with the chosen options.