WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Okay done, you now can run it like this: "WinNTSetup_x86.exe download".

It will silently download the adk tools and close with exitcode 0 if successful.

WinNTSetup v3.2.1

- reduced ADK download size by 600KB

- new download command line option to download ADK silently

- added links to about gui

- removed bootice from tools

Why did you decide to do this? Bootice is what I use when the PBR for XP is incorrect. I have a multiboot system that uses BootitNG as the boot manager. When I prep XP with WinNTSetup from W7, I select bootice if the PBR for XP (on F:) is not correct (PBR sometimes has bootmgr). If I use bootsect, it doesn't change the PBR to NTLDR and also disables BootitNG.

Edited by click-click

If I use bootsect, it doesn't change the PBR to NTLDR and also disables BootitNG.

Care to explain?

Do you mean that bootsect.exe /NT52 does not produce a PBR/VBR invoking NTLDR? :unsure::w00t:

jaclaz

P.S.: In any case one can download the bootice from it's own homesite:

http://bbs.ipauly.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2

Edited by jaclaz

My, my it's just gone from the zip file, not killed or made it impossible to use it anymore.

Users can still download and put it in the tools folders themselves.

But it saves me same minutes uploading a new version.

Why don't you have reported that bootsect.exe is not working for you, before?

There is always a WinNTSetup.log file in the new Windows folder that contains bootsect's stdout.

If you discover this problem again please upload the log.

Edited by JFX

I'm talking about using the WinNTSetup GUI when preping for an XP install selecting either bootice or bootsect to update the PBR . I'm not saying running from a cmd line does not work.

Good :), then it is a possible bug that - once brought to the attention of JFX - is likely to be easily reproducible and solvable.

jaclaz

My, my it's just gone from the zip file, not killed or made it impossible to use it anymore.

Users can still download and put it in the tools folders themselves.

But it saves me same minutes uploading a new version.

Why don't you have reported that bootsect.exe is not working for you, before?

There is always a WinNTSetup.log file in the new Windows folder that contains bootsect's stdout.

If you discover this problem again please upload the log.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood and thought Bootice would no longer be available from the GUI. I'm glad it can still be selected if found in the tools dir. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I did not report bootsect not working when installing XP from Win7 because I thought the error was caused by doing the XP install from an active Win7 system.

The previous versions of WinNTSetup included bootsect.dat in \$WIN_NT$.~BT\. If it ended up wrong, I just replaced it with my own bootsect.dat that used NTLDR. There is no longer a bootsect.dat included in \$WIN_NT$.~BT\ and my alternative was to use Bootice from the GUI.

Edited by click-click

Bootsect.dat is not used anymore, it was a useless trouble maker.

Setupldr is now renamed to ntldr, the text mode phase cleans this up.

EDIT: Version 3.2.2 uploaded!

this just a small bugfix version, the last subst fix could effect iso/vhd mounting

Edited by JFX

- reduced ADK download size by 600KB

- new download command line option to download ADK silently

Thank you :thumbup
I used the new switch to write a WinNTsetup3 plugin for WinPE.
About Bootice, a detail but it is may be well to look at, manage the new names, BOOTICEx64.exe, BOOTICEx86.exe, defined by Pauly after creating x64 version.
In addition to BOOTICE.exe to get the button.
:)

About Bootice, a detail but it is may be well to look at, manage the new names, BOOTICEx64.exe, BOOTICEx86.exe, defined by Pauly after creating x64 version.
In addition to BOOTICE.exe to get the button.
:)

Possibly a stupid question, but won't a 32 bit BootIce work the same on both a 32 bit and a 64 bit OS? :unsure:

Or there is something that I cannot recall right now that is "bitness specfic"?

In any case, if bitness specific is needed, it would make IMHO more sense to adopt a solution similar to the one gbrao used here:

https://sites.google.com/site/gbrtools/home/software/bootice-portable/downloads

http://reboot.pro/topic/8986-bootice-a-boot-sector-manipulation-utility-v078-released/?p=177623

where the used version is "automatically chosen".

jaclaz

BootIce x86 works without trouble with the x64 architecture if WOW64 feature is enabled.

This is an optional supplement, and its calls works well, as it is, it seems to me.

WinNTSetup_x64.exe Launch bootice from Tools\x64 with BootIce x64 or x86 inside.

WinNTSetup_x86.exe Launch bootice from Tools\x84 with BootIce x86 inside (or, by pulling hair, the x64 version for 64-bits host system).

It is only a call of this tool, keep it simple ;)