WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Okay, I understand. I could not find this file after winntsetup finished - only in the temp directory when it was running. Where is this file from?

bootmnt.exe is a small tool I wrote to mount all hidden boot partitions. It's integrated in WinNTSetup and extracted every start to temp folder.

I noticed that $WINDOWS.~BT was still present on C:\ the last time I did a Win7 install with WinNTSetup. Is this normal and can it be safely deleted?

Normally an XP/2003 install deletes that folder in the last setup phase, but it doesn't work always.

Especially on newer systems, that folder and the file $LDR$ remain after setup.

I Never saw this on previous Win7 installs, but I guess I can just delete it without anything getting broken.

I will keep an eye on this to see if iit's a random thing the next time I install.

Edited by click-click

Version 2.3.6.3

- fixed ini file issues (Thanks Scampy82)
- fixed bug with FAT32 boot partition
- added -BootToDesktop command line switch
- full support for Windows 8.1 Preview

*Driver integration of Windows 8.1 needs some API Set Stub files for ADK 8.1.
See Tools\files.txt and download them with GetWaikTools (Dism for Windows 8.1)

Edited by JFX

Thanks for the new version. Amazing to see you also were very quick to add ADK 8.1 support to GetWaikTools. Just a quick question (as you seem to know a lot about Dism): Do you have any idea why the new /startcomponentcleanup functions (added with KB2821895? The way I understand it, dism can now compress/diff files in wSxS?) seem to take hours on some systems? If not, please discard this question (I know it's kind of off-topic anyway, still, it drives me crazy!!)

Edited by Atari800XL

Hi first of all I want to congratulate and thank all of the people admins and general users for such an awesome insightful post. I am new here but I have been using Winntsetup for awhile but I recently deleted most of my Win7 VHDs so I decided to use the newer Winntsetup instead of an older one I used to use. The problem is for some reason with this newer I will call 'Wnt' for short 2.3.6.3 all I get after setup is completed and reboot is a black screen and "_" blinking in the upper left corner and nothing happens. The install Wim I use is from Win7 Ultimate x86 x64 and I have a x64 system if that helps. I ran it a couple times with varying results before I got Windows setup could not complete with this hardware and couple other times I got Windows error cannot complete setup restart and install again.

Please Help!

Blinking cursor usually comes from a bios or boot sector problem. What did you used to create the partitions?

"Windows setup could not complete with this hardware" could mean that your PC is not compatible with Windows 7 or there is a driver problem.

Is this "Win7 Ultimate x86 x64" wim file you have a clean image or some wired integrated one?

Thanks for the reply as I should have probably said before I have used the same Windows 7 with an older Winntsetup before but I haven't needed to use it for some time until I recently decided to create new ones and I saw there was a newer version of winntsetup so I decided to use the latest update I found here. I deleted the older version I had used previously since I didn't think I would need it.

My exact steps are mounted the Win 7 Ultimate x86 x64 iso I have saved on a HDD then proceeded to make VHD with Winntsetup then did a couple tweaks made sure the boot drive is primary and set to active then ran setup which completed but when I reboot I either get error message or blinking "_" in the left corner so my guess is that it is something to do with the newer Winntsetup which to me seems odd. I also tried to run setup from the mounted Win 7 iso to install to a freshly created VHD made with Winntsetup but it says setup can't run on the drive.

Hope this answers your question and makes it more clearer.

Hope this answers your question and makes it more clearer.

Well, you didn't actually answer the questions.

However can you make some more test, for example without VHD.

Does this works?

BTW: I don't think there is an issue with newer version of WinNTSetup.

If I install my Win 7 Ultimate x64 on HD it installs just fine but that is not what I want to do. As I mentioned before I have used an older version of Winntsetup2 before with the exact same ISO and it worked without any hitches or glitches that I can remember, my bios is set to default as it always has even when I was still booting to the VHDs I had before I deleted them to create new ones. I have always done my VHDs using a WinPE OS so I have no clue what the problem could quite possibly be now. The Windows 7 I use and have always used is Windows 7 Ultimate SP0 64-Bit en-US (Build 6.1.7600.16385).

Btw I was wondering if by some chance someone could upload an older version of Winntsetup I think the one I used to use was 2.2 or somewhere along that region.

Thank You!

In case I misinterpreted I also ran winntsetup to install the aforementioned W7 to my HD and got the same results blinking "_" in the left corner. I am no expert but either the updated "Wnt" [short for Winntsetup2 x86x64] is not compatible with this version of Windows 7 I am using or something I have no clue about because if I install W7 to the same partition on the HD which I have done many times before it installs and runs as it should. Another thing that seems odd is if I create a VHD with Wnt and then rather than use Wnt I try to install to the same VHD using setup from the mounted W7 Ultimate ISO it says setup can't run on the drive/partition, isn't a VHD capable of being installed to without using Wnt?

@GBossN4eVr

Maybe it would help if you start with a clean enviroment, new partition the disk and using a clean (untouched) windows iso.

@tiagotecno

@cy06

@4Li

Thanks for the new translatiuons :thumbup

I run winnt (lastest version) on both of Windows 7, 8 and Windows 7 PE, only display as picture:

cmQ7pf7.jpg

If choose Yes, it's OK but in Windows PE, I can not connect Internet. Thanks!

Edited by meigyoku

meigyoku, run it on a (full) Windows that is conected to the internet first, then note that an extra "tools" folder is added to WinNTSetup. Now save the full folder, and run that from PE. It will see that the tools are already there, and will not try to download them again.

Edited by Atari800XL

meigyoku, run it on a (full) Windows that is conected to the internet first, then note that an extra "tools" folder is added to WinNTSetup. Now save the full folder, and run that from PE. It will see that the tools are already there, and will not try to download them again.

Thank you, I understand!