WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

@Atari800XL
Runafter will find a place on the proceed page.

@conty9
Really don't understand what you mean with subst not working. I tried a few things and couldn't find an issue with it.

@purjuju
Have never tried booting windows form SD card, but it should be possible.
However your problem comes from the PBR, maybe repartitionize your card can help.

@Jotto
Your right, there is something broken with the use of swm files.

BTW: with bootice you can create a USB flash drive with multiple partitions.
A FAT32 for the boot one and an NTFS for normal usage.

Happy new year,

@JFX

i would like to use your tool:-) and have some questions, hints, wishes and a bug report.

maybe some of them can be fixed or become supported features;-)

1)

my first try was to use winntsetup within winpe 3.0, nothing special

i have some preconfigured OS'es powerd by RIS/WDS server and i decided to

install from selected source a new winxp/sp3/vl-OS. B)

2)

my second try was to let winntsetup install an untouched winxp/sp3/vl-OS

however i guess case 1) is unsupported, but my attempt 2) also failed.

after reboot, the error message "Error loading operating system" is displayed.

the disk seems to be OK (MBR/PTB/NTFS-Partion craeted by bootice, NT5.x bootcode),

because im able to install into same partition when processing another methods.

(in winntsetup i see MBR/NTLDR PBR/BOOT FLAG all OK)

i will try a real machine;-) maybe vmplayer 5.0.3 doesnt work....

case 1)

When using WDS, there is a special folder 'templates' within the i386 folder.

it contains a set of .sif files.

**wish**

the .sif files looks like:

[data]

floppyless = "1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

UnattendedInstall = "Yes"

OriSrc = \\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%

OriTyp = "4"

LocalSourceOnCD = 1

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

of cource OriSrc/SetupSourceDevice are unusable.

there are some variables (fixed and user-defined) like %ORGNAME%,%MACHINENAME%,%MACHINEDOMAIN%,%IP%

is it possible to create a set of variables (%ORGNAME%...),

let the user define them and replace values in the selected .sif file?

it is possible to fix or delete OriSrc, SetupSourceDevice?

**hint**

winntsetup creates always a $oem$ folder (tweaks), even if no tweak is selected.

**bug report**

in case of an existing cmdlines.txt, for example

[Commands]

"%systemdrive%\$Setup$\setupcomplete.cmd"

winntsetup inserts an extra line , but destroys the original one (ystemdrive%\$Setup$\setupcomplete.cmd").

-------

is there a way to hide the gui part "Windows 2000/XP/2003" or "Windows Vista/7/8/2008/2012" respectively?

Thanks JFK

Edited by datanfsm

@JFX
I did try to make two partitions with many diffrent programs, the result is all the same - windows can't access the second partition, neither can winpe. That's why i use swm files.

@datanfsm

WDS is not supported, only usual local windows sources are useable by WinNTSetup.

The cmdlines.txt bug will be fixed.

@Jotto

Your right Windows can only access the first partition, but bootice can switch them. So you can have a hidden boot partition that windows ignores but still is bootable.

I tried using v3.0.6 with Win 7 SP1 32-bit Ultimate as a source (Win7 64-bit Ult as host) and installing to an NTFS USB HDD (first partition). The install went OK and the USB HDD boots, but I get 'Starting Windows' and then the rgby flag and then 'Windows could not complete the installation'.

Am I missing a step? Is booting from USB supported or are extra tweaks required?

Edited by steve6375

'Windows could not complete the installation'.

Am I missing a step? Is booting from USB supported or are extra tweaks required?

No you don't miss anything. This a quite often occurring error, but not limited to the fast install way.

On some machines I got this even multiple times trying to install from original Win7 DVD.

I guess there some timing problem while initialize hardware that cause it.

Many, many thanks JFX for your Tool :-)

Thx for fixing cmdlines bug....

1) even if not supported , setup from WDS i386 Folder works well ;-) , we need to copy setupldr.bin into the source folder :-) a pity that there is no Intention to modify selected .sif file and replace variables in it with real values..however it can be managed by Notepad or some automated postprocessing;-)

1) & 2) i had to use diskpart to prepare the disk, (i guess the reason of failed setup was the default partition alignment applied by bootice)

@datanfsm

Maybe there will be more improvements for XP installs, but not soon.

Currently there is only 1 easter egg planed for NT5 installs, but maybe if there is more time avalible. Let's see.

Anyway there are enough fixes since the 3.0 release, so here's a small update.

Update WinNTSetup v3.1

- fixed splited wim (swm) files could not be applied
- using vista style folder browse dialogs if available
- new runafter program selection on Ready GUI
- fixed existing cmdlines.txt became corrupted
- minor bugfixes

@Atari800XL

Runafter will find a place on the proceed page.

Nice!! Didn't even think about the proceed page, this is a nice compromise (as I said, I know you don't like to change the UI).

I'm testing right now, I open XYplorer to find my "test-copyafter.exe", use control-p to copy the filename with path and paste it into the WinNTSetup "Proceed" Runafter line. This seems to work nicely.

Even better would be a tiny little file selector after the editbox, would you pleaser condider that? Maybe a tiny "..." box, like in the main GUI. (EDIT: Tested it multiple times already, working nicely, real advantage of a fileselector would be to prevent typos. Still, if you leave things as they are, I'm completey happy with it, thanks for listening!!!!)

Thank you JFX, I hope you will be with "us" for many more years!!!! The more I read about this stuff (WinNTSetup, GetWAIKTools, Win81SE, etc, etc) the more I realize that you are the main force behind most of this stuff, you are one of the only people who combine programming skills, "general niceness", patience and communication skills. It's hard enough to find people with only *one* of these, but you seem to have them all. :thumbup

Edited by Atari800XL

Oh, so you have not noticed that you can click on the OEM and Runafter labels to get file select dialogs, my bad for not mention that.

Well honestly I have nothing to do with PESE progress anymore. ChrisR puts all his time in development.

I'm just enjoy beta testing these great WinPE's.

Edited by JFX

Oh, so you have not noticed that you can click on the OEM and Runafter labels to get file select dialogs, my bad for not mention that.

I have nothing to do with PESE progress anymore.

Nope, didn't notice that I could click Oem and Runafter... I think it's because I use the keyboard as much as I can (together with Autohotkey shotcut keys, etc). So it turns out the file selector was there already. Brilliant, thanks!!!

About WinPESE: I'm sure you will help out again when it's needed... (?)

Anyway: I'm sure you know what I meant: Your (nick-)name pops up all over the place, that why I mentioned it. Bottomline is: You are good guy... (now take the compliment, please!) :P

Edited by Atari800XL

@datanfsm

Maybe there will be more improvements for XP installs, but not soon.

Currently there is only 1 easter egg planed for NT5 installs, but maybe if there is more time avalible. Let's see.

Anyway there are enough fixes since the 3.0 release, so here's a small update.

Update WinNTSetup v3.1

- fixed splited wim (swm) files could not be applied

- using vista style folder browse dialogs if available

- new runafter program selection on Ready GUI

- fixed existing cmdlines.txt became corrupted

- minor bugfixes

I just noticed that -cfg: only accepts a full path for the file. I kept wondering why my settings never showed in the GUI. I use a shortcut for the GUI and my ini file is included in the target directory. If I only specify the filename in the shortcut parameters, WinNTSetup ignores the ini, so I had to specify the full path. V2 previously allowed only the filename. Just a heads up in case someone is having the same problem.

Edited by click-click