WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Hi, JFX,

Is there any way to configure PPPoE connection in WinNTSetup sysprep. Because Windows 10 is looking for internet connection to finish setup. And without internet computer starts restart cycling.

Or any other solution for solving this problem.

Regards

P.S. I found teporary answer - Shipt+F10->inetcpl.cpl-> tab Connections->Setup button (setup Internet connection). But this isn't so elegant :)

Belivakov,

just to make sure I have understood correctly your post, are you meaning that if someone downloads the Windows 10 .iso and burns it to a DVD or makes a USB stick bootable out of it, and then wants to install it to a PC in a location where there is no Internet connection )or when the connection is temporarily down) it won't install? :unsure:

jaclaz

Hi, jaclaz

Short - yes, without internet connection setup cannot finish installation.

I prepare Windows 10 with WinNTSetup v3.7.7 (with previous versions praparation finished with error. ( Sorry, I don't remember Nr. and text of error.)) preparation phase finished without error.
After restart in final of installation Setup shows network adapters (LAN, Wireless) and here begin cyclingSystem restarts and begin from Language setup->Network setup and again restart. Until I start inetcpl.cpl from console and setup PPPoE and connect to internet. Now everything goes fine.

Edited by belivakov

Dear JFX,

Thank you very much for the reply and your command-line tip. 

Though need select a WIM, this cmd lines through apply mount and preassigment together tweaks. It was just the way i wanted it 
Why am I want? Because I often doing customize on windows. Sometimes windows broken. :) Need replace from original registry files. Also sometimes another situtations need mount & preassigment.

Also thanks adding command lines to WNS. It's really versatile is tool.
God bless your hands.
Best regards...

@belivakov

it should be possible to do your PPPoE in unattend.xml.

@Lordk1

a very unusual error, is this really a clean install.wim?

Edited by JFX

@ JFX

it's a wim i've prepared with imagex ( a clean installation on VM, plus the updates till nov 2014 )

on all VM and real systems... works well

seems to be related to the process on deployment of winntsetup...

still investigate...

anyway thanks for your help

edit: also with the original MS disk.

now tryng with a new WinPE distro

Edited by Lordk1

I do not think that it's related to WinNTSetup. I guess more with the Ram available, managed, in Win8.1PE.
In Win8.1SE the "PE in Ram" build Type (Main configuration) is already a little better for Ram than the "OS in Ram".
For some PCs, 2Gb and below, it is good to keep next, Win8 or Win7pese, lighter.

@laddanator

Chris is right, you running out of RAM.

Win8.1 SE x64 will use ~ 1.7GB by it self already, so there not much left for any program.

I will increase pagefile size in next version,

but you should reconsider using a x86 windows for such an office pc.

X64 starts to makes sense if you have 4GB or more RAM.

I beg to differ :w00t::ph34r: to me it starts to make sense if you have 6 Gb or more of RAM, usually the "unused" 1/2 Gb between 3.5 and 4 Gb on 32 bit doesn't make any difference in practice, and if you need/want RAM you want MOAR:

moar.jpg

of it:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172854-win7x64-vs-win7x86pae-patch/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@laddanator

Chris is right, you running out of RAM.
Win8.1 SE x64 will use ~ 1.7GB by it self already, so there not much left for any program.

I will increase pagefile size in next version,
but you should reconsider using a x86 windows for such an office pc.

I beg to differ :w00t::ph34r: to me it starts to make sense if you have 6 Gb or more of RAM, usually the "unused" 1/2 Gb between 3.5 and 4 Gb on 32 bit doesn't make any difference in practice, and if you need/want RAM you want MOAR:

moar.jpg

of it:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172854-win7x64-vs-win7x86pae-patch/

jaclaz

The reason I'm using x64 bit is becasue I'm testing stuff for the crazy amount of UEFI Win 8 were getting at the shop now. x32 Bit doesn't support UEFI booting, unless I've missed something in the last two years? I've been out of the Windows world for awhile, as my Win7 PE has been great, but no longer boots under UEFI. This low ram machine is just a test machine, becasue it has UEFI Bios. Most machines we do at the shop are 4 gig plus.

Edited by laddanator

The reason I'm using x64 bit is becasue I'm testing stuff for the crazy amount of UEFI Win 8 were getting at the shop now. x32 Bit doesn't support UEFI booting, unless I've missed something in the last two years? I've been out of the Windows world for awhile, as my Win7 PE has been great, but no longer boots under UEFI. This low ram machine is just a test machine, becasue it has UEFI Bios. Most machines we do at the shop are 4 gig plus.

Yes and no.

Of course x32 in itself supports UEFI boot, the problem might be in the "matching" of the architecture with the OS bitness, but it can be worked around:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9b8b18b3-df53-4f00-a584-1b1617b57ea9/windows-7-32bit-uefi-installation?forum=w7itproinstall

for 7, not so much, I believe, with 8/8.1.

Mind you that this depends only partially on the OS, and quite a lot on the actual UEFI firmware implementation:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/olivnie/archive/2012/12/20/windows-8-uefi-support.aspx

So it might be needed to boot to CSM mode and "switch" to a third party UEFI, such as Clover:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/122

And of course there is the usual mish/mash of MBR vs. GPT, so each case is a bit different and may need one or another workaround, JFYI, with a trick or two it is possible to BIOS boot from a GPT disk without needing a hybrid MBR, and as well it is perfectly possible to UEFI boot from a MBR disk.

jaclaz

Yes and no.

Of course x32 in itself supports UEFI boot, the problem might be in the "matching" of the architecture with the OS bitness, but it can be worked around:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9b8b18b3-df53-4f00-a584-1b1617b57ea9/windows-7-32bit-uefi-installation?forum=w7itproinstall

for 7, not so much, I believe, with 8/8.1.

Mind you that this depends only partially on the OS, and quite a lot on the actual UEFI firmware implementation:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/olivnie/archive/2012/12/20/windows-8-uefi-support.aspx

So it might be needed to boot to CSM mode and "switch" to a third party UEFI, such as Clover:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/122

And of course there is the usual mish/mash of MBR vs. GPT, so each case is a bit different and may need one or another workaround, JFYI, with a trick or two it is possible to BIOS boot from a GPT disk without needing a hybrid MBR, and as well it is perfectly possible to UEFI boot from a MBR disk.

jaclaz

Thanks for the info and links. UEFI has made things a bit tricky, but there is always a work around. My x64 Win8 seems to be working great on the machines with 4 gig or more of ram so far. Still working some bugs out. I need to find some info on how to to load either 8 or 8.1 from the same USB stick using GRUB2, if that's even possible? I hate having to have multiple sticks for things. For years, thanks to grub4dos, I've had all my boot stuff, and all version on Windows to load from one USB drive. It's been nice!