HP compaq dc5000mt ignores my memory stick.

sgbotsford

I think I followed the instructions.

This box has the ability to boot off a USB, at least in the bios, and on selecting F9 during start up. But at this point it seems to ignore my memory stick.

I used an WinXP NTFS formatted 1 G memory stick.

Since there is no sign of it attempting to boot, my suspicion is that I don't have proper boot code on it. OR this elderly HP doesn't really support booting off a memory stick.

Is there a troubleshooting guide.

Which instructions? Here are several, in this subforum, there are thousands, on internet...

Which means? Provide details, "WinXP NTFS formatted" does not reveal any usable details, apart from the clues that you formatted under XP and used NTFS. There are external tools for formatting USB sticks, they have names and options.

There is built-in partitioning/formatting tools in XP, they do not work for making bootable UFD, unless it's seen as a fixed disk and you did set an active partition.

Which instructions? Here are several, in this subforum, there are thousands, on internet...

Which means? Provide details, "WinXP NTFS formatted" does not reveal any usable details, apart from the clues that you formatted under XP and used NTFS. There are external tools for formatting USB sticks, they have names and options.

There is built-in partitioning/formatting tools in XP, they do not work for making bootable UFD, unless it's seen as a fixed disk and you did set an active partition.

Sorry. New area for me so I'm not sure what information is relevant.

Instructions: Followed the first sticky set in this forum.

First attempt:

Formatting:

In Device manager on XP I set the USB thumb drive to be optimized for speed, instead of safe removal.

In My computer Thumb Drive, Right click, Format, I selected Format NTFS. I didn't select either quick format or enable compression.

In MB I skipped formating, and did a very plain using an nlite source directory.

Attempt 2

This time I used the HP formatting tool built into MD. This time on boot, it said, 'booting from USB' Read error Cntl-Alt-Del to restart.

Attempt 3

toggled USB-stick to USB-harddrive.

Same result as #2

Does MD scribble a log file somewhere?

DId you use these options?

We're talking about different prep software.

I have been using USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd distributed as USB_MultiBoot_10.zip

The document I've been using as a source for instructions is the bottom most sticky on the list.

Possibly merit in having a sticky that says "Read me First" and then outlines the current state of the art, a brief description of the various tools.

You don't pay a fee to post links. ;)

When giving a reference Post a Link, so that noone has to guess WHAT the heck you have been following.

This is the topmost sticky in the Forum (currently):

This is the bottommost sticky in the Forum (currently):

This is the USB_multiboot.cmd thread:

that you are NOT allowed to abbreviate to "MD" or "MB", it is called USB_multiboot.cmd (since you have your new fingers, you have to train them ,and a little exercise in typing FULL names will do them good ;))

I won't risk finding within the latter thread the "bottom most sticky on the list" :w00t:

WHATEVER have you attempted, forget it. (temporarily).

Just get RMPREPUSB here:

http://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb/

http://reboot.pro/7739/

(or from within the WinSetupFromUSB with GUI):

and run it as Kelsenellenelvian showed you (if you behave, we will arrange to allow you abbreviating it to Kel :whistle:)

jaclaz