How are some post-SP3 ISO's so much smaller than others?

waqqas31

Browsing P2P sites has shown me ISO's smaller than 500MB, completely up-to-date (January 2011). I've also found ISO's around 600MB that were up-to-date yet not stripped down in any way.

When I tried updating my own disc using nlite and OnePiece's update pack, my ISO was much larger, closer to 800MB.

Can anyone shed some light on how to make the ISO's smaller?

Thanks in advance,

Waqqas

Asian languages could been removed (yes i know you wrote untouched), they take space

also all folders except i386 removed (which ordinary user won't notice unless browsing CD) remove about 90MB

I've made for myself also XP SP3 + all updates till 2011 untouched, and its also ~600 MB maybe little less

so its not something mystical :P

Edited by vinifera

Fancy freeing up approximately 185 MB of space by deleting un-needed folders?

Folders considered safe to delete in your Windows Setup Source are:

DOCS, VALUEADD, and SUPPORT. This will free up 22.3 MB or so.

Let's go in further by navigating to the I386 directory with your Windows Setup Source. If you don't plan to use this CD to upgrade from a previous OS, you can delete the following folders:

WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG. This will free up 37.6 MB

If you have a localized language version of Windows in your own language, then you can also delete:

LANG. This will free up approximately 99 MB (This may vary)

As of Windows XP SP2, an extra folder known as cmpnents is added, with Tablet PC and .NET Framework 1.0 components which is also considered safe to delete cmpnents. This will free up 25.2 MB

My Bare sp3 disk size without updates? = 376 megs!

After onepiece?

585megs

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Thanks for the feedback! I will explore those options.

Although, I could have sworn that those downloads I was alluding to were smaller AND installed in normal time. Adding the OnePiece to my disc causes a considerable delay at the 23-minute mark.

Not delving into "warez", but there's a minor correction (AFAIK).

As of Windows XP SP2, an extra folder known as cmpnents is added, with Tablet PC and .NET Framework 1.0 components which is also considered safe to delete cmpnents.
Kind of... The "folder" mystically appears when slipstreaming pre-SP2 XP Professional since it (apparently) doesn't understand that it's not Media Center Edition (the second cd contains this folder). Retail non-MCE SP2 (and up) don't contain this folder at all. It's useless unless you have a version of MCE. And fair warning - if you have a version of MCE, better not "slipstream" SP3; it'll "undo" some components that aren't included in Retail non-MCE SP3 (e.g. Media Player 10). It's only useable on a running MCE. Nonetheless, safe to delete (MCE is a different "beast").

(had to respond just to clarify...)