IE8 Install Questions

BleedingEdge

Hi guys!

Happy new year to you all. I'm currently going through my annual "let's get all the updates together on a disk for installing" procedure.

I have a couple of questions about installing Internet Explorer 8 and updates. Please forgive the 'bullet pointed-ness' of the questions - it seems the easiest way of asking them.

1) Is the version downloaded in the IEAK (8.0.6001.18702) the 'base' version with no updates? Or are the various updates and hotfixes integrated in this install?

2) Do you HAVE to restart after installing IE8 before installing any of the updates? Or can I chain IE8 with the updates in a batch file?

3) Following on from that, what are the switches for passive installation and no restart of both IE8 (IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe) and the various updates (IE8-WindowsXP-KBxxxxxxx-x86-ENU.exe)?

Many thanks!

Martin

Why don't you let nLite handle all that? You can have a fully up to date XP (including IE8) by using nLite and the updates listed on my page (link in signature).

Edited by -X-

Thanks for that link! Fantastic resource.

I am nLite-ing my installs. The reason I don't want IE8 (or any of the dotNet / DirectX updates etc.) actually part of the Windows install is a) because they are subject to update quite frequently, and it's easier to edit a batch file than rebuild a whole OS install, and b ) I work in the music business, and several machines I have a totally stripped bare with nothing added aside from what is absolutely necessary. On these machines, I tend not to install IE updates.

Cheers!

Martin

Edited by BleedingEdge

Sorry, since you are using it in a business environment, I can't help you any further. nLite is for personal, non-commercial use only.