Intel Sandy Bridge v Intel Gulftown

Bad boy Warrior

What would be a better product/option to develop software:

A) Intel Sandy Bridge (Core i7-2***) 4 cores, 8MB L3 cache

B) Intel Gulftown (Core i7-980X Extreme Edition) 6 cores 12MB L3 cache

Of course one has been released this month (A) but im wondering if its just marketing that confuses my decision on what i should pick and what benefits i may get over one than the other? As i say its mainly for software development using x64 bit at the same time i dont want to spend so much that in 2 montsh teh product is half in price.

Thanks

Edited by Tripredacus
disabled emoticons

What would be a better product/option to develop software

It somewhat depends what you're going to be using. I don't need anything anywhere near that fancy to develop in C#.

A) Intel Sandy Bridge (Core i7-2***) 4 cores, 8MB L3 cache

B) Intel Gulftown (Core i7-980X Extreme Edition) 6 cores 12MB L3 cache

The i7 980x, assuming that your tools can make use of all 6 cores efficiently, and only when it's actively using all 6, then it will probably be 10% faster (barely noticeable), but for like $700 more than a i7 2600k. For anything that doesn't make use of a large number of cores (mostly everything) then the i7 2600k will run faster due to its faster single threaded perf (by around 30%) despite being LOTS cheaper. And the 980X uses a socket that's going to be replaced very soon (by 1356 or 2011), whereas the i7 2600k is already using one of the new sockets (1155). 1366 boards tend to be pricier too. So that's got to be one of the easiest choices to make ever...

Get the i7 2600K!!!

Way, way better for pretty much everything unless your into more than two graphics cards or overclocking on LN2.

The i7 2600K is so easy to overclock on air, reaching 4.4GHz+ is not very hard at all with a half decent air cooler. At 4.4GHz it should smash the 980x at it's stock speed. And as CoffeeFiend said, even with the 2600K at stock speeds it will be pretty close :)

Get the i7 2600K!!!

Way, way better for pretty much everything unless your into more than two graphics cards or overclocking on LN2.

The i7 2600K is so easy to overclock on air, reaching 4.4GHz+ is not very hard at all with a half decent air cooler. At 4.4GHz it should smash the 980x at it's stock speed. And as CoffeeFiend said, even with the 2600K at stock speeds it will be pretty close :)

Well all Sandy Bridge have been stopped and a recall is coming for who ever got one. they have a chipset design flaw.

Get the i7 2600K!!!

Well all Sandy Bridge have been stopped and a recall is coming for who ever got one. they have a chipset design flaw.

I was very close to placing this order this week....... ill wait. Thanks for advising.