Windows 98SE Icons

Zenskas

Can anyone get me the main few original icons from Win 98SE? The my computer icon, recycling bin (emply/full), and the standard folder icon all of the normal icon size of 32x32 or better?

Would be much appreciated if you could upload these for me somewhere as I have no windows 98 box around to get them from :D

Reason is I need to use them to complete the software side of a PC mod I am doing.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Here is a screenshot that shows the exact icons I need:

http://www.isaserver.org/img/upl/vpnkitbeta2/98vpnclient/fig16.jpg

EDIT: Really I would just like the shell32.dll file from the system folder, that would prob be easier :D

I can't find the old icons in the windows 7 shell32.dll :(

But I need them for something so yeah figured if I could get the shell32.dll from 98 then it would have all the old icons I needed.

@dencorso, Is that a windows update? How can I get the icons outta that exactly when I'm running windows 7 and the update is meant for 98 I assume? Or is that not possible?

"Resource Hacker"... (a legitimate and widely used file resource editor)

So how can I get the windows 98 icons by using that exactly?

All I would really love is for someone to upload their shell32.dll file from a windows 98 box....

Get KB313829. :whistle:

YOUR ANSWER IS HERE.

Extract this hotfix with winrar or 7zip and the dll's inside have your icons!

Ah right. When I double clicked it, it came up with some error message. Perhaps dencorso should have let me know I had to extract it? Would have been a bit easier ;)

OK extracted it but none of those .dll files contain the original "my computer" icon. I have the recycling bin and the folder icons along with networking and a bunch more but none that look like this:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/tipsandtricks/windows-98/my-computer.gif

Any ideas?

Edited by Zenskas

OK, you want a whole SET of Icons that MIGHT be scattered throughout the system.

That particular Icon is within EXPLORER.EXE. Easily found in multiple versions of Win9x and/or IE4/5/6. (EDIT - also within several MS Update packages, links provided on MSFN - go look...)

Please do NOT ask for "uploads". You want, go Google. We don't upload proprietary software here.

Maybe you'd better do a Google search on any particular Icon Name that you want to find out which module it's in before asking for it. All we'll do is point you to a legitimate link, and even at that you're asking US to do the legwork for YOU!

Edited by submix8c

OK, you want a whole SET of Icons that MIGHT be scattered throughout the system.

That particular Icon is within EXPLORER.EXE. Easily found in multiple versions of Win9x and/or IE4/5/6. (EDIT - also within several MS Update packages, links provided on MSFN - go look...)

Please do NOT ask for "uploads". You want, go Google. We don't upload proprietary software here.

Maybe you'd better do a Google search on any particular Icon Name that you want to find out which module it's in before asking for it. All we'll do is point you to a legitimate link, and even at that you're asking US to do the legwork for YOU!

I knew SOMEONE would go give me the Google lecture. I have tried that, and I am no Windows 98 expert so my vain attempts at typing in things like "windows 98 icons" and "windows 98 icon files" etc etc failed.

I am not asking you to upload proprietary software. Or at least last time I looked, an icon file is merely an image so that is all I want. I actually found the old recycling bin icons already on windows 7 in shell32.dll but not the folder icons. The update above gave me those, now I am simply asking for the "my computer" icon.

If it is posted here then maybe next time someone Google's "windows 98 icons" it will bring them to this thread where they can see them, and then they may even sign up to MSFN. Google is often the answer but sometimes it is not I'm afraid ;)

Now I know to google for "windows 98 explorer.exe", you see I learnt something that not even Google could tell me but it was something that could be easily told to someone on a forum.

EDIT: And I don't consider the three (well four if you count the recycling bin "full" icon) a whole SET of icons, and I doubt they would all be SCATTERED throughout the system. They are the first three icons you see on the desktop straight after a format!!!

Edited by Zenskas

Uhhh, DUDE! Didn't I tell you EXPLORER.EXE? GET it and LOOK INSIDE... They are there!

Links provided on MSFN - go look... (in the Win9x section STICKIES!)

(SHEESH!!!)

Read my edit and last line before the edit that I forgot to put in before I posted. I was not to know you would be here refreshing the page as I made my post ;)

SHEESH!!!

Next time I will look elsewhere, I'm sure there have been far stupider questions asked by people on this forum, yet guaranteed they got nice replies...sorry I didn't know previously where the my computer icon was located! Hence why I asked AFTER I did a google search for a bit.

Also it does not seem logical to me that I have to use what little internet quote I have left to download update packages and go through loops in those IE links only to be told "file not found" or get 404's just cause I'm looking for one TINY icon file. The 98 updates aren't exactly up to date any more. But hey, I'm supposed to be learning something here right???

EDIT: Found an update with explorer.exe but the only icons in it are the more modern ones seen in windows 2000 I believe...will keep looking through the massive list off updates then and download some more 20mb+ packs for one little file...

Edited by Zenskas

Just to let you know...

1 - You didn't even bother to look in Explorer before you posted (and then edited).

2 - Yes, "far stupider", but persistent stupidity yields somewhat "persnickety" responses.

3 - If you'd have looked in the Stickies, there's one that points to another topic giving a whole slew of Stickies, one of which contains a list of every known "fix" for 9x systems (including one that references Icons).

4 - If you want to understand 9x you should have installed and maintained a 9x system previously (have you?).

5 - Common knowledge that the Desktop is "controlled" by Explorer (at least I thought it was).

And last...

6 - I will apologize for being "persnickety" provided you do more research before insisting someone else do your legwork.

(I just KNOW a Moderator is going to spank me sooner or later...)

edit - And...

7 - I note that you've Double-Posted!

Here's your Sticky. (ref. Hotfixes, Patches + Updates)

edit #2 - Private message sent to clarify... let's not beat the dead horse, as it were. Spank Me Not - unnecessary...

Edited by submix8c

Just to let you know...

1 - You didn't even bother to look in Explorer before you posted (and then edited).

2 - Yes, "far stupider", but persistent stupidity yields somewhat "persnickety" responses.

3 - If you'd have looked in the Stickies, there's one that points to another topic giving a whole slew of Stickies, one of which contains a list of every known "fix" for 9x systems (including one that references Icons).

4 - If you want to understand 9x you should have installed and maintained a 9x system previously (have you?).

5 - Common knowledge that the Desktop is "controlled" by Explorer (at least I thought it was).

And last...

6 - I will apologize for being "persnickety" provided you do more research before insisting someone else do your legwork.

(I just KNOW a Moderator is going to spank me sooner or later...)

edit - And...

7 - I note that you've Double-Posted!

1. Because I didn't know the icon would be there, I assumed it would be in shell32.dll like all the rest where.

2. I wouldn't exactly call my question stupid anyway.

3. The stickies go on for ages, and often lead me to now non-existent sites or loop me through a bunch of sites which is again, only wasting the very little quota I have.

4. I have used 98 many years ago, but asking for icon files isn't exactly what I call "wanting to understand 9x" is it?

5. So, it's controller by explorer.exe of course, but I had no idea some of the icons were in that file. Again, I though shell32.dll held all of the main system icons.

6. I am not insisting you do ANYTHING. If it makes your life super dooper hard to let me know it's in a specific update that you clearly know of already then don't reply or waste time trying to teach me something by telling me to use up all my data quota looking through old and out of date websites/downloads.

7. I realized nobody really read that part of the forum so figured it would be better discussed over here instead. If a mod could kindly close that thread or re-direct it to here that would be appreciated.

And yes I am looking (or at least trying) through that sticky already, but my internet is very low and I have very little quota...again. Sorry I live in Australia where internet is a joke and a very expensive joke at that.

Edited by Zenskas