V-Buster Antivirus

artemus

Just an FYI.

I noticed the following posting at the FreeDOS site http://www.freedos.org/:

"Virus scan for DOS

2011-01-04 23:32 - The FreeDOS Project

It's great to see organizations providing support for DOS, especially anti-virus tools. V-BUSTER is small, but has all it's functions still working in DOS. Supports: normal system scan, memory scan, save a copy of your bootsector, tsrchk(on access file scanning). Available at http://vbuster.virtualave.net/"

The free version (under "Downloads") lists Windows 98 (requires .Net Framework 2).

I haven't had a chance to look at it (yet).

FWIW The download (vbust.zip) is 461K in size.

Edited by artemus

I have just downloaded, updated online and run a "quick" scan on system files (root / Windows /Program Files dir, boot sector, memory) just for fun... I recall using V-Buster along with McAfee products back in the late 80s, early 90s. This scan (on all files, not just executables) took cca 35 minutes :) A fast 32bit engine would be nice.

Found a worm and a few trojans, need to check these against AVG and Kaspersky on XP.

My experience is the same. Neither AVG nor Kaspersky found anything, not even suspicious sequences. I think V-Buster's heuristics scan is too strong and it cannot be loosened. But it will not delete suspicious files right away, so it is not a destructive program.

On a sidenote, I found that AVG reported a handful of "corrupted" Win98SE system files, most of them are from 98SSE2ME (Millenium). They are not infected, of course. But AVG recognised that these are not original Win98SE files so put them in quarantine :(