Unattended GPO settings

CelticWhisper

Hi all, long time no post.

I'm getting back into the unattended-setup game lately and I had a couple quick questions about configuring GPOs automatically.

First, as I'm unaware of any GPO/MMC scripting tools, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the only way to configure these is by directly editing the registry entries to which they correspond. If anyone knows of a way to automate GPO settings, do tell as I'd love to have the resource available to me.

Now, assuming I go and configure GPOs by registry edit, the question I have is as to whether those changes will be reflected in gpedit.msc if I load it after installation (assuming...I know, a lot of assumptions...I run the registry edits during cmdlines.txt execution).

For example, if I configure IE to point to our local proxy (IP 192.100.100.45) via a .reg file, if I then load gpedit.msc and go to User Config-->Windows Settings-->IE Maintenance-->Connection-->Proxy Settings, will the box be checked and the address/port/exclusion info boxes be populated or will it show as the blank default despite the registry settings being in effect? Also, if it doesn't show, what happens if I then have to go and change the settings? Does GPEdit overwrite the registry settings or will there be a conflict?

Aside from this question, is there a good, quick way to monitor the registry for policy-related changes so I can go through, apply the policy settings I want, and be told which registry keys were changed as a result of each one so I can create the requisite .reg files?

Thanks, you guys are awesome.

I think you're misunderstanding the goal of gpo: gpo are for computers/user set in an active directory domain. There isn't any use for gpo for standalone computer (i never saw a gaming computer in an enterprise).

Then the gpo apply often reg setting but not only.

The gpo are based on templates stored in c:\windows\inf and those gpo templates are *.adm files. If you open one of those files, you'll see what the gpo is doing (on the registry for example).

Now, assuming I go and configure GPOs by registry edit, the question I have is as to whether those changes will be reflected in gpedit.msc if I load it after installation (assuming...I know, a lot of assumptions...I run the registry edits during cmdlines.txt execution).

I believe no. gpedit will show things in their default state.

Aside from this question, is there a good, quick way to monitor the registry for policy-related changes so I can go through, apply the policy settings I want, and be told which registry keys were changed as a result of each one so I can create the requisite .reg files?

Regshot. http://www.mediafire.com/?ydizzpv5pz59cqu

Allen2 - I figured as much regarding the intent of GPOs but GPO (or maybe just PO? LocalPO?) settings do make a difference on what will and won't happen even on a standalone PC. Locking out control panel pages, mandating proxy settings, freezing wallpaper, etc. are all quick examples. I am looking at implementing a domain but for the time being I still use gpedit on individual systems to force certain configurations.

-X- - Thanks for the clarification. I'll definitely give Regshot a try and see what happens. Regarding the gpedit dialog boxes, do you know whether subsequent changes made via gpedit to settings initially configured by registry entries will cause conflicts? I imagine it wouldn't if it's a simple overwrite but I don't want to set myself up for headaches down the line.

Thanks to both of you for the info.