Scam from India

oldcelt

These scams are getting cleverer. Received a phone call this morning claiming to be from Microsoft Support responding to an error report sent from my computer (sic). As I run a LAN with 5 pcs this was a bit vague and I was immediately suspicious. The caller went on to say that several reports had been received in the last week which was enough for me to know it was a scam, especially when he said the most recent was this morning. Since I was having a day off, the office was still locked with not a single pc running. Also, last week I'd been ill and, again, no pcs had been running.

He wanted to direct me to a web site and run a program to 'help him diagnose my problem'! I asked him if this was a MS free service - he had to admit there would be a charge but wouldn't tell me how much. By this time I was sick of the joke and told him to p*** off.

Why can't MS with all their power do something to stop these scams, especially as there is a web site claiming to be one of theirs?

Received a phone call this morning claiming to be from Microsoft Support responding to an error report sent from my computer (sic).

especially when he said the most recent was this morning. ...

Or maybe a legitimate MS support technician dialed the wrong number? :unsure::whistle:

;)

jaclaz

Why can't MS with all their power do something to stop these scams, especially as there is a web site claiming to be one of theirs?

It would be a daunting task for anyone to accomplish what you ask. Even finding these types of websites may be all but impossible, seeing how a lot of the scam sites (like the fake paypal sites) do not even show up in search results.

Anyways, the only reason why Microsoft would have your phone number is if you enrolled into that quality feedback program thing (I forget the name) that Windows may prompt you about after installation.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...