690G/ SB600 AHCI driver slipstreaming issue

AlfaRomeo865

Hi all. I hope i put in a descriptive title there.lol

So I can't decide which of the following 3 should this thread go into, so I'm posting it here...

1. Software, Hardware, Media and Games - Software Hangout

2. Unattended Windows Discussion & Support - Device Drivers

3. Microsoft Software Products - Windows XP

:w00t:

Ok I'm not flaming but after reading through, you will understand that either of microsoft or AMD has to be blamed for the following.

I read about the reduced wear'n'tear + power consumption (and possible speed increases) that AHCI offers, was excited and started to learn how to integrate AHCI drivers into a winXP setup. After a number of hurdles, i managed to get the device IDs, Dosnet.inf and Txtsetup.inf stuff fixed. The windows would install smoothly until after the setup completion and at the initial boot. It would just BSOD with a stop 0x0000007b error despite everything i could do to fix this boot issue. I even tried changing the SATA drive's port while switching to and from a 'standard' IDE non-ahci port, turning computer on & off while rebooting; also tried fixing the ARC bootloader setting from multi(0) to scsi(0) etc and no luck.

Meanwhile also tried bootlogging & safe modes but couldn't find an ntbtlog... Though after close examination of every text file in the installed folders, i came to know about Bootact and Bootsetup logfiles which showed that during GUI mode setup, windows couldn't copy the AHCI drivers and forces the controller as null device.

I have even tried using all the possible Device and subSystem IDs and forced them into Txtsetup.inf as well as ahcix86.inf but to no avail. I'm using the nLite's method to put them in NLDRV/001 folder under i386. I guess I have read too much on this topic and tried almost everything (i say almost, since someone *might* be able to help)

A purely nLited method did not work for a couple of times - so nLite is no-no. RAID slipstreamer fails to execute - I have multiple boot XPs - clean, fully loaded with softwares, tools, etc...have tried adding the EXE to date execution protection list etc etc

Either microsoft has it wrong somewhere (because customer is always right :P) or the AMD's hardware (sb600) or its drivers are at fault somewhere.

I'm at the verge of jumping to a bad conclusion now that i have invested so many days on getting ahci to work. Any further help is greatly appreciated!

You can download the Mass Storage Driver Pack from http://forum.driverpacks.net/ and integrate it into your XP CD using the Driver Packs Base program: DPs_BASE_10111b29.exe (found in the same forun). The Mass Storage Driver Pack has the latest AHCI drivers and will provide the drivers needed during the installation routine.

Driver Packs and the Base are compatible with nLite.

Hi. This didn't work as well. I guess the driver is just not well-written for XP... I tried a stock win7 install with AHCI and it's working fine. I might just record the relevant registry entries and try it out once again with XP sometime later :yes:

tyvm! ;)

Hi. I could not find any rogue spear driver... however, there's a popular download on that site that is probably supposed to slipstream/enhance the windows setup so the user could get a lot of goodies installed when they can start using XP (after setup) and I'm not interested in changing anything in the default XP setup except for AHCI support.

I'm currently going to use Slackware and Win7 which support the AHCI on my motherboard out of the box. I thank everyone for their inputs :yes: Cheers