Increasing success rate from about 95% to nearly 100%

Cosmin3

Thank you for this wonderful program.

I have tested it with my USB HDD on many computers. On about 5% of them it shows error from the beginning or it shows strange errors when selecting entries from the menu.

5% is not much, of course, but I wanna help lowering it...

With which program I should collect informations about those computers?

And what should I do with those informations: shows them here or on grub4dos forum...?

Thank you.

Last time was something "...grldr is missing..." and then something about MBR and a countdown...

Those are actual grub4dos errors (white text on black background).

The grldr is missing means that - for any reason - the MBR (+hidden sectors) code invoking grldr cannot find it in ANY available drive.

There may be several reasons for this, most probably a problematic BIOS that enumerates "strangely" the drives (including the USB connected ones).

The countdown and "something about MBR" is normal given the "main" error above, grub4dos, since it cannot find it's grldr file, tries to boot "previous MBR" i.e. the "normal" MBR that is usually saved to 2nd sector (and that points to the Active partition bootsector).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The grldr is missing means that - for any reason - the MBR (+hidden sectors) code invoking grldr cannot find it in ANY available drive.

THere may be several reasons for this, most probably a problematic BIOS that enumerates "strangely" the drives (including the USB connected ones).

I agree but such Bios's aren't so rare so maybe something can be done in grub4dos...

I agree but such Bios's aren't so rare so maybe something can be done in grub4dos...

Sure, but you see if we don't have:

1. a list of BIOSes that behave "strangely"
  2. an EXACT description of the errors and HOW/WHEN they happen
  3. a way to reproduce the errors (or a lab rat - you - with that specific hardware)

We will have NO WAY whatsoever to understand the CAUSE of the problem and hopefully :unsure: FIX it :yes: (the cause).

JFYI, Standard Litany:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

As an example - UNrelated to the errors you vaguely report - we have now evidence that on some ACER PC's there is a problem with Grub4dos MBR:

http://reboot.pro/10503/page__st__3

And a - still experimental - patch to cover these cases has been issued (and will hopefully be integrated soon in the "offical" releases of grub4dos).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I see you're kind of upset so I'll try to say something:

I didn't say "FIX IT!", I said "MAYBE". It's a difference

I know I didn't properly reported, I didn't say I did, I said next time it will happen I will do it properly. I mentioned that "vague report" in the hope that it will help. Sorry if it didn't.

And I know it's not easy but I'm here to help in the best way I can. If you say I don't do it well, then I'll stop.

In my first post I asked about what program should I use to get informations about that computer, to help you guys understand what the problem is.

If this doesn't help, sorry.

I see you're kind of upset so I'll try to say something:

Naah, not upset in the least. :)

And I know it's not easy but I'm here to help in the best way I can. If you say I don't do it well, then I'll stop.

Yep :) - so am I - otherwise we won't be talking to each other. ;)

In my first post I asked about what program should I use to get informations about that computer, to help you guys understand what the problem is.

If this doesn't help, sorry.

Asking about a program that doesn't exist (AFAIK) doesn't actually help, no. :no:

If you re-read the thread, you asked about a "diagnostic" program of some kind.

Ilko_t - without explicitly telling you that:

• such a program doesn't exist
  • or that if it exists it won't probably help as there are a number of concurrent possible causes to a failed boot

answered you asking for some details, same thing I asked.

What I added is simply that from your "vague" recalls I can pinpoint nonetheless the actual grub4dos error, but that nonetheless EXACT DETAILS are needed to hopefully solve the problem. (and I split the topic to give it more chances of being seen - allowing other members to post their experiences with these nasty 5% - and possibly also keeping it more focused than the "general" thread would have been)

So, current situation is:

1. you are willing to help :thumbup
  2. I am willing to help :yes:
  3. Ilko_t is willing to help :)

Now, we are a three members team, in which member #2 and number #3 CANNOT do anything until member #1 posts some EXACT DETAILS on the problem.

Noone is upset, but all three are currenty "idle".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@Cosmin3

Increasing success from 95% to 100% is a simple as a Perpetuum Mobile.

Increasing success from 95% below 100% require detailed information.

Name computer model (read the labels outside), motherboard and BIOS.

Which USB HDD do you use?

Different size may get different results.

@Cosmin3

Increasing success from 95% to 100% is a simple as a Perpetuum Mobile.

Increasing success from 95% below 100% require detailed information.

Name computer model (read the labels outside), motherboard and BIOS.

Which USB HDD do you use?

Different size may get different results.

I didn't named the topic. And I know that you could never reach 100% (common sense), but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to raise the percentage.

The computer isn't mine. I called the guy who has it but he didn't answer the phone. When he will answer I will enter on his computer with TeamViewer and get the data.

My USB Hdd is WD Elements Portable SE 500GB: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=470

I didn't named the topic. And I know that you could never reach 100% (common sense), but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to raise the percentage.

Sure, I did ;), and I do take the full responsability of subtracting your "about 5%" from 100% (perfection) and compute the range 95%÷100%

The computer isn't mine. I called the guy who has it but he didn't answer the phone. When he will answer I will enter on his computer with TeamViewer and get the data.

My USB Hdd is WD Elements Portable SE 500GB: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=470

If it's a single computer, than I wonder how you got the mentioned "about 5%", meaning as:

1/20=5%

or

10/200=5%

or

49/1000=4.90% or "about 5%"

(just trying to establish a range for the "many" computer you tested) :)

I just renamed the thread from:

Increasing success from 95% to 100%

to:

Increasing success rate from about 95% to nearly 100%

I hope this will be agreed upon, so that we can workaround the semantics and move forward .... :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

If it's a single computer, than I wonder how you got the mentioned "about 5%", meaning as:

1/20=5%

or

10/200=5%

or

49/1000=4.90% or "about 5%"

(just trying to establish a range for the "many" computer you tested) :)

I didn't say it is the only computer I said it is the last computer where it didn't work.

I tested on more than 100 computers and it didn't work on about 7 or 8 (I don't remember the exact numbers)...

@Cosmin3

Thank you for trying to help and contribute. All we are eager to see some detailed report and continue from there :)

As you can see from the replies, the usual helpers tend to go a bit off topic as they are somehow idle and it's down to you to switch us to a full speed mode :lol:

The computer isn't mine.
Nonetheless describe boot behaviour.

Make / let make pictures.

Which messages are displayed? Even a blinking cursor is a hint.

My USB Hdd is WD Elements Portable SE 500GB

That's greater 128GB.

Some BIOS does support 48 bit LBA internally, but dosn't support 48 bit LBA at USB boot.

Did you create one 500GB partiiton? Did you create several partiitons?

Are all installation files within first 128GB of hard disk?

BIOS Type AMI

BIOS Version V2.2

AGESA Version 2.8.17.0

How does this BIOS handle a USB hard disk?

Added:

A WD Elements Portable SE firmware set idle mode within seconds by default: platter stands still.

This could be another issue at some BIOS.

Try another USB boot hardware too.

Edited by cdob