Optimize specilized apps for SSD

madmanjohn

Been a while since i have been here but someone may know how already, at least thats what I am hoping. I am on a project to move all the hidden read write stuff to a separate drive, and so far all the stuff i have found online has not been succesful.

Those of you familiar with the win7 64 folder tree know exactly what i mean. here's whats up. The appdata folders located in various places hold a lot of pieces of drivers, adobe and sun stuff, and virtually everything but I am dealing with an app in particular that i need to move, and its an SSD killer cause ive killed 2 already cause of its large read write cycles. Luckily enough i have been able to warranty both of them without a lot of fuss.

Those of you that dj or use heavy media rendering apps will appriciate this. In virtual dj, when you load a file to play, it loads somewhere and becomes a proprietary file -- they say it loads to ram, but i cant prove that, and some say it loads to pagefile. Bottom line is this

The only thing i want on the ssd is the windows system folder, the essential program files and program files x86. I would like to move the admin and name folders, and all contained within, including all the hidden folders. I just want the SSD to run the computer. Everything else will move to a velociraptor listed as the D: drive. I already have a 3rd program files folder working wonderfully, and have moved everything else. but i want as little as possible on that ssd. the big ones are the appdata files , the temporary internet files, the downloaded program files, and the hidden folder windows downloads updates to.

According to what i have read, and ive been working on this all week, you can move a lot of the files, but upon reboot, it returns them back and essentially just makes shortcuts out of your new locations. There has to be a way to lock them there, and ive been fiddling with permissions all week and havent got them yet. Anyone that has a clue post it or pm me.

EDIT-- and i forgot - also the stored plugins folder for IE8 as well as anything related to IE. bottom line -- the only thing i want on that ssd is essential software only

Edited by madmanjohn

Been a while since i have been here but someone may know how already, at least thats what I am hoping. I am on a project to move all the hidden read write stuff to a separate drive, and so far all the stuff i have found online has not been succesful.

Those of you familiar with the win7 64 folder tree know exactly what i mean. here's whats up. The appdata folders located in various places hold a lot of pieces of drivers, adobe and sun stuff, and virtually everything but I am dealing with an app in particular that i need to move, and its an SSD killer cause ive killed 2 already cause of its large read write cycles. Luckily enough i have been able to warranty both of them without a lot of fuss.

Those of you that dj or use heavy media rendering apps will appriciate this. In virtual dj, when you load a file to play, it loads somewhere and becomes a proprietary file -- they say it loads to ram, but i cant prove that, and some say it loads to pagefile. Bottom line is this

The only thing i want on the ssd is the windows system folder, the essential program files and program files x86. I would like to move the admin and name folders, and all contained within, including all the hidden folders. I just want the SSD to run the computer. Everything else will move to a velociraptor listed as the D: drive. I already have a 3rd program files folder working wonderfully, and have moved everything else. but i want as little as possible on that ssd. the big ones are the appdata files , the temporary internet files, the downloaded program files, and the hidden folder windows downloads updates to.

According to what i have read, and ive been working on this all week, you can move a lot of the files, but upon reboot, it returns them back and essentially just makes shortcuts out of your new locations. There has to be a way to lock them there, and ive been fiddling with permissions all week and havent got them yet. Anyone that has a clue post it or pm me.

EDIT-- and i forgot - also the stored plugins folder for IE8 as well as anything related to IE. bottom line -- the only thing i want on that ssd is essential software only

I just did a dual drive setup for my SSD and HDD with a little help from an article I read at an MS site:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/565f16a5-e5ed-43c9-8422-4f56aebb296e

It only moved the USERS and ProgramData folder, but you could configure any system folder you wanted I suppose. The article show how to do it from a fresh install, but other messages talk about doing it after you have installed windows on your SSD.

Hope this helps.

-=Mark=-

ps. I agree with TheWalrus on 2 SSD going bad would be extremely rare. I'd check for system stability issues more closely. Especially RAM as I've had RAM corrupt my hard drive before from RAM not configured properly.

Edited by MarkJohnson