Virus infection in Memory, How it is disinfect ?

Krish

Virus is badly infected Memory of Windows 98 SE

which anti-virus Clean this Memory virus ?

And After Cleaning the virus my win98 system can works fine ?

or system reinstalling ?

Edit :

Which software take Whole System Backup with installed Programmes like 'Acronis True Image Home' for windows 98, Which is most useful when system crashes from viruses or any other reasons.

Edited by Krish

Guest wsxedcrfv

Remove the hard drive from your windows-98 computer and connect the drive to another computer that has an anti-virus program and scan your windows-98 drive with that program. It's ok if the other computer is running XP or newer version of Windows.

If you can't do that, then start your computer in DOS mode (by pressing F8 when the system is booting and select "Command Prompt") and perform a systematic directory search in your C:\Windows directory for new files. Use the command "Dir /od" to get a listing by date. This is assuming the virus files have a recent date. Look for suspicious file names with recent dates and rename them. Look in as many directories as you can.

Or, start windows 98 in safe mode and click Start -> Run and type msconfig and select the Startup tab and remove the checkmark beside any suspicious program, then restart in normal mode. If the computer is functioning better, then go back to msconfig and look at the suspicious entries. Find the files associated with those entries and submit them to the website virustotal.com for testing.

which anti-virus Clean this Memory virus ?

And After Cleaning the virus my win98 system can works fine ?

or system reinstalling ?

I guess you'd want to boot some sort of "Live CD" and maybe run or install (probably to RAM disk) some sort of virus checker, so the nasty isn't active for the install or scan. However, the RAM disk created by the "Live CD" might be too small, depending on the particular anti-virus package. Of course, your choice in "Live CD" O/S will dictate which anti-virus packages are available for this.

One thing you may as well try, if the above isn't feasible, is the DR-Web DOS anti-virus package. Boot from floppy or CD with DOS, create a new directory on the hard-drive, extract the anti-virus there and run it. Make sure not to invoke ANY other stuff on the hard-drive, just to be safe.

If all else fails, you may as well try to install and run an anti-virus package with the system infected. Until now, Avast 4.8.1368.0 would be the choice package, but it's not available for download anymore, and who knows what you might be downloading from an untrusted site [ edit : actually, avast 4.8 professional edition is still available, you can trial it for 60 days, see http://www.avast.com/en-eu/download-software#tab3 ]. So my suggestion would be : http://www.bitdefender.com.au/PRODUCT-14-au--BitDefender-10-Free-Edition.html (a respectable anti-virus vendor, and this says it supports W98)

Joe.

Edited by jds

@ wsxedcrfv

@ jds

Thanks both of you for your valuable info.

Quick Heal Rescue bootable CD is the good solution

It performs auto scan & Remove virus in DOS mode

but after Using this Rescue CD my systems booting process fail. I have no solution for boot process fail.

I am not advanced user so please give me step by step information about Whole System Backup with installed Programmes like 'Acronis True Image Home' for windows 98, Which is most useful when system crashes from viruses or any other reasons.

Edited by Krish

Avast 4.8 can be downloaded if you enter the URL manually.

Can you give some clues here? I attempted to guess at this with the help of the Internet Archive, but my attempts were redirected into a download of Avast 5, which was not what was wanted. Now I'm wondering if the download link for the 4.8 Pro version might do likewise ...

Joe.