KernelEx for Win2000

Having a problem trying to install the new v2.2i kernel extension. It complains that atl.dll is in use...however, I can't terminate everything connected to it otherwise I get a BSoD. What's up?

In almost cases, you can installe it with terminate explorer.exe

and you can search using program with process explorer "Find handle or DLL"

But don't terminate winlogon and lsass.

you can terminate svchost with services manager.

Having a problem trying to install the new v2.2i kernel extension. It complains that atl.dll is in use...however, I can't terminate everything connected to it otherwise I get a BSoD. What's up?

Well, we have another slight problem. I did finally manage to get passed that atl.dll problem, only to be greeted with some more glad tidings on the next boot. I got a nice BSoD with the code 0x0000007B, Inaccessable_Boot_Device, had to log into the recovery console once more to remove the hotfix. Hope this new information comes in handy.

Can you test to replace ATL.DLL version to 3.5.2284.2 and 3.5.2284.3 ?

Well, we have another slight problem. I did finally manage to get passed that atl.dll problem, only to be greeted with some more glad tidings on the next boot. I got a nice BSoD with the code 0x0000007B, Inaccessable_Boot_Device, had to log into the recovery console once more to remove the hotfix. Hope this new information comes in handy.

If i use comctl32.dll ver(6.00.2900.6029), these programs croashes

SIGVERIF.EXE

starts and scan files ok, but when i click on advanced program crashes

sigverif works when comctl32 is 5.81 (2k)

CLICONFG.EXE

When try run cliconfg.exe app doesn't start only Error log is created

cliconcfg works if comctl32 is 5.81 (2k) & 5.82.**.**.6028, doesn't work with 6029

comctl32 is installed in %systemroot%\systemxp

You can copy from there to the folder which application uses comctl v6.0 like BitTorrent and notepad++ and IE6SP3.

Don't copy it into system32.

If i use comctl32.dll ver(6.00.2900.6029), these programs croashes

SIGVERIF.EXE

starts and scan files ok, but when i click on advanced program crashes

sigverif works when comctl32 is 5.81 (2k)

CLICONFG.EXE

When try run cliconfg.exe app doesn't start only Error log is created

cliconcfg works if comctl32 is 5.81 (2k) & 5.82.**.**.6028, doesn't work with 6029

Edited by blackwingcat

Hi,

What is MS12-095 issue ?

(Is it the future Microsoft Security Hole? http://technet.microsoft.com/ja-jp/security/bulletin/ms12-095 )

On Windows 2000 iso file can be mount by Microsoft VCD Driver.

Hi, Just coming out of windows 98 kernel ex and I have 1 machine that is a win2k server which I need to keep running for the for see able future. I have managed to install V1.5 for this machine but can't bring it up to V2.2 because of the MS12-095 issue. I understand there is an ISO that it can be extracted from but I can't seem to find it in the ISO. If someone would be so kind as to let me know what I need to do to finish the V2.2 upgrade it would be appreciated. THX!

Thanks! VCD driver did the trick... Now to retry installing v2.2!

I'm not sure if this relates to the kernel extension or not but it seems like launching any type of MSI via InstallShield wizard, I get a weird error such as 'The instruction at "0x7d2c1ec9" reference memory at "0x7d2c1ec9". The memory could not be "read". Is there a way to fix that error since most of them come up very similar to that?

hi blackwingcat. see the following picture below:

shell32-winxp-exfat-support_zps8e56f589.jpg

this is a WinXP version of the shell32.dll file with exFAT support if KB955704 or any subsequent shell32.dll update after that is installed [i viewed the contents of the DLL file in Notepad; hence "e x F A T" is highlighted].

can you try to add exFAT support into shell32.dll for your KernelEx project for Win2000?

I'm only guessing here, so don't crucify me - is it right to assume that if shell32.dll doesn't _know_ about other filesystem's, it will show the drives that have those filesystems as being unformatted? If that were the case, then addon programs like ext2fs driver and MacDrive would not be able to function. What I'm getting at here, is that perhaps we need some sort of filter driver to place in between the exfat driver and the OS. Not knowing the internals of how the exfat driver work,s I can only guess how it interfaces within XP, let alone 2000. I'm all for trying everything to get exFat working on win2k, since I'm starting to use and see exfat used more and more, and, hell, exFat is a great filesystem for larger volumes where NTFS isn't needed.

The only thing I can possibly figure out that would benefit from the cryptographic service is if we could figure out how to get IE7 functional. But maybe blackwingcat knows other reasons for having it.

Did you use exteneded kernel v22i3 or i4 ?

Can you tell me what module in 0x7d2c1ec9 ?

I'm not sure if this relates to the kernel extension or not but it seems like launching any type of MSI via InstallShield wizard, I get a weird error such as 'The instruction at "0x7d2c1ec9" reference memory at "0x7d2c1ec9". The memory could not be "read". Is there a way to fix that error since most of them come up very similar to that?

I don't have the latest updates installed. The latest I have as of now is v22g installed, however it's been an ongoing thing for a few of these packs now. It unfortunately doesn't say which module is in question. But this is what I get out of the event viewer.

Application popup: Setup.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7d2c1ec9" referenced memory at "0x7d2c1ec9". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I'm almost positive that this is an installshield MSI setup installer. However, a very similar thing happens when I try installing the Logitech (Logicool) webcam setup too. It's been going on for at least a month now. And maybe this might help as well but I tried installing Microsoft Security Essentials as well but I also get an error similar to that, but I didn't when I tested it on a Microsoft only updated system. Attempting to install it on this machine results in these errors in the event viewer.

Application popup: setup.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7d2de372" referenced memory at "0x7d2de372". The memory could not be "read".

*And*

Application popup: setup.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7d27cd05" referenced memory at "0x7d27cd05". The memory could not be "read".

Hopefully this information helps, and I will try and install the updated kernel extensions and see what happens.

Microsoft Security Essentials needs these functions:

NISSRV.EXE

InterlockedCompareExchange64

NISDRVWFP.SYS:

ExDeleteLookasideListEx

EtwRegister

EtwUnregister

ExInitializeLookasideListEx

WmiQueryTraceInformation

ZwOpenProcessTokenEx

IoQueryFileDosDeviceName

EtwWrite