KernelEx for Win2000

Hi eveyone. I'm new.

Great to discover this thread - I think Win2k Pro is a good & stable system. We have two p2p-networked PCs running it, and would like to stick with it for now. They are SP4 plus all the updates until MS stopped support. (We also have an ASUS notebook running the Win7 Starter package it came with - but that's another story.) We're not gamers, but we more & more encounter useful apps that specify XP & above - including a runtime MSOffice app we can presently only get up on the notebook. Encountering absent procedure calls is a real pain.

Thank you blackwingcat for your enthusiastic efforts, and for your willingness to respond so rapidly to the many update requests you get.

I'd like to download your Win2k Kernel extension, but would appreciate some help from somone.

I went to the blog, but the Japanese content is confusing, and I couldn't sort out anywhere I could download the latest revision (currently 15r2?) So is there an English download page that gets populated with the most recent version?

How do I get the EZ install files? I assume these are updated with the latest kernel version? But I may do it manually if I have instructions?

BWC notes the advisability to use a VM - but how may I do that on my Win2k system? I would have in mind to backup all my important data, and then give it a go. If there is a total crash, then I have to start again and re-install Win2k, update it to SP4, plus all my apps etc (although how I re-instate all the KB updates I'm not sure, now that MS have ceased support). It would all be a daunting task - hence my need for some guidance.

I am computer literate, slightly geeky (able to fiddle with the registry if necessary), but not an assembly-language boffin! Someone care to hit me with a recommended plan of action?

Thanks.

Hi,

The filename is "Windows2000-KB935839-v15r-x86-ENU.exe"

You can download from top link of this article.

You can also download from Windows Legacy Update (my download site)

Hi eveyone. I'm new.

Great to discover this thread - I think Win2k Pro is a good & stable system. We have two p2p-networked PCs running it, and would like to stick with it for now. They are SP4 plus all the updates until MS stopped support. (We also have an ASUS notebook running the Win7 Starter package it came with - but that's another story.) We're not gamers, but we more & more encounter useful apps that specify XP & above - including a runtime MSOffice app we can presently only get up on the notebook. Encountering absent procedure calls is a real pain.

Thank you blackwingcat for your enthusiastic efforts, and for your willingness to respond so rapidly to the many update requests you get.

I'd like to download your Win2k Kernel extension, but would appreciate some help from somone.

I went to the blog, but the Japanese content is confusing, and I couldn't sort out anywhere I could download the latest revision (currently 15r2?) So is there an English download page that gets populated with the most recent version?

How do I get the EZ install files? I assume these are updated with the latest kernel version? But I may do it manually if I have instructions?

BWC notes the advisability to use a VM - but how may I do that on my Win2k system? I would have in mind to backup all my important data, and then give it a go. If there is a total crash, then I have to start again and re-install Win2k, update it to SP4, plus all my apps etc (although how I re-instate all the KB updates I'm not sure, now that MS have ceased support). It would all be a daunting task - hence my need for some guidance.

I am computer literate, slightly geeky (able to fiddle with the registry if necessary), but not an assembly-language boffin! Someone care to hit me with a recommended plan of action?

Thanks.

@ BlackWingCat:

When Trying to open MSN Live Messenger(14.0) I get the following error:

"The procedure entry point GetLayeredWindowAttributes could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll"

Using v15b2 ENU version of your patch..

Thanks BlackWingCat,

I found the file and downloaded it.

Now, what will happen when I run the file?

Will it begin making changes right away?

What precautions can I take to be able to roll back if things don't work right?

Is this the EZ-install file?

I'd like to know more before I run the .exe file.

Thanks

Hi Blackwingcat,

if you have some spare time and if it is not difficult, could you make english version of your file

Windows2000-KB907265-v3-x86-JPN.exe ?

Thanks

Hi.

I created it .

Please try to test it.

(It requires IE6 and .net 2.0)

Hi Blackwingcat,

if you have some spare time and if it is not difficult, could you make english version of your file

Windows2000-KB907265-v3-x86-JPN.exe ?

Thanks

Please Try to set registry Shell Icon BPP to 32(require log off) .

I found the problem in shell32.dll KB2479628.

kernel1.png

Extended Kernel shell32(v7171)

4bit Icon/8bit Icon/32bit Icon

kernel2.png

KB2479628-v9a shell32(v7160)

4bit Icon/8bit Icon/32bit Icon

(It can't change icon)

BlackWingCat,

Your new shell32.dl breaks WildBill's 32-bit icon compatiblity :(

1. shell32.dll v7171 + WB's 2479628-v9a]:

GeQyH.png

2. your older shell32.dll 7680 + WB's 2479628-v9a:

9fBaC.png

Plese Try to set registry Shell Icon BPP to 32(require log off) .

Which registry entries do you mean exactly?

EDIT

I guess you mean this setting? I've just tried it and it works for the current user but if you create a new user account and log on then the value is still set to "16". I set it to "32" in both "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" and in "HKU\Control Panel\Desktop" but still no effect -_-

EDIT2

I got it work:

REG LOAD "HKU\CUSTOM" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\..\Default User\NTUSER.DAT"
REG ADD "HKU\CUSTOM\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics" /V "Shell Icon BPP" /D "32" /F
REG UNLOAD "HKU\CUSTOM"

Is the "Default User" folder same for all languages?

EDIT3

How about adding this to the update.inf?

[Save.Reg.For.Uninstall]
HKCU,"Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics","Shell Icon BPP"
HKU,"CUSTOM\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics","Shell Icon BPP"

[Product.Add.Reg]
HKCU,"Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics","Shell Icon BPP",,"32"
HKU,"CUSTOM\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics","Shell Icon BPP",,"32"

[ProcessesToRunBeforeArchive]
"%systemroot%\system32\reg.exe LOAD ""HKU\CUSTOM"" ""%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\..\Default User\NTUSER.DAT"""

[ProcessesToRun]
"%systemroot%\system32\reg.exe UNLOAD ""HKU\CUSTOM"""

[ProcessesToRunBeforeUninstall]
"%systemroot%\system32\reg.exe LOAD ""HKU\CUSTOM"" ""%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\..\Default User\NTUSER.DAT"""

[ProcessesToRunAfterUninstall]
"%systemroot%\system32\reg.exe UNLOAD ""HKU\CUSTOM"""

It seems to work fine. The Default User's registry is loaded before installation/uninstallation and unloaded after it finishes.

Edited by tomasz86

Hi Blackwingcat,

i,m an italian guy (old boy) still using the amazing w2kpro on a laptop (acer aspire 4320) and i'd like to know if exist an italian version of this superb project (Kernel Extension for Windows 2000)

Thanks in advance for your kindness and for your skillfulness and dedication to mantain alive this wonderful O.S.

Hi.

It is not difficult to create Italian version very much , but is is difficult to check running it on real environment.

If the version has any problem, it occurs BSoD and so on.

Hi Blackwingcat,

i,m an italian guy (old boy) still using the amazing w2kpro on a laptop (acer aspire 4320) and i'd like to know if exist an italian version of this superb project (Kernel Extension for Windows 2000)

Thanks in advance for your kindness and for your skillfulness and dedication to mantain alive this wonderful O.S.

Hi Blackwingcat,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

No problems with BSODs because i'm using my laptop just as a personal w2k "laboratory" :)

So, if you will create a italian version of the kernel i'll be honored to testing it on my machine (without any fear of BSODs beasts :D)

Thank again for your kindness and for all the tools that you've created for the W2K O.S.

Best regards

hackeronte