KernelEx for Win2000

Hey blackwingcat,

I've been looking into what APIs are required to get the latest IE cumulative updates for XP SP3 and 2003 SP2 to install, as well as IE7 and IE8.

IE 6:
ole32.dll CoRegisterInitializeSpy
CoRevokeInitializeSpy
shlwapi.dll SHCreateThreadRef
AssocGetPerceivedType

IE 7:
dbghelp.dll MiniDumpReadDumpStream
MiniDumpWriteDump
CoRevokeInitializeSpy
rpcrt4.dll RpcServerInqCallAttributesW
shell32.dll SHCreateShellItem
0x02D7 (ordinal)
0x02EB (ordinal)
shlwapi.dll AssocGetPerceivedType
IsCharSpaceA
user32.dll IsWinEventHookInstalled
wintrust.dll WTHelperCertCheckValidSignature

IE 8:
kernel32.dll IsProcessInJob
CoRevokeInitializeSpy
shell32.dll SHCreateShellItem
0x02D7 (ordinal)
0x02EB (ordinal)
shlwapi.dll AssocGetPerceivedType
IsCharSpaceA
user32.dll IsWinEventHookInstalled
wintrust.dll WTHelperCertCheckValidSignature

Other than those issues, IE 6 thru 8 SHOULD work without a hitch on 2000. The list of dependencies for both IE 7 and IE 8 have a lot of duplications, and 3 of the 4 requirements for IE 6 are propogated in both IE 7 and IE 8.

I hate to double-post, but I feel that this is important enough to warrant posting.

The updated advapi32.dll is breaking the device manager as it no longer includes WmiSetSingleInstanceW. Just looking through the file, you have a function called WmiSet8lngleInstanceAåYmiSetSingleISvtanceW located in it. If I had to hazard a guess, that's actually supposed to be two separate functions that wouldn't break the device manager, amongst other things.

@BlackWingCat

Would it be difficult to add "GetBestInterfaceEx" to iphlpapi.dll? It's required for BITS 2.5.

@the_guy

You're too optimistic about running IE6 SP3 / IE7 / IE8 files in Windows 2000 (even after fixing all the dependencies) :whistle:

Edited by tomasz86

@the_guy

You're too optimistic about running IE6 SP3 / IE7 / IE8 files in Windows 2000 (even after fixing all the dependencies) :whistle:

Perhaps I am; at the very least, IE6 SP3 should work without an issue. I can picture IE7/IE8 somehow breaking Windows 2000 if they were installed...

Perhaps I am; at the very least, IE6 SP3 should work without an issue. I can picture IE7/IE8 somehow breaking Windows 2000 if they were installed...

There are problems with system UI core files such as browseui.dll, shlwapi.dll, etc. You can fix their dependencies even now and try to replace the original 2K ones... but they won't work. I tried it and failed :/

What version did you use ?

I perhaps fixed 3days ago.

I hate to double-post, but I feel that this is important enough to warrant posting.

The updated advapi32.dll is breaking the device manager as it no longer includes WmiSetSingleInstanceW. Just looking through the file, you have a function called WmiSet8lngleInstanceAåYmiSetSingleISvtanceW located in it. If I had to hazard a guess, that's actually supposed to be two separate functions that wouldn't break the device manager, amongst other things.

This is with the latest version installed.

Also, tomaz, what sorts of issues crop up with those files?

I don't remember exactly but I'll try them once again and tell you what happened :)

Cool! You were saying that shlwapi.dll doesn't work properly, but that's more of a shell component now anyway, I think.

Plz check advapi32.dll version.

Is it 3/31 2:00(GMT) Version 5.0.2195.7047?

Plz check advapi32.dll version.

Is it 3/31 2:00(GMT) Version 5.0.2195.7047?

Same version number. I was able to fix the issue by opening the file up in a hex editor and fixing 5 bytes to properly identify the functions. I can tell you what offsets need patching to save you some time, if you'd like.

ZRkR1.png

It is JST(+9h)

It seems to be normal.

(v15p/p2 has same version number.)

Same version number. I was able to fix the issue by opening the file up in a hex editor and fixing 5 bytes to properly identify the functions. I can tell you what offsets need patching to save you some time, if you'd like.

Edited by blackwingcat

The Time stamp is old.

It seems to be v15p1 binary.

Please download again v15p3 with clearance Browser cache.

It doesn't show it, but that file is also build 7047. Is this perhaps an error with only the English version?

The Time stamp is old.

It seems to be v15p1 binary.

Please download again v15p3 with clearance Browser cache.

It doesn't show it, but that file is also build 7047. Is this perhaps an error with only the English version?

Thought I had the latest version installed already; that patch fixed the issue. Thanks!