KernelEx for Win2000

8 hours ago, SkyKuker said:

Since I use a real machine, I can use "dd" or "Disk2vhd" to create an image and then attach the link to the image to my message if I must share a virtual disk image with you.

Which method is more convenient for you?

Can you reproduce it on the VM environment ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Recently, I've been playing around with Windows 2000 and the extended kernel on an old ThinkPad I own, and it's been really nice! It's neat to see how much I can actually do with it. However, on newer versions of the extended kernel (from the win2k.org wlu update site), I noticed that it messes up the fonts after you install it. Arial and Times New Roman, in particular, look clean and nicely aligned before applying the extended kernel, but afterwards look like a complete mess and are far less readable. It's particularly easy to see in a text editor, like Wordpad, if you do a before and after comparison.

Is there any way to reverse the messed up fonts? I tried expanding and copying back over the original TTFs from the Win2K install medium, but that unfortunately didn't help any... I also tried looking for a settings panel to control the font rendering, but was unsuccessful, save for toggling the smooth fonts option in the Display Options (which didn't fix it, just made it blurrier).

19 hours ago, Mirage said:

Hello! Recently, I've been playing around with Windows 2000 and the extended kernel on an old ThinkPad I own, and it's been really nice! It's neat to see how much I can actually do with it. However, on newer versions of the extended kernel (from the win2k.org wlu update site), I noticed that it messes up the fonts after you install it. Arial and Times New Roman, in particular, look clean and nicely aligned before applying the extended kernel, but afterwards look like a complete mess and are far less readable. It's particularly easy to see in a text editor, like Wordpad, if you do a before and after comparison.

Is there any way to reverse the messed up fonts? I tried expanding and copying back over the original TTFs from the Win2K install medium, but that unfortunately didn't help any... I also tried looking for a settings panel to control the font rendering, but was unsuccessful, save for toggling the smooth fonts option in the Display Options (which didn't fix it, just made it blurrier).

Unfortunately, I don't use it usually, so I can not recognize oddly font style.

Can you show me comparable screenshot  before and after ? :3 

Hello Mirage,

You write as follows:

"Recently, I've been playing around with Windows 2000 and the extended kernel on an old ThinkPad I own, and it's been really nice!

However, on newer versions of the extended kernel (from the win2k.org wlu update site), I noticed that it messes up the fonts after you install it."

Please,can you specify which version of KEX does not have the
fonts problem and which newer versions do have the fonts problem ?
Does KEX v30fM have the problem ?

Edited by anton12

On 4/19/2023 at 8:54 PM, blackwingcat said:

Unfortunately, I don't use it usually, so I can not recognize oddly font style.

Can you show me comparable screenshot  before and after ? :3 

Sorry for the delay! Absolutely, I've attached before and after pictures to this post. The first picture is Windows 2000 before any extended kernels, the latter is after applying 3.1g2 . The top line of text is Arial, the bottom one is Times New Roman. I've not sure if the images will look compressed after uploading them here - if they are and both look fuzzy, then I'll trying uploading them to imgur or some other image hosting site. Wordpad's an easy place to see the fuzziness, but it's not exclusive to Wordpad - it shows up anywhere these fonts are used, such as in Internet Explorer or in application installers. as well.

1203758179_WIndows2KFontsCorrect.thumb.png.28ec62bc683b80a32b6c0a22d67f021e.png1225682476_Win2KFontsBad.thumb.png.07422dfb2234e81e7f47406ee58a3508.png

On 4/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, anton12 said:

Hello Mirage,

You write as follows:

"Recently, I've been playing around with Windows 2000 and the extended kernel on an old ThinkPad I own, and it's been really nice!

However, on newer versions of the extended kernel (from the win2k.org wlu update site), I noticed that it messes up the fonts after you install it."

Please,can you specify which version of KEX does not have the
fonts problem and which newer versions do have the fonts problem ?
Does KEX v30fM have the problem ?

Sure thing. The most recent version of the extended kernel is affected (g2). I know for sure that 3.0e isn't affected, since that was the first version I tried and didn't have any problems then. I gave 3.0f a try and it wasn't affected either, the fonts look the same before and after. Tomorrow, when I have more time, I'll sit down and see if I can pin down the exact extended kernel version where the problem first shows up.

On 4/23/2023 at 12:27 AM, Mirage said:

Sorry for the delay! Absolutely, I've attached before and after pictures to this post. The first picture is Windows 2000 before any extended kernels, the latter is after applying 3.1g2 . The top line of text is Arial, the bottom one is Times New Roman. I've not sure if the images will look compressed after uploading them here - if they are and both look fuzzy, then I'll trying uploading them to imgur or some other image hosting site. Wordpad's an easy place to see the fuzziness, but it's not exclusive to Wordpad - it shows up anywhere these fonts are used, such as in Internet Explorer or in application installers. as well.

1203758179_WIndows2KFontsCorrect.thumb.png.28ec62bc683b80a32b6c0a22d67f021e.png1225682476_Win2KFontsBad.thumb.png.07422dfb2234e81e7f47406ee58a3508.png

Sure thing. The most recent version of the extended kernel is affected (g2). I know for sure that 3.0e isn't affected, since that was the first version I tried and didn't have any problems then. I gave 3.0f a try and it wasn't affected either, the fonts look the same before and after. Tomorrow, when I have more time, I'll sit down and see if I can pin down the exact extended kernel version where the problem first shows up.

I found the problem comes from win32k.sys

5.0.2195.7603, 5.0.2195.7624, 5.0.2195.7636, 5.0.2195.7640

has same problem X3

Externded kernel v5.0.2195.7641 is based on 7640

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5174319/font-problems-in-vista-after-windows-update-kb3013455

Thanks to Blackwingcat's  KEX v3.1h !
The fonts problem seems to be solved.
Opera 12.18 with Accessibility Layout activated also has no more
fonts problem (though it was not a big thing).

PS:
I just discovered that SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0  won't work (start)
any more with KEX 3.1h
I returned back to KEX v3.0f and  SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0 works
perfectly again.

Edited by anton12

On 4/28/2023 at 11:58 AM, anton12 said:

I just discovered that SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0  won't work (start)

any more with KEX 3.1h
I returned back to KEX v3.0f and  SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0 works
perfectly again.

On my environment no problem.

Did you use default option in english version ?

Hello Blackwingcat,

The following setup options for  v3.0f and  v3.1h  are
activated  (all others off):

Disable Vista MUI
Disabled SSE2
NT5 Series
5.81 Series
StringEx funtions
ApplicationRecovery  funtions
ConditionVariable  funtions
InitOnce  funtions

With these setup options SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0  won't work (start)
with  v3.1h  but does so with  v3.0f

On 4/30/2023 at 12:42 PM, anton12 said:

Hello Blackwingcat,

The following setup options for  v3.0f and  v3.1h  are
activated  (all others off):

Disable Vista MUI
Disabled SSE2
NT5 Series
5.81 Series
StringEx funtions
ApplicationRecovery  funtions
ConditionVariable  funtions
InitOnce  funtions

With these setup options SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0  won't work (start)
with  v3.1h  but does so with  v3.0f

123.jpg
it work with me with the options i don't have idea in your selected chose effects.1234.jpg

Edited by windows2

Hello windows2,

Thanks for your answer.
Does SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0 work with v3.1h  for you when the
following setup options are modified for your KEX  v3.1h  installation ?

Disabled SSE2                      on (activated)
Game support version           off (deactivated)
Move WFP Folder                 off (deactivated)
NT5 Series                           on  (activated)
5.81 Series                           on  (activated)
ConditionVariable  funtions   on  (activated)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Blackwingcat,

You wrote regarding SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0  with KEX v3.1h

"On my environment no problem."

Can you give information of your  activated/deactivated  setup options
for  v3.1h with SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0 ?

Edited by anton12

On 5/7/2023 at 10:26 AM, anton12 said:

Hello Blackwingcat,

You wrote regarding SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0  with KEX v3.1h

"On my environment no problem."

Can you give information of your  activated/deactivated  setup options
for  v3.1h with SumatraPDF 3.1.2.0 ?

I tried same options as you but it works fine X3.

How about turn off (inactive) your security soft temporary ? 

@blackwingcat

I found out that kernel32.dll exkernel31 (in my case 5.0.2195.7281) is buggy with installing some programs when slipstreamed into w2k dvd. Adobe IX will refuse to install ( I use:

START/WAIT CMD /C CALL qfcwin.cmd msiexec.exe
msiexec.exe /passive /norestart /i AcroRead.msi
msiexec.exe /passive /norestart /p AdbeRdrUpd11023.msp

installation window will be seen as long as I want with no result - I have to stop it with taskmgr to proceed). Adobe Reader IX also cannot be installed afterwards with cmd/msiexec. If I use kernel32.dll  5.0.2195.7273, everything is fine and installation will proceed. Also, some VB runtime and update installations are affected.

Greetings Joe

11 hours ago, JosefReisinger said:

@blackwingcat

I found out that kernel32.dll exkernel31 (in my case 5.0.2195.7281) is buggy with installing some programs when slipstreamed into w2k dvd. Adobe IX will refuse to install ( I use:

START/WAIT CMD /C CALL qfcwin.cmd msiexec.exe
msiexec.exe /passive /norestart /i AcroRead.msi
msiexec.exe /passive /norestart /p AdbeRdrUpd11023.msp

installation window will be seen as long as I want with no result - I have to stop it with taskmgr to proceed). Adobe Reader IX also cannot be installed afterwards with cmd/msiexec. If I use kernel32.dll  5.0.2195.7273, everything is fine and installation will proceed. Also, some VB runtime and update installations are affected.

Greetings Joe

Is it rpcrt4.dll problem  ?

please try to copy system32 from  "gamever\rpcrt4.dll".