KernelEx for Win2000

On 11/22/2019 at 9:56 PM, JosefReisinger said:

@blackwingcat "Microsoft and the codepage": This is Windows 10 german with exact the same error like w2k, xp and win 7: with ttf font lucida console ">" is displayed "1>" ::-(

No error with ä ö ü any longer. 

funny.jpg.09784b8957098a71482b730145510489.jpg

Greetings Joe

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22367410/batch-file-gets-a-random-1-added-before-the-output-command

Batch file get's a random “1” added before the output command.

I found it :3

@blackwingcat

Hey, thanks for making KernelEx, it's super helpful!

My only problem is that Office 2007/2010 doesn't seem to work right properly. It seems that Word, Excel, etc. will work right but I heard Outlook 2007 cannot send mail. It would be really super helpful to have Office 2007 on Windows 2000, because unfortunately Outlook 2003 and Office 2003 in general are just not good enough. Any chance there could be full support for this?

Also, I saw a screenshot of the startup screen for W2K being modded to say "Powered by Extended Kernel", is there a way to disable this and keep the clean, original Windows 2000 look and feel? I don't want it to feel like I'm using a patched OS, I want it to feel seamless.

If you add to REGINST in SHELL32 these lines we have new VIEW in SEARCH RESULTS: THUMBNAILS:

[RegShellNamespace]
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_DocFindFolder%\%EXTVIEW%\%VID_ThumbView%","Attributes",%REGDW%, 0x60000000
HKCR,"CLSID\%CLSID_DocFindFolder%\%EXTVIEW%\%VID_ThumbView%","ISV",%REGEXSZ%, "%VID_ThumbView%"

Copied from Whistler 2211

1 hour ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Also, I saw a screenshot of the startup screen for W2K being modded to say "Powered by Extended Kernel", is there a way to disable this and keep the clean, original Windows 2000 look and feel? I don't want it to feel like I'm using a patched OS, I want it to feel seamless.

That only happens if you install extended core, since extended kernel doesn't modify ntoskrnl.exe (which contains the boot screens). You can use resource hacker to change it back to the original boot screen, but I keep it as a form of tribute to the guy who made win2k usable for at least 7 years longer than what M$ desired.

I prefer to keep the newer MS stuff to a minimum, as it can get quite messy on win2k as it tries to grapple its hook into what it thinks is a newer OS (uninstalling Office 2003 then installing 2007 is a recipe for disaster). Have you looked into Interlink Mail and News from @roytam1?

As much as I would like a fully functional Office 2010, I've had a good experience with WPS Office 2016, which tries very hard to copy the UIs and functionality of newer Office releases. It's far above 2003 in that respect (for Word, Excel and PowerPoint equivalents), and about 90-95% of the capability of the real MS Office 2016.

Edited by win32

On 11/28/2019 at 1:03 AM, win32 said:

That only happens if you install extended core, since extended kernel doesn't modify ntoskrnl.exe (which contains the boot screens). You can use resource hacker to change it back to the original boot screen, but I keep it as a form of tribute to the guy who made win2k usable for at least 7 years longer than what M$ desired.

@win32I get that, but I'd like to keep it as authentic as possible. But thanks for the clarification.

What's the difference between extended kernel and core?

I prefer to keep the newer MS stuff to a minimum, as it can get quite messy on win2k as it tries to grapple its hook into what it thinks is a newer OS (uninstalling Office 2003 then installing 2007 is a recipe for disaster). Have you looked into Interlink Mail and News from @roytam1?

It looks very similar to the far inferior Thunderbird.

Apparently, Word, PP, and Excel work fine, OneNote screenshots don't work, and Outlook can't send mail. It seems like it's *almost* there in terms of working 100%, but just a few things are missing.

Using non-Office products is not an option for any reason. Furthermore, Office 2003 and before is just not practice. It's not the lack of a ribbon, but the lack of support for many 2007/2010 features I use extensively as well as the whole file format thing.

As much as I would like a fully functional Office 2010, I've had a good experience with WPS Office 2016, which tries very hard to copy the UIs and functionality of newer Office releases. It's far above 2003 in that respect (for Word, Excel and PowerPoint equivalents), and about 90-95% of the capability of the real MS Office 2016.

But, like all Office copycats, still lacking in at least 5-10%.

If anything, I'd just be interested to know what's holding up full support for Office 2007, since only a few things seem not to work.

Otherwise, I have to use XP for Office while being able to use 2000 for almost everything else (almost, because apparently VLC on 2000 can't play MKV files)

Edited by Dylan Cruz

41 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

It looks very similar to the far inferior Thunderbird.

You're actually the second win2k user I know to complain about thunderbird. Unfortunately it does share distant lineage. I cannot comment much as I use web-based services. In the end, that guy found satisfaction with Opera 12.18's e-mail client.

57 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Apparently, Word, PP, and Excel work fine, OneNote screenshots don't work, and Outlook can't send mail. It seems like it's *almost* there in terms of working 100%, but just a few things are missing.

Using non-Office products is not an option for any reason. Furthermore, Office 2003 and before is just not practice. It's not the lack of a ribbon, but the lack of support for many 2007/2010 features I use extensively as well as the whole file format thing.

But, like all Office copycats, still lacking in at least 5-10%.

If anything, I'd just be interested to know what's holding up full support for Office 2007, since only a few things seem not to work.

Otherwise, I have to use XP for Office while being able to use 2000 for almost everything else (almost, because apparently VLC on 2000 can't play MKV files)

I understand your frustrations with older versions of Office. 2003 was good until I learned 2016 (whose key functionality exists in 2007 as well) and I realized what I was missing out on. I'd really love a working Office 2010 and would be good with 2007, but I've now received PowerPoint files that don't work well with 2007, only 2010 and above. So that's where WPS comes in.

One issue is that some releases of Office have been known to have certain bugs that are fixed, but with trickery done at the OS level. These quirks have made things difficult for the developers of WINE, ReactOS, and native extensions. It is said that ReactOS will never behave 100% like Windows due to the inability to replicate every quirk that makes Windows tick the way it does. Independent developers don't usually have the same connections in Microsoft, and don't usually have the same issues. (btw, WPS' screenshot feature works in win2k)

Remember to use dependency walker on the Office 2007 applications and keep note of any missing API calls, or any stated reasons for why stuff crashes.

I have VLC 3.0.0 installed. I don't have any MKV files right now but I vaguely remember playing them in the past.

8 minutes ago, win32 said:

You're actually the second win2k user I know to complain about thunderbird. Unfortunately it does share distant lineage. I cannot comment much as I use web-based services. In the end, that guy found satisfaction with Opera 12.18's e-mail client.

A primary problem is Outlook is more than just a mail client, which is all that most of the alternatives tend to be. I use the Outlook email, calendar, contacts, reminders, etc. features extensively.

I understand your frustrations with older versions of Office. 2003 was good until I learned 2016 (whose key functionality exists in 2007 as well) and I realized what I was missing out on. I'd really love a working Office 2010 and would be good with 2007, but I've now received PowerPoint files that don't work well with 2007, only 2010 and above. So that's where WPS comes in.

Hats off to you, Office 2013 and newer drive me crazy. Up through 2010, it was one click to save file. In 2013 and 2016, it became two. Now, in 2019, it's *three*. I think Microsoft is trying to drive us all insane. I would never run anything newer than 2010 even on a new Windows OS.

I like 2010 better than 2007, but I would be content with 2007 on W2K, knowing I can't have everything...

One issue is that some releases of Office have been known to have certain bugs that are fixed, but with trickery done at the OS level. These quirks have made things difficult for the developers of WINE, ReactOS, and native extensions. It is said that ReactOS will never behave 100% like Windows due to the inability to replicate every quirk that makes Windows tick the way it does. Independent developers don't usually have the same connections in Microsoft, and don't usually have the same issues. (btw, WPS' screenshot feature works in win2k)

I actually downloaded a tool called Snippy to replace the Snipping Tool from Windows 7. Not exactly the same, but PRINT SCREEN doesn't seem to work in W2K, so it's all I have.

Remember to use dependency walker on the Office 2007 applications and keep note of any missing API calls, or any stated reasons for why stuff crashes.

Well, I still need to get it working, first.

I have VLC 3.0.0 installed. I don't have any MKV files right now but I vaguely remember playing them in the past.

1.1.1 is the newest w/o KernelEx, so I'll have to try a newer one and see if that works.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 5:57 PM, win32 said:

Well, mostly. It works for most things, but I've run into some SSL issues recently with HTML e-mail. I still miss Outlook 2000, but something about it connecting to AOL's IMAP server completely breaks SSL, then nothing works. Same thing for 2003.

@blackwingcat, thanks so much for these kernel extensions. I make full use of them daily, and they make my computing that much better :)

Edited by nick99nack

• 2 weeks later...

The download server seems to be not working, I keep getting bad gateway errors.
EDIT: Never mind, it was my browser. Wouldn't download in FF45 SSE but DOES download in KM-Goanna

Edited by i430VX
oopsie

how about adding a pe64 compatible gui/interface
its a pe32 header with x64 support called PE32+
magic numbers being
0x10b
    PE32
0x20b
    PE32+
norms would be solved with a few if statements
the gui partly just would need 16 digits/signs
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/win32/debug/pe-format?redirectedfrom=MSDN#optional_header__image_only_

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 5:15 AM, piotrhn said:

shell32 please add 1 function from XP. its very esy to implement SHCreateLocalServerRunDllSHCreateLocalServerRunDll.txt

It references the following DCOM services.

{FFB8655F-81B9-4fce-B89C-9A6BA76D13E7}

{601AC3DC-786A-4EB0-BF40-EE3521E70BFB}

{995C996E-D918-4a8c-A302-45719A6F4EA7}

so it is difficult to implement.