KernelEx for Win2000

On 10/16/2019 at 6:54 AM, JosefReisinger said:

Yes it means Extended kernel DVD kit in 2016 Version.

I also tried to put exkernel 30e into hfslip package DVD. Setup hangs in the beginning of the gui setup "Please wait". Is it possible to slipstream this version? If no: Which is the last version of exkernel which will work?

I have not checked it yet.

Does it occur on VMWare environment ?

I have ran into some problems installing the kernel extention and I thought that this would be the best place to mention them.

so I'll start with where I got and what I got.

I installed all the necessary updates (so all the official ones and some of the other patches).

the hardware I got is

fx series CPU (fx-8120)

8GB ram

1TB Hdd for the operating system

Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card

asus motherboard m5a95 micro-atx

windows 2000 advanced server.

so now that I mentioned all the potentially important information

here is the problem i've been having

when I install the v30e update it breaks the part of the system that lets you login, I think that is the local domain(could be wrong though).

that makes it so I have to reinstall the operating system.

the second problem I run into is msi files don't work.

maybe there is something i'm missing, but the msi files that worked on a out of the box install, don't work anymore.

I would attach the error message but i'm not in front of that computer at the moment but I will attach it.

it says that the error code is 2894 as shown in the image anything that uses MSIexec doesn't work.

if there is a work around let me know

I figured it out it was missing c++ librarys

msvcr90.dll was missing and I diden't know that was the problem.

the V30eG (game guard bug fix) version of the update does install and not break the local login domain.

I just thought I would bring it up just in case nobody knew this was an issue.

I like this kernel extension keep up the great work!:D

MSI error.png

Edited by Miss-sakaki
to add more information and corrections

4 hours ago, Miss-sakaki said:

I have ran into some problems installing the kernel extention and I thought that this would be the best place to mention them.

so I'll start with where I got and what I got.

I installed all the necessary updates (so all the official ones and some of the other patches).

the hardware I got is

fx series CPU (fx-8120)

8GB ram

1TB Hdd for the operating system

Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card

asus motherboard m5a95 micro-atx

windows 2000 advanced server.

so now that I mentioned all the potentially important information

here is the problem i've been having

when I install the v30e update it breaks the part of the system that lets you login, I think that is the local domain(could be wrong though).

that makes it so I have to reinstall the operating system.

the second problem I run into is msi files don't work.

maybe there is something i'm missing, but the msi files that worked on a out of the box install, don't work anymore.

I would attach the error message but i'm not in front of that computer at the moment but I will attach it.

it says that the error code is 2894 as shown in the image anything that uses MSIexec doesn't work.

if there is a work around let me know

I figured it out it was missing c++ librarys

msvcr90.dll was missing and I diden't know that was the problem.

the V30eG (game guard bug fix) version of the update does install and not break the local login domain.

I just thought I would bring it up just in case nobody knew this was an issue.

I like this kernel extension keep up the great work!:D

MSI error.png

There is a problem with winsxs and "nosxs" made in former releases of exkernel (msvcr90 is now located in winsxs). Furthermore, the admin user is not able to access registry, because it seems to be hardened with the new exkernel files. If I slip v30eExkernel into DVD2017, i even cannot install any .inf - file, message "access denied". Also  "additional" update will not work. Net* in HFGUIRUNONCE will not install. I don't know if just the v30e kernel release is buggy with installations (regression) or other circumstances ... It works fine if I only copy the files of v30e over an existing installation (without installations of new programs). We need help from @blackwingcat ...

Greetings from Austria, Joe

To get around the error code 2894 in Windows Installers, you can also replace riched20.dll with the one you had before installing the extended kernel. That doesn't rely on the VC++ 9/2008 runtime.

I've yet to install 3.0e on my main workstation, but I did on my laptop (upgrade) and in a lab VM (clean). I haven't noticed any non-cosmetic issues.

Edited by win32

I solved the problems with Exkernel v30e in HFSLIP DVD. Most buggy was Net 1.0, it has to be pached and rewritten with qfcwin to 2k compatible. Then it installs very slow, but OK. I learned: If a program-cmd-installation "stucks" with msiexec, no further installation will proceed without reboot - and messages "dll error" or "access error"!! Also, Exkernel v30e doesn't like too many silent installs so I removed some of the swichtes "/passive" in hfguirunonce\additional.cmd. In the next days, I will test stability.

@blackwingcat: Thank you for your great work to keep k2k alive!

I have now assembled a proper KernelEx v30e v3.0e easy install CD with autorun and all.

You can watch a video demonstrating it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVlDH6jM0W8

Before using the CD you first need to install Internet Explorer 6 using http://dist.devon.com.de/en_windows_2000_ie6_setup_x86.iso

Burn it to a disc and put it in a computer and follow the prompts to fully install IE6 and reset your computer.

You can download the easy install CD from here http://dist.devon.com.de/en_windows_2000_sp5.1_ie6sp1_kernelex_x86.iso

Burn it to a disc and go through the list one by one installing each, resetting your computer between each one.

If you encounter a permission error with the QFE registry patch, copy the .cmd file to the desktop and execute it there.

After following everything as shown in the video you will have a fully operational Windows 2000 SP5.1 KernelEx v30e installation.

1342905852_kernelexsetup.png.1d2368880b9d3501615a1a0a66c00d6e.png

1106273150_kernelexcontinuedsetup.png.d423a93ca0c7c66ec40158e64fab0f1d.png

Edited by Devon Casper

No warez is contained within the distributed ISOs. And there may be some value in providing such packages to newcomers to win2k, but there are some issues:

-did you obtain permission from @blackwingcat or the creator of USP 5.1 to redistribute their files?

-SP4 UR1 and USP 5.1 are roughly equivalent; each one has its own issues and only one needs to be installed.

-the win2k extended kernel has no relation to the 9x kernelex and is not open-source.

-the high encryption pack was rolled into the OS in SP2.

-there is no indication that extended kernel development has stopped

-all extended kernel releases are cumulative: no previous versions need to be installed before the current version

1 hour ago, win32 said:

No warez is contained within the distributed ISOs. And there may be some value in providing such packages to newcomers to win2k, but there are some issues:

-did you obtain permission from @blackwingcat or the creator of USP 5.1 to redistribute their files?

-SP4 UR1 and USP 5.1 are roughly equivalent; each one has its own issues and only one needs to be installed.

-the win2k extended kernel has no relation to the 9x kernelex and is not open-source.

-the high encryption pack was rolled into the OS in SP2.

-there is no indication that extended kernel development has stopped

-all extended kernel releases are cumulative: no previous versions need to be installed before the current version

- I did not obtain permission to redistribute what I thought was a simple hotfix service pack that I was under the impression was Open Source.

- The update rollup I am using is the official one from microsoft not URollup 1, and from what I can tell it does a lot less then USP 5.1

- The high encryption pack is in the CD for those who need it, but it is not in the install CD menu for a reason, since as you said it has been in the OS since SP2.

- I originally wrote the descriptions in the install CD menu for kernelex v18g which was written in such a way on the Japanese website that made me think it was the last English version that will be distributed because of the lack of ability to debug it.

- Again, restatement, I originally put together this install CD menu for v18g but as you can see now it is purely v30e v3.0e in the install CD menu, and the v18g installer is only there for people who encounter bugs with the new release

I have updated the install CD to reflect your words, and here is the updated demonstration video

https://youtu.be/Uom_DPQzKxM

Changes include but are not limited to properly stating that it is closed source, fixing directory structure,

removing the high encryption package, giving credit to the developer of USP 5.1, and fixing alpha on the logo.

1314845085_kernelexsetup.thumb.png.2d64384f4256f99526fdc6cd4b1912ef.png

1465225857_kernelexcontinuedsetup.thumb.png.68cacebcaa9e2582ba4ce658987f9960.png

Edited by Devon Casper

There you go! Now it's starting to resemble some sort of 98SE/Me USP/option pack.

I've always thought about doing something like this, allowing for not only the extended kernel installation but other components such as WMP10/11, ,NET Framework, i430VX's browser installer etc. especially in light of the issues with component integration into the OS (HFSLIP 2000 with WMP9/DX9/IE6 goes fine, but apparently .NET is a nightmare).

There are also many options for the extended kernel; for those with multiple combinations of hardware (SSE-only to full blown DX10-ready machines), slipstreaming a preset config may not be ideal. So more experienced users may see value in this project as well.

1 minute ago, win32 said:

There you go! Now it's starting to resemble some sort of 98SE/Me USP/option pack.

I've always thought about doing something like this, allowing for not only the extended kernel installation but other components such as WMP10/11, ,NET Framework, i430VX's browser installer etc. especially in light of the issues with component integration into the OS (HFSLIP 2000 with WMP9/DX9/IE6 goes fine, but apparently .NET is a nightmare).

There are also many options for the extended kernel; for those with multiple combinations of hardware (SSE-only to full blown DX10-ready machines), slipstreaming a preset config may not be ideal. So more experienced users may see value in this project as well.

I was planning on having all that stuff and more as "extras" on the install CD but I could not fit it all in 700mb and of course old computers do not always have a DVD drive and only support CD. If I was to do that I would make 3 or 4 discs, and depending on how well it works I can outsource production of the discs to have a proper label done on them because lightscribe doesn't always have the best clarity.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, JosefReisinger said:

I solved the problems with Exkernel v30e in HFSLIP DVD. Most buggy was Net 1.0, it has to be pached and rewritten with qfcwin to 2k compatible. Then it installs very slow, but OK. I learned: If a program-cmd-installation "stucks" with msiexec, no further installation will proceed without reboot - and messages "dll error" or "access error"!! Also, Exkernel v30e doesn't like too many silent installs so I removed some of the swichtes "/passive" in hfguirunonce\additional.cmd. In the next days, I will test stability.

@blackwingcat: Thank you for your great work to keep k2k alive!

@blackwingcat: Unfortunally, I found out that exkernel v30e slipstreamed into dvd 2017 will NOT install some kb´s in hfextracted without proper CAT files. For example, "additional" kb will not install. I tried also to install "additional kb" manually. Message "access denied" - but registry shows the proper user rights and I CAN change the registry values with regedit. Log file attached, can you have a look on it?

Greetings Joe

Additional.log