KernelEx for Win2000

It's working great (including the XP compatible winsock), and I appreciate the integration of the compatibility tools.

Unfortunately when upgrading kernels (from v2.9h5 to i, and again from i to 3.0a), it breaks roytam1's browsers. I replaced New Moon with Serpent and it still wouldn't work; loading itself into memory and slowing down the shell until it was killed. This happened when both removing the old kernel before installing the new one and installing the new one on top of the old one.

Thus you have to do a clean install of win2k (or maybe a repair install) to get the browsers to work with the new kernel.

I wonder how many people use win2k as their main OS these days?

Edited by win32

5 hours ago, win32 said:

It's working great (including the XP compatible winsock), and I appreciate the integration of the compatibility tools.

Unfortunately when upgrading kernels (from v2.9h5 to i, and again from i to 3.0a), it breaks roytam1's browsers. I replaced New Moon with Serpent and it still wouldn't work; loading itself into memory and slowing down the shell until it was killed. This happened when both removing the old kernel before installing the new one and installing the new one on top of the old one.

Thus you have to do a clean install of win2k (or maybe a repair install) to get the browsers to work with the new kernel.

I wonder how many people use win2k as their main OS these days?

Hi,

did you remain the checkbox “disable Vista mui” ?

if you check off it and enabled it , then Windows will go down slowly. 

Yes, I kept it checked.

To clarify, the shell is only slow when the browser is in memory; once killing the process it's back to normal. Sometimes the shell doesn't slow down however.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:10 PM, win32 said:

Yes, I kept it checked.

To clarify, the shell is only slow when the browser is in memory; once killing the process it's back to normal. Sometimes the shell doesn't slow down however.

There is well known problem on Web browser with Externded kernel v2.8 and later.

There are three ways to resolve the problem.

* Not use XP compatible Winsock (It may be requires to reinstall tcp-ip) (Chrome / Firefox)

* Check off any "Disabled" functions Vista /Win7. (Chrome)

* Change Security soft. ( Perhaps it comes frim any security soft's driver or service )

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm only using Firefox-based browsers so I think it should be the XP-compatible Winsock (I went from v2.8 to 2.9bG, neither of which had the option, and had no issues). In all cases I was only running ZoneAlarm 6.5 so it probably isn't that.

I'll keep that in mind when the next kernel upgrade is due.

I also discovered that MPC-HC 1.7.13 is now able to play videos with v3.0a, whereas it would just crash with previous kernels. :)

Hello, I'm trying to translate latest 2.9 release to Russian language. I'am facing two problems:

- almost all the apps using VC++ or MFC refuse to work properly until I install Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable package (even if it was not required in the clean system). It that OK?

- when I'm running Extended Kernel setup program it gives some messages about pattern mismatch (?) but completes successfully. After reboot shell open/save dialogs are broken until I replace comdlg32.dll with original one or copy from Extended Kernel package (does that DLL somehow get corrupted in the process of installation?) (my fault)

Edited by MVoloshin

That may be the riched20.dll issue popping up. I had problems with VC++-written software and certain Windows Installers (like the one for Office 2003). Replace it with the one from KB953024 that tomasz86 mentioned above.

@blackwingcat did update WordPad to work with his riched20.dll, though I still have Office 2003 setup failing until I replace the file.

Edited by win32
clarify broken software

5 hours ago, MVoloshin said:

Hello again! After .DLL translation and rebasing I've lost ability to manage disabled Vista functions (cannot enable them). What could get wrong?

Hi.

Which kernel32.dll file did you use ?

Extended kernel sequence is the following way.

* extract %temp%\IXP****.TMP

* setup.exe patches to kernel32.dll with some options.

* update.exe installs to system32.

You should patch it before setup.exe complete with options.

3 hours ago, blackwingcat said:

Hi.

Which kernel32.dll file did you use ?

Extended kernel sequence is the following way.

* extract %temp%\IXP****.TMP

* setup.exe patches to kernel32.dll with some options.

* update.exe installs to system32.

You should patch it before setup.exe complete with options.

http://sbornik-obrazov-dlya-bochs-i-qemu.ru/pub/Windows2000-KB935839-v29iG-x86-RUS-v2.zip

Look, please. I've replaced text resources in Kernel32, changed its base address and recalculated checksum (after some localization-related hex edits)

51 minutes ago, MVoloshin said:

http://sbornik-obrazov-dlya-bochs-i-qemu.ru/pub/Windows2000-KB935839-v29iG-x86-RUS-v2.zip

Look, please. I've replaced text resources in Kernel32, changed its base address and recalculated checksum (after some localization-related hex edits)

Umm, What does it mean "I've lost ability to manage disabled Vista functions (cannot enable them)." ?

3 hours ago, blackwingcat said:

Umm, What does it mean "I've lost ability to manage disabled Vista functions (cannot enable them)." ?

For example, I unselect "Disable InitializeCondition functions" and install Extended Kernel. After reboot I still get "InitializeConditionVariable" not found in kernel32.dll (no effect). Such things do not happen on original English version.

14 hours ago, MVoloshin said:

For example, I unselect "Disable InitializeCondition functions" and install Extended Kernel. After reboot I still get "InitializeConditionVariable" not found in kernel32.dll (no effect). Such things do not happen on original English version.

It seems not to have problem.

How about do you compare kernel32 file before and after setup.exe patches to kernel32.dll with some options ?

Is installed kernel32 version 5.0.2195.7272 in system32 ?