KernelEx for Win2000

I'm having an issue with the Windows Installer Service. It seems to have started when I upgraded kernel extension v2.0n3 to v2.0o. Now I can't use the service, it just produces the standard cannot access Windows Installer Service. When I go into the services panel and try starting it manually, I get an error saying "Could not start the Windows Installer service on Local Computer. Error 997: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress."

Umm....

On my environment seems not have any problem.

How about Windows2000-KB971913-x86-INTL.exe ?

I'm having an issue with the Windows Installer Service. It seems to have started when I upgraded kernel extension v2.0n3 to v2.0o. Now I can't use the service, it just produces the standard cannot access Windows Installer Service. When I go into the services panel and try starting it manually, I get an error saying "Could not start the Windows Installer service on Local Computer. Error 997: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress."

Edited by blackwingcat

I found the problem on this forum, seems using msiexec /regserver from a command prompt fixes this problem. Why this happened in the first place, I have no idea. The only patches I've been using is the kernel extension updates.

It almost seems that Office 2010 is almost installable however it fails when trying to register some kind of service, seems like it was software protection or the like. I have no idea why this happened but the steps I took to make this partially work was setting the actual trial download from Microsoft to XP SP3 compatibility and then also setting setup.exe to XP SP3 compatibility. It almost completes but then that error shows up and the whole thing rolls back to the beginning. Just thought I'd report that as we're getting closer to Office 2010.

I found the problem on this forum, seems using msiexec /regserver from a command prompt fixes this problem. Why this happened in the first place, I have no idea. The only patches I've been using is the kernel extension updates.

I can confirm that there are no problems with Windows Installer after installing the kernel here.

I can vouch that with v2.1 kernel extension that Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007 will install and it seems to run fine as long as you set the the setup file and also setup.exe to Windows XP Service Pack 3 mode. Extracting it and then trying to install doesn't work, at least for me. I don't know if this was ever reported or not so I figured I'd bring it up now.

Edited by SearanoX

Hi.

What does it mean "Extracting it and then trying to install doesn't work, at least for me" ?

I can vouch that with v2.1 kernel extension that Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007 will install and it seems to run fine as long as you set the the setup file and also setup.exe to Windows XP Service Pack 3 mode. Extracting it and then trying to install doesn't work, at least for me. I don't know if this was ever reported or not so I figured I'd bring it up now.

@blackwingcat

I meant that if you have WinZIP or WinRAR installed, you can open up the archive. For example, if I download the trial version of Office 2010, it's just a single file archive. If you right click on it, you can open it up with WinRAR and extract it to a directory of your choice. However, doing that makes the installation run into problems on Win2k. In the case of Office 2010, the usual error the pops up when launching setup.exe is "The Language of this installation package is not supported by your system."

Hi.

If you installed Office 2010 SP1.

PLz change binary by the following :)

%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe

00033fbc: 85C0752BFF15 -> 85C0EB2BFF15

%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\Osetup.DLL

001CD8D9: FF159C11001085C00F95C0 -> FF159C11001085C06A0158

001E29AE: FF159C11001085C075 ->FF159C11001085C0EB

001E2A61: FF159C11001085C075 ->FF159C11001085C0EB

001E307A: FF159C11001085C075 ->FF159C11001085C0EB

@blackwingcat

I meant that if you have WinZIP or WinRAR installed, you can open up the archive. For example, if I download the trial version of Office 2010, it's just a single file archive. If you right click on it, you can open it up with WinRAR and extract it to a directory of your choice. However, doing that makes the installation run into problems on Win2k. In the case of Office 2010, the usual error the pops up when launching setup.exe is "The Language of this installation package is not supported by your system."

I will try that later on and see what happens!

However, I've been getting another error that bugging me. I'm using the new v2.1a kernel extension with the NT6 msvcrt.dll, and I'm getting a critical stop error popping up randomly it seems.

mscorsvw.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The Procedure entry point FlsSetValue could not be located in dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

It did this with version 2.0o as well. I'm not sure if this is related to using the NT6 version of msvcrt or not but I thought I'd report it.

Can you add to

Kernel32:

SetFileShortNameW <<-- Windows 8 Setup

advapi32:

RegSaveKeyExW

RegisterIdleTask

UnregisterIdleTask

ntoskrnl:

RtlHashUnicodeString

winsta:

RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore

WinStationIsHelpAssistantSession

ntdll:

ZwOpenProcessTokenEx <<-- Windows 8 Setup

ZwOpenThreadTokenEx <<-- Windows 8 Setup

setupapi:

SetupDiGetDevicePropertyW <<-- Windows 8 Setup

These functions are required by System Restore (XP).

Edited by piotrhn

That's what I thought as it was brought up before, but why would it be popping up on my Win2k workstation randomly? It doesn't seem to have a program or anything that causes it to pop up, it just pops up, even when I would shut down. :o

The Procedure entry point FlsSetValue could not be located in dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683146%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Normally the API is present in Windows 2003 Server and newer only.

Hi.

Are there old kernel32 or kernelxp with msvcrt.dll in office or assembly path?

If you can't see assembly path, execute following command in cmd.exe

cd %systemroot%\assembly

attrib -h -s -r desktop.ini

delete desktop.ini

I will try that later on and see what happens!

However, I've been getting another error that bugging me. I'm using the new v2.1a kernel extension with the NT6 msvcrt.dll, and I'm getting a critical stop error popping up randomly it seems.

mscorsvw.exe - Entry Point Not Found

It did this with version 2.0o as well. I'm not sure if this is related to using the NT6 version of msvcrt or not but I thought I'd report it.

Edited by blackwingcat

Sorry, priority of this request is Low bacause I know the System Restore requires Volume Shadow Copy Service.

Can you add to

Kernel32:

SetFileShortNameW

advapi32:

RegSaveKeyExW

RegisterIdleTask

UnregisterIdleTask

ntoskrnl:

RtlHashUnicodeString

winsta:

RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore

WinStationIsHelpAssistantSession

These functions are required by System Restore (XP).