Couple of questions about installing from USB

Hi Everyone

I have been using WinSetupfromUSB a while now and have got to the point where i would like to include things within the post installation routine.

I have got both Windows 7 and Windows XP set as installation sources and i was hoping to have an application run upon first boot within both OS's.

I am of the understanding that editing winnt.sif within the I386 folder for XP will allow me to run an application using the GUIRUNONCE section however all the references for this that i have seen mention %systemdrive%. The problem with this is that the app i wish to run is 2GB+ in size so copying it to the root of the target machine is not an option. I have been thinking that i can just use the following but i'm not 100% sure as i have been unable to test it:

[GUIRUNONCE]

"U:\DriverInstaller\DriverInstaller.exe"

Is this correct?

If so, how do i accomplish the same thing within Windows 7?

My final question for this post is about Hidden Files.

I wan to store other applications/files on the same drive as the Installation sources. If i make these existing files Hidden will the drive still boot and install correctly?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

[GUIRUNONCE]
"U:\DriverInstaller\DriverInstaller.exe"

I would use a cmd script, which finds the USB drive letter and executes whatever you need from it. Add an entry for this script in txtsetup.sif so it gets copied to system32 or wherever.

Something like this:

If so, how do i accomplish the same thing within Windows 7?
I am not so familiar with 7/Vista, but if you don't get an answer here search or ask in the relevant subforums:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/167-unattended-windows-7server-2008r2/

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/165-windows-7/

If i make these existing files Hidden will the drive still boot and install correctly?
Should cause no problem, just in case, always copy boot files first/prepare the USB drive and add custom files later.

Thanks for your response,

just tried to make all the files and folders hidden and it completes the Text based part of the installation but then gets stuck in a loop on the second part. If i make them visible files again it works. :huh:

To this end i am wondering if it is at all possible to put all the Installation files in a folder called Installation or will this completely screw up the installation routines? I am ok with editing any files that may need altering to accomodate the change in file structure.

I understood you were going to make your custom files hidden.

Which version of WinSetupFromUSB did you use? Folder structure is different between 0.x.x and 1.x versions.

REALLY sorry for the delayed response. Not looked at this issue for a few days now. I am using Winsetup 1.0 beta 6.

thanks

Files to amend with your custom location:

1) menu.lst

2) winsetup.lst

3) txtsetup.sif in the small ISO in \WINSETUP\, section SetupData

4) setup.cmd in \WINSETUP\XP....\I386

5) the one(s) I've forgotten about :)

Are you really bothered by 2 folders on your USB stick :unsure: ?

Files to amend with your custom location:

1) menu.lst

2) winsetup.lst

3) txtsetup.sif in the small ISO in \WINSETUP\, section SetupData

4) setup.cmd in \WINSETUP\XP....\I386

5) the one(s) I've forgotten about :)

Are you really bothered by 2 folders on your USB stick :unsure: ?

It's not so much that i'm bothered per say, it's just that i like to be able to work quickly and having a huge amount of folders in the root of my external drive slows me down a little. If it does start to become tedious and complicated i will just forget it as a bad idea.

Do you know which files need editing for windows 7 too?

Cheers